Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?

Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #31
country flag Avon

Avon has a reputation beyond reputeAvon has a reputation beyond reputeAvon has a reputation beyond reputeAvon has a reputation beyond reputeAvon has a reputation beyond reputeAvon has a reputation beyond reputeAvon has a reputation beyond reputeAvon has a reputation beyond reputeAvon has a reputation beyond reputeAvon has a reputation beyond reputeAvon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are teenagers ?

Out Partying with Gasguet?

Avon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #32
country flag Ouragan

Ouragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond reputeOuragan has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely don't see any guy from 1992 winning a grand slam this year like Chang, Wilander or Becker did at 17
Ouragan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #33
country flag marcRD
Banned!

marcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to often be lapses in generations. We had the Federer, Safin, Roddick, Nalbandian, Hewitt, Ferrero, Davydenko generation born 81-82 then we had the 86-87 pack of talent with Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Tsonga, Gasquet, Monfils and so on..

In between there seems to be almost nothing, players born in between generations like Ancic and Verdasco. I expect the next "new generation" of players to be born 91-92 or something like that, it seems they come every 5 years out of their cavern.
marcRD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #34
country flag its.like.that
Banned!

its.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
I don't think someone of 19 is a child, you are pretty close to being fully developed when you are 19.
Not at all.

I know that sprinters in running and swimming, are at their physical peak in their mid-late 20's.

Not that tennis players have the same build, but I still believe that a lot of players develop strength in their mid 20's that they did not previously have.
its.like.that is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #35
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

If you consider Becker, Wilander and Chang who won GS`s at a very young age, they were professionally trained since they were kids and started playing the sport seriously at a very young age. That made it possible for them to challenge guys that were older than they but who had been considerably older when they starded training professionally.
So why doesn´t this work nowadays? Because everybody starts young and plays at some Bollettieri academy or something since 10 years old. Because of this, the level of play has improved substantially, not to mention the physical aspect of the game. Top players today are so much better and stronger than before, that no 17 year old can beat them. Eventually they will, it just takes longer to get there, because the gap between top juniors and top pros is so much wider than 10-20 years ago.
Let´s face it; a 17-year old Becker wouldn´t win Wimbledon today, just as a 17-year old Chang would struggle to make it past the 2nd round at RG.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #36
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

when Mugs like Verdasco can break top 10 and look threatening at 26 when most of his career he's look like a complete non-entity you know somethings gone wrong
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #37
martinatreue

martinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond reputemartinatreue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcRD View Post
There seems to often be lapses in generations. We had the Federer, Safin, Roddick, Nalbandian, Hewitt, Ferrero, Davydenko generation born 81-82 then we had the 86-87 pack of talent with Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Tsonga, Gasquet, Monfils and so on..

In between there seems to be almost nothing, players born in between generations like Ancic and Verdasco. I expect the next "new generation" of players to be born 91-92 or something like that, it seems they come every 5 years out of their cavern.

The graphic seems to suggest quite a long-term trend so I am not so sure that it's an issue of "generations." I think the older players are stronger physically, MORE EMOTIONALLY MATURE! during matches, MORE DISCIPLINED in SHOT SELECTION and have MORE VERSATILITY and VARIETY in their games. The young guns these days seem to come out and have somewhat one-dimensional, ball-bashing or flashy games but not enough tactical awareness, physical endurance, strength or discipline in matches. The older players play the match and not just the ball basically. The younger ones need more time to learn how to play smarter and get stronger. Andy Murray went out and got himself stronger but he already had the tactical intelliegence. The Gulbises, Monfilses, Cilices of the tour still have a lot to learn about tactics, versatility and conditioning IMO.
martinatreue is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #38
country flag JoshDragon

JoshDragon has a reputation beyond reputeJoshDragon has a reputation beyond reputeJoshDragon has a reputation beyond reputeJoshDragon has a reputation beyond reputeJoshDragon has a reputation beyond reputeJoshDragon has a reputation beyond reputeJoshDragon has a reputation beyond reputeJoshDragon has a reputation beyond reputeJoshDragon has a reputation beyond reputeJoshDragon has a reputation beyond reputeJoshDragon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
The 89-90 generation has not created future champions, the 91-92 will be better (Tomic, Dmitrov, Krajinovic).
That's not necessarily true. Nishikori and Young are both in that age range. Young, will probably never be a champion but I'm not sure about Nishikori. He's still got a lot of time to improve his game and his prime years will be post Nadal/Federer rivalry. It's very possible that he could be a top 10 player and maybe win a couple majors.
JoshDragon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #39
country flag penzias

penzias has a reputation beyond reputepenzias has a reputation beyond reputepenzias has a reputation beyond reputepenzias has a reputation beyond reputepenzias has a reputation beyond reputepenzias has a reputation beyond reputepenzias has a reputation beyond reputepenzias has a reputation beyond reputepenzias has a reputation beyond reputepenzias has a reputation beyond reputepenzias has a reputation beyond repute

91-93 looks really promising with Dimitrov, Tomic, Bhambri, Boluda, maybe Harrison...
penzias is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #40
country flag DartMarcus

DartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

I am breaking ATP top 1000 in 2015. Mark my words.
2015 = The year of M.

Brian Baker - Steve Johnson - Lleyton Hewitt - Robby Ginepri - Carlos Berlocq - Tommy Haas - Ivo Karlovic - Richard Gasquet - Kevin Anderson - David Ferrer - Michael Russell - Fabio Fognini - Michael Llodra - Oliver Rochus - Dustin Brown - Somdev Devvarman
DartMarcus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #41
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd read this somewhere...you made Neil Harman's 'The Net Post' for this week: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...fset=12&page=2
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #42
country flag Renaud

Renaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Burro View Post
Thought I'd read this somewhere...you made Neil Harman's 'The Net Post' for this week: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...fset=12&page=2
I wonder why he did not copy something from the Magic JR thread, it was much more interesting.

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
"Je peux simplement vous dire que Jean-René Lisnard aime beaucoup les Chocapics" Benjamin Balleret
Renaud is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #43
country flag Norrage

Norrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty interesting actually, cause the top 10 I think is one of the youngest ever? The last years we had really young players getting very high up the rankings, Nadal, Gasquet, Del Potro, Murray, Djokovic...And now they have settled this rush seems to have stopped....What's the reason? I dont believe in the reasons given in this topic, sinds not that much has changed since the aforementioned player have surged up the rankings...Was this a unique group of youngsters? Or indeed a lack of competition back then?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #44
country flag CooCooCachoo
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

Harrison already holds a win over Cuevas in Houston last year, and just defeated Taylor Dent in Sarasota.

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Granollers
Grigelis|Huta Galung|Ilhan|Korolev|Kudla|Al. Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino
Menendez|Naso|Paire|Peliwo|Polansky|Robert|Smyczek |J. Sousa|Sweeting

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #45
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond reputeNavratil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Age and Ranking Discussion Thread - Why is the top 100 getting older?

It's obviously part of the demographi change: People are getting older and they stay young, fit and healthy much longer than they did 20 years ago. Another reason is probably that people know much more about health, nutrition and fitness than in the past.

Well Nadal, Murray, Djokovic & Del Potro are in their early twenties but did you notice how many players are in their early thirties?

I just had a look at the German Top 10 (all Top 100-players):
1. Haas (31)
2. Kohlschreiber (25)
3. Kiefer (32)
4. Becker (28)
5. Zverev (21)
6. Petzschner (25)
7. Beck (23)
8. Phau (29)
9. Schüttler (33)
10. Greul (28)

That makes an average of 28 years!

Wasn't there a time not long ago when players used to retire in their mid-twenties?

It's even more remarkable looking at the doubles-rankings. There is only one player under 30 in the top ten!
The rest could play senior tour!

1. Bryan (31)
1. Bryan (31)
3. Nestor (36)
4. Zimonjic (33)
5. Dlouhy (26)
6. Paes (36)
7. Knowles (37)
8. Bhupathis (35)
9. Moodie (30)
10. Ullyett (37)

Makes an average of 33 years in the top ten!

What will the rankings be like 2030? Will the average age be 33 in the singles top ten?
Martina Navratilova played until she was almost 50. Will Federer break that record?

By the way: There is a german actor - Johaness Heesters - who is 106 years old and still acting! He even played in a huge cinema movie this year: "1 1/2 Ritter – Auf der Suche nach der hinreißenden Herzelinde".
Will we have tennis pros in that age one day in the future?
Who will be the first male Navratilova? What do you think?
Is it good for any kind of sport to have all the old stars around as long as they are competitive?

Navratil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote