Where are the teenagers ? (Top 100 getting older and older) - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are players peaking at older ages in tennis now than in the past?

Yes 72 71.29%
No 22 21.78%
Don't know / don't care 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #16
country flag pica_pica

pica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond reputepica_pica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are teenagers ?

Wow. Nice piece of research
Players now pay more attention to their physical endurance and avoid injuries.

Believe in yourself, Novak.
That's all I ask of you.

2011 & 2014 Wimbledon. 2011 US Open.
2008, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Australian Open.
Laureus World Sportsman of the Year 2011
pica_pica is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #17
country flag Bazooka

Bazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting info, I suspected this was happening but seeing the numbers shows it all. And not only that, if you go to the Juniors, who are the "big talents" that we are expecting to storm the tour as teens in the next years? like Nadal did in 2005, Becker in the 85-86, Hewitt 98-00, Sampras 90.

This may be an important factor in Nadal's future, if no new talents are coming in clay, he may easily pocket many more RGs as I don't see any of the current players getting close to him in clay. I always expected him getting around 6 RGs, but honestly he's just 22, and with no opossition until 26 he would win 9 easily.
Quote:
The inhabitants of the Balearic Islands are said to have been the inventors of slings, and to have managed them with surprising dexterity, owing to the manner of bringing up their children. The children were not allowed to have their food by their mothers till they had first struck it with their sling.
~Vegetius, De Re Militari, late 4th century
Nadal: the last Balearic Slinger, the ultimate product of natural selection. Feel the weight of the centuries in the Topspin from Hell!
Bazooka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #18
country flag its.like.that
Banned!

its.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond repute

Drugs helping players (like Agassi) stay in the game longer.
its.like.that is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
country flag Bazooka

Bazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by its.like.that View Post
Drugs helping players (like Agassi) stay in the game longer.

You taking them all before posting won't solve the problem, you know. More will be produced.
Quote:
The inhabitants of the Balearic Islands are said to have been the inventors of slings, and to have managed them with surprising dexterity, owing to the manner of bringing up their children. The children were not allowed to have their food by their mothers till they had first struck it with their sling.
Nadal: the last Balearic Slinger, the ultimate product of natural selection. Feel the weight of the centuries in the Topspin from Hell!
Old 05-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #20
country flag Renaud

Renaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond repute

The fact is players don't play longer, Santoro being the exception.
It's the lack of young players that makes the average age so high.

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
"Je peux simplement vous dire que Jean-René Lisnard aime beaucoup les Chocapics" Benjamin Balleret
Renaud is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #21
country flag Bazooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
The fact is players don't play longer, Santoro being the exception.
It's the lack of young players that makes the average age so high.
Indeed, there's nothing special at Moya retiring at 32, standard thing.

I can understand early retirement from guys like Federer or Nadal once they don't think they have chances at slams, but for the rest, going over 30 sounds like a good decision if they're earning their money. In the case of Moya, I guess his appearance fee when he was 27-31 would surprise more than one here.
Quote:
Old 05-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #22
country flag amirbachar

amirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond reputeamirbachar has a reputation beyond repute

I think the main reason is the transition period between the old and the new ranking systems - the older points are worth more than the new points.
amirbachar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #23
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Mug era. Older players can keep playing until they're over 30 because competition is a freaking joke.

Moya is the perfect example.

Yup, Moya is the perfect example. That such a weak player could become number 1 tells you all you need know about the late 90s. Alternatively, in the early 90s a 39 year old made the US Open semis.

Anyway, looking at the graph it seems to be something that's happening for 20 years now. Most players now peak after 25, with the exception of the very best.
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #24
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelq View Post
Definitely, this.Kids just can't keep up in the long baseline rallies against physically much stronger opponents.Talent alone is just not enough anymore.
I don't think someone of 19 is a child, you are pretty close to being fully developed when you are 19.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #25
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

The 89-90 generation has not created future champions, the 91-92 will be better (Tomic, Dmitrov, Krajinovic).

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #26
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
Yup, Moya is the perfect example. That such a weak player could become number 1 tells you all you need know about the late 90s. Alternatively, in the early 90s a 39 year old made the US Open semis.

Anyway, looking at the graph it seems to be something that's happening for 20 years now. Most players now peak after 25, with the exception of the very best.
There is just a tad difference between Moya 2009 and Moya over 10 years ago.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #27
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post

Yup what? I meant something diametrically different.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #28
country flag TennisViewer531
Banned!

TennisViewer531 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisViewer531 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisViewer531 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisViewer531 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisViewer531 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisViewer531 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisViewer531 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisViewer531 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisViewer531 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisViewer531 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisViewer531 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping Grigor Dimitrov will make it in the top 100 as a teenager... possible?
TennisViewer531 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #29
country flag Audacity

Audacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTheKnife View Post
I can't speak for the rest of the world, but have some thoughts on the US. In this country you can sign one 5 contract in baseball, football, or basketball and make what Federer has in his entire career. If you were a parent, where would you push your kids. Unfortunately tennis is rapidly becoming a distant choice for young athletes in this country, and only recently have we began to try to do something about it. It remains to be seen if we can turn this thing around.
I noticed last week after Rome, I didn't even hear it mentioned on ESPN or any other news outlet who won the damn tournament. They were all to busy rehashing NBA playoff games.
Your spot on mate.
Audacity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #30
country flag Radalek

Radalek has a reputation beyond reputeRadalek has a reputation beyond reputeRadalek has a reputation beyond reputeRadalek has a reputation beyond reputeRadalek has a reputation beyond reputeRadalek has a reputation beyond reputeRadalek has a reputation beyond reputeRadalek has a reputation beyond reputeRadalek has a reputation beyond reputeRadalek has a reputation beyond reputeRadalek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisViewer531 View Post
I'm hoping Grigor Dimitrov will make it in the top 100 as a teenager... possible?
He has a whole year time to make it I guess?Tomic and Krajinovic should get there as teenagers by any means, but they are much younger than Dimitrov so it's early to tell.Can't see any other notable youngsters atm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooza2011 View Post
Who is going to break him? Chardy?
Chardy breaks Murray three times in a row right after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
My tennis expertise is in the top 5%
Radalek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote