Your Favourite Shot? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #46
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Favourite Shot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
No no, I meant backhand slices and topspin forehands, a la Petzschner. Should've been more specific.

But the forehand slice sure has its usefulness. Sometimes I throw a chip and charge with a forehand slice to put the opponent off guard.
Oh, I see what you mean now.

I know you hit pretty hard and flat on the forehand, mix that with the slice and topspin variation on your backhand means you're giving your opponent a different ball each time.

On top of that, you'll often come in off a forehand slice...you're a nightmare to play by the sounds of it!
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #47
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
Oh, I see what you mean now.

I know you hit pretty hard and flat on the forehand, mix that with the slice and topspin variation on your backhand means you're giving your opponent a different ball each time.

On top of that, you'll often come in off a forehand slice...you're a nightmare to play by the sounds of it!
Well, that would be exact if I didn't choke in most of my chips, overhit most of my forehands and hit the topspin backhands at the wrong time.

I'm learning to play more intelligently on the forehand side, though.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #48
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
No no, I meant backhand slices and topspin forehands, a la Petzschner. Should've been more specific.

But the forehand slice sure has its usefulness. Sometimes I throw a chip and charge with a forehand slice to put the opponent off guard.
I´ve been playing that kind of game for some years now. Not by choice, it´s just that my topspin backhand is useless when playing a competitive match, I lose all rhythm and timing. But it´s still a good tactic to mix the opponents game up. It works especially well against some juniors who almost never play against someone who uses a lot of slice. Slice backhand is also great for approaching the net and disguising drop shots. Like Pato Alvarez said, there´s nothing you can´t do with slice. Granted, passing shots might be a little challenging, as well as an attacking lob, but what the hell...You can´t have it all, can you.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #49
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
I´ve been playing that kind of game for some years now. Not by choice, it´s just that my topspin backhand is useless when playing a competitive match, I lose all rhythm and timing. But it´s still a good tactic to mix the opponents game up. It works especially well against some juniors who almost never play against someone who uses a lot of slice. Slice backhand is also great for approaching the net and disguising drop shots. Like Pato Alvarez said, there´s nothing you can´t do with slice. Granted, passing shots might be a little challenging, as well as an attacking lob, but what the hell...You can´t have it all, can you.
Love to mix angles and length with the slice, and then a topspin backhand once in a while, to kill the rhythm or for a passing shot. While keeping the forehand as an offensive weapon.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #50
country flag Princeoftennis

Princeoftennis is on a distinguished road

Without a doubt, my favorite shot is the inside-out forehand... Especially a power one.
Princeoftennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #51
country flag Benzilla7

Benzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond reputeBenzilla7 has a reputation beyond repute

Power backhand or angled volley.

• Djokovic
  • Tsonga
  • Nalbandian
  • Safin
  • Haas
  • Hewwit
Benzilla7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #52