84K views 364 replies 36 participants last post by  varar 
#1 ·
News that are not related to Tennis activity of Andre will be posted here

#149 ·
i found something from February 2009 that we already missed,
Andre will play in July:

Agassi Back, Debuts July 2009 in World TeamTennis League

Posted on February 26, 2009

Andre Agassi will return to professional team tennis competition this summer, playing two matches for the Philadelphia Freedoms of the Advanta World TeamTennis Pro League.

The 2009 Advanta WTT Pro League schedule includes 73 matches in 10 markets, beginning July 2 and running through July 26. The Eastern and Western Conference Champions will battle for the Advanta WTT Championship title on July 26.

Agassi, who previously played World TeamTennis from 2002 to 2004, will play for the Freedoms on July 10 in Philadelphia and one road match on July 17 in Newport Beach, Calif.

"Playing World TeamTennis is a great experience," Agassi said. "Team play is a terrific way to showcase tennis, especially for kids. WTT is competitive, it's fun and there's a really great energy from the fans. I'm looking forward to playing WTT again."

Agassi won 60 career singles titles including eight Grand Slams.

"It's exciting to have Andre back in the Advanta World TeamTennis Pro League," said WTT CEO/Commissioner Ilana Kloss. "Not only is he one of the game's greatest ambassadors, but he has a
unique connection with fans. He always brings something special to the court."

Agassi joins previously-announced 2009 marquee players including Serena Williams (Washington Kastles), Venus Williams (Philadelphia Freedoms), Martina Navratilova (Boston Lobsters), John McEnroe (New York Sportimes); Anna Kournikova (St. Louis Aces), Michael Chang (Sacramento Capitals) and Bob and Mike Bryan (Kansas City Explorers).

#150 ·
Monday, May 18, 2009 Eight players list for America Tennis Championships in Surprise Arizona, in October 2009 is anounced:
Besides Andre Agassi they will be:

InsideOut Sports & Entertainment announced today the full field of players who will join Agassi at the 2009 Cancer Treatment Centers of America Tennis Championships in Surprise, Ariz., to be played Oct. 8-11. Completing the eight-player field will be Hall of Famers Jim Courier and Mats Wilander, 2003 Wimbledon finalist Mark Philippoussis, 1992 Olympic silver medalist Wayne Ferreira, 1986 French Open finalist Mikael Pernfors and former U.S. Davis Cup standouts Aaron Krickstein and Jimmy Arias.

#152 ·
Andre Agassi met Anton Carter, Golden Ticket winner, at Wimbledon

Andre Agassi met Anton Carter, who won the Golden Ticket competition for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, at Wimbledon.
Carter was selected from more than 100,000 entries, inclusive of all ticket purchasers to date.

The young tennis fan received a signed Golden Ticket from Agassi and was upgraded to a premium seat for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, to be held from 22-29 November at The O2 arena.

“Anton really enjoyed meeting Andre Agassi at Wimbledon. It was an experience he will never forget. It was such a massive surprise for Anton to win the Golden Ticket to the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. We are really looking forward to seeing the world’s top tennis players in the world play at The O2 this November.” said Paul Carter, who accompanied his son on the visit.

#155 ·
I saw a clip today on Tennis Channel during the FO replay of matches with Andre talking about Agassi Prep. There were several students also talking about how they never thought they'd go to college. I couldn't record it -- and anyway I came in on it late. But if you have TTC, check it out. I'm sure it'll air again.

Also, someone on the Steffi thread on the women's board reported that French TV is offering a 45 minute documentary with interviews with Steffi and Andre and the 10 year anniversary of their French Open victories to air before the men's singles final. It's on France2?

If anyone in Europe can record this, can you please share with us via Youtube???? Many thanks in advance.

#160 ·
Andre will play soon on July 12, 2009

Andre Agassi playing to fight breast cancer—Tickets on sale NOW!By Mel Fabrikant Monday, June 29 2009, 02:00 PM EDT

Andre Agassi Legendary tennis great will appear in Cole Schotz Celebrity Match at The Kennedy Funding Invitational on July 12

Tennis legend Andre Agassi, a favorite among fans and players throughout his 20+ year career, will appear at The Kennedy Funding Invitational, a charity tennis tournament to raise awareness and funding to fight breast cancer. The fourth annual event will be held July 8-12 at Dellwood Country Club in New City, NY. In addition to Men’s and Women’s tournaments, the Cole Schotz Celebrity Match has become a highlight of the annual festivities. The Celebrity Match will be on Sunday, July 12 at 4:00 pm.

A limited number of tickets are available to the Andre Agassi match at $100 each. Tickets can be purchased at ticketmaster.com and at all Ticketmaster outlets. To charge tickets by phone, call (800) 745-3000. Seating is limited and tickets will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis. Tickets for the tournament matches are free and can be obtained by visiting the tournament’s official website at www.thekennedyfundinginvitational.com.

In just its first three years, The Kennedy Funding Invitational has raised $3 million to benefit The Leslie Simon Breast Care and Cytodiagnosis Center at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center and the Breast Center at Nyack Hospital. Past participants in the Celebrity Match have included former tennis greats Pete Sampras and John McEnroe.

This year, Agassi takes the spotlight at The Kennedy Funding Invitational. Known for his aggressive play and flamboyant style, Agassi was a favorite among fans and players throughout his 21-year career, winning an Olympic Gold Medal and a total of 68 titles. He is one of only five male players to have won all four Grand Slam singles titles and the all four Grand Slam singles titles on three different surfaces. He was ranked the Number 1 player in the world during both 1995 and 1999 and consistently ranked among the top 10 throughout his career. Now retired from competition, he isfocused on the work of his Foundation. The Andre Agassi Foundation is dedicated to transforming U.S. public education for underserved youth. At the center of the Foundation’s mission is the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy, a K-12 charter school located in Las Vegas’ most socio-economically disadvantaged neighborhood. More information is available at www.agassifoundation.org only men’s player to have won.

To find out more about becoming a sponsor, or for information on tickets for the tournament matches, please visit www.thekennedyfundinginvitational.com.

#162 ·
Agassi to be honored on first night of US Open 2009
The Associated Press
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Andre Agassi is coming back to the U.S. Open.

The two-time champion will headline the Grand Slam tournament's opening night ceremony on Aug. 31, celebrating athletes' charity work.

He began the Andre Agassi Foundation in 1994, the year of his first title at Flushing Meadows. He also won the 1999 U.S. Open for the fifth of his eight Grand Slam titles.

Agassi ended his 21-year career there when he retired after the 2006 tournament.

Among his foundation's main efforts is the charter school in Las Vegas named for the tennis star. It graduated its first senior class in June, sending all 34 students to college.

#165 ·
short update:
Jul. 08, 2009
Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

LEFTOVERS: Agassi continues to serve
Andre Agassi returns to center stage of the U.S. Open next month, and he won't even have to work up a sweat or swing a tennis racket.

The Las Vegan and a few other sports figures will be honored for their charitable work on Aug. 31 during opening-night ceremonies.

The eight-time Grand Slam winner founded the Andre Agassi Foundation in 1994, the same year he won his first of two Open titles. The organization has raised nearly $75 million to provide opportunities for at-risk youth in Southern Nevada.

The Las Vegas charter school that bears Agassi's name graduated its first high school class this year.

Later this month, Agassi, 39, will compete in two matches for the Philadelphia Freedom in the World Team Tennis league.

Even in retirement, he's never far from the court....

#168 ·
Agassi joins cause to fight breast cancer
By Harold Gutmann • hgutmann@lohud.com • July 13, 2009

NEW CITY - After seeing all the problems in the world, Andre Agassi said he was faced with a choice - sit and complain about it or act.

"Saying you care is one thing, but sooner or later caring has to become doing," Agassi said.

Andre Agassi plays an exhibition match at the
Kennedy Funding Invitational in New City yesterday.

So the tennis great started his own foundation, which built a free charter school in a poverty-striken area of Las Vegas. That philanthropic spirit also brought Agassi, 39, to Rockland County yesterday for the Kennedy Funding Invitational, a tennis event that raised $500,000 for the breast-care centers at Englewood and Nyack hospitals.

"To come here and help do something that gives back to those that have been afflicted with that disease is important to me," said Agassi, whose mother and sister are breast-cancer survivors.

Agassi defeated Justin Gimelstob in a charity exhibition match, spoke at a sponsors luncheon and hit around with high-end donors for an hour at Dellwood Country Club.

"It's intimidating," said New City resident Mark Geller, who played with Agassi. "You always want to see what the top was like, and I saw the top, and there's a very big spread between here and there. But it was a lot of fun, he's very gracious and he didn't hurt me."

Playing Gimelstob in front of 1,350 people, a good-natured Agassi lost the first set 6-3, won the second 6-3 and then took a super tiebreaker 12-10 to decide the 90-minute match.

"It's unique for anybody to see him anywhere, but for Rockland County it was extraordinarily special," Geller said.

The KFI has raised $2.5 million over the past four years, which has helped Nyack Hospital buy Rockland County's first digital mammography units and expand The Breast Center. The hospital will soon purchase state-of-the-art ultrasound equipment.

"Rockland County has probably the highest rate of breast cancer in New York state, so we're sensitive to the disease," said Geller, who is the director of radiology at Nyack. "We completely renovated our breast program by virtue of this event."

(2 of 2)

During Agassi's press conference, he left no doubt who he thought was better, Roger Federer or Pete Sampras. Federer surpassed Sampras' Grand Slam record last July 5 at Wimbledon.

"I played Federer in the finals of the U.S. Open, and strictly from being on the court, what he brings to the table is simply unmatched by anybody I've ever competed against," Agassi said. "Pete got to the semis of the French Open once. Federer would have had five French Open championships if it wasn't for one freak of nature from Majorca (Rafael Nadal). His records and accomplishments are unimaginable for someone like myself."

Agassi also said it was clear how much better today's players are than in his era.

"Every sport that you can measure accomplishments, whether it's how much weight you can lift or how fast you can run or how high you can jump, we've seen athletes get stronger, get better," Agassi said. "I watch these guys play from my living room, and I thank God I don't play anymore."

Agassi was the third straight tennis legend to come to Dellwood for the event, following Sampras in 2007 and John McEnroe last year. Tournament director James Miller was already mulling options for next year, deciding whether to focus on the men's and women's tournaments by increasing prize money and installing hard courts, or going for celebrities such as the Williams sisters.

"But at the end of the day I'm positive we're going to come up with something that's going to knock everyone's socks off," Miller said.

Note: Melanie Oudin won the $12,500 women's tournament, defeating West Rock Tennis Club instructor Lauren Cash 6-1, 6-0. Oudin, 17, jumped from No. 124 to No. 70 in the world rankings after making the fourth round of Wimbledon.

#170 ·
Breakers Edge Agassi's Freedoms
By Steve Pratt Saturday, July 19, 2009

Andre Agassi’s "Image is Everything" campaign still reigns supreme as the sellout crowd of 2,000 at Breakers Stadium at Newport Beach Country Club greeted his pre-match introduction with a standing ovation. However, the lasting image upon the conclusion of Friday’s Advanta World TeamTennis Pro League match was one of Ramon Delgado conquering yet another tennis legend and entrenching the reigning WTT Male MVP as the league’s dominant singles player.

Six days after beating Michael Chang and securing a Breakers victory, Delgado beat Agassi in the final set of the night and the Breakers, beginning their season-ending, four-match homestand, withstood the Agassi challenge and captured a 23-18 victory.

"I only beat them when they retire," Delgado joked. "It really pumps me up to play these guys, but it’s really an honor. At least I can say I beat him (Agassi) once. We played four times (on the ATP Tour). We played in the U.S. Open, in the third round in 2001 and 2002. One other time, I had match points against him."

The Breakers (7-4) will clinch the Western Conference’s second and final playoff spot Sunday with a win at home against the Sacramento Capitals, a team the Breakers have beaten in each of their three matchups this season. The Breakers last made the playoffs in 2006, the last of three consecutive years in which the team reached the WTT Finals. The Springfield Lasers (10-0), WTT’s only perfect team, have clinched the Western Conference crown and will host the WTT playoffs’ Western Conference final on July 24.

"To go 4-0 against Sacramento would be great," Breakers second-year player and Newport Beach native Kaes Van’t Hof said. "Sacramento is definitely our rival. With them, we have NorCal-SoCal."

Agassi, the former World No.1 who retired from the ATP Tour since 2006, made his WTT debut in Orange County Friday in front of his wife, women’s tennis legend and longtime World No. 1 Steffi Graf, two children, and friend and Laguna Beach resident Lindsay Davenport. He opened the match with a win in mixed doubles with Lisa Raymond, played to the crowd with multiple gestures and elicited oohs and aahs with his shot-making.

Delgado and Van’t Hof topped Agassi and Nathan Healey in men’s doubles, 5-2, to rally the Breakers to their first lead of the night, 13-12, after three sets. Marie-Eve Pelletier and Julie Ditty gave the Breakers a 18-15 lead by defeating Lisa Raymond and Madison Keys in women’s doubles, 5-3. Delgado closed out the match with an impressive set of serving and groundstrokes in a 5-2 victory over Agassi.

"Today I was reflecting on when I used to watch him (Agassi). I was born in 1986 so my whole junior career, I was watching him," Van’t Hof said. "I idolized him. We played well tonight. I’m getting confidence because Ramon and I are the best doubles team in the league."

Agassi, 39, played the last of two matches for Philadelphia (4-7) on Friday. This WTT season marked his return to organized professional tennis since retiring from the ATP Tour in 2006. He previously played in WTT for Sacramento from 2002-04. He is the only player in tennis history to win all four Grand Slam titles and an Olympic gold medal, at the 1996 Atlanta Games. Agassi won Wimbledon in 1992, the U.S. Open in 1994 and 1999, the Australian Open in 1995, 2000, 2001 and 2003, and the 1999 French Open.

"The first reason why I'm playing World TeamTennis is because of (Breakers co-owner and WTT co-founder) Billie Jean (King)," Agassi said. "The short answer is she asked me. The long answer is I have a great deal of respect for her contributions to tennis, to sports, to anybody who has a daughter, anybody who has a mother. She has changed the landscape for all of us. I forgot how competitive it is. I thought it would just be pretty easy, play five games, you get to sit down. But it's highly competitive.

"If I can come out here and make a difference and people have fun as a result of it, I get to see a lot of old friends, get to connect with a game that's been very kind to me, then that's a win across the board. This is a great environment to do it."

Agassi, teaming with two-time WTT Female MVP, two-time WTT champion and nine-time Grand Slam doubles champion Raymond, helped the Freedoms to a first-set tiebreaker victory, 5-4. Full of smiles, Agassi buckled down in the tiebreaker and won the last two points of the tiebreak with a lunging backhand return down the line and a backhand volley down the middle of the court to take the tiebreak, 5-2.

The Breakers’ task didn’t get easier in the second set of the night, women’s singles, against Philadephia’s Madison Keys, the youngest player in WTT this season at 14. Keys has played beyond her years this week, already dispatching reigning Wimbledon champion Serena Williams 5-1 on Monday. The Breakers’ Marie-Eve Pelletier put up a valiant fight, but fell to the junior phenom, 5-4 (5-3 in the tiebreak).

Before the match, Kronemann was honored by WTT Commissioner Ilana Kloss for his 20 years of WTT service as a player and coach.

Results

Mixed Doubles – Andre Agassi/Lisa Raymond (P) def. Kaes Van’t Hof/Julie Ditty (NB), 5-4 (5-2 tiebreak)

Women’s Singles – Madison Keys (P) def. Marie-Eve Pelletier (NB), 5-4 (5-3 tiebreak)

Men’s Doubles – Ramon Delgado/Van’t Hof (NB) def. Andre Agassi/Nathan Healey (P), 5-2

Women’s Doubles – Ditty/Pelletier (NB) def. Raymond/Keys (P), 5-3
Men’s Singles – Delgado (NB) def. Agassi (P), 5-3

Final: Newport Beach Breakers 23, Philadelphia Freedoms 18

A limited amount of tickets are available for the Maria Sharapova package – a two-match package for $60 that includes admission to the Breakers’ next match, 7:05 p.m. Sunday, July 19 against Sacramento, as well as their regular season finale on Wednesday, July 22 vs. Kansas City, a match in which Maria Sharapova will play for the Breakers – and the Breakers’ July 21 match vs. John McEnroe and the New York Sportimes. Tickets and team information can be obtained at www.NewportBeachBreakers.com or by calling the ticket office at 714-352-6301

#172 ·
Originally posted by Vaness in Dinara's WTF

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090727/SPORTS/90727019/1002

ASHEVILLE — The tennis exhibition scheduled Aug. 6 between Marat Safin and Novak Djokovic at the Asheville Civic Center has been cancelled.
Instead, Safin will appear in an exhibition on Aug. 28 at the Civic Center against eight-time Grand Slam champion Andre Agassi.
Safin, formerly ranked No. 1 in the world, has won two grand Slam titles. Agassi, 39, retired in 2006 having won 60 men's tour championships.

“We are honored to have such tennis greats as Andre and Marat play the very first Grand Slam Asheville,” said Brian Woods, the event’s promoter and a local sports agent. “This will be Andre’s first exhibition match against an active player since his retirement and the biggest tennis exhibition of the year.”

#173 ·
This will be Andre’s first exhibition match against an active player since his retirement and the biggest tennis exhibition of the year.”

Really good news, thank you Camilia :wavey:
I expect nice tennis. Maratik is not that hero anymore but he is still active player and will try to win vs. great Andre...
We would be able support Andre as it was earlier ... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.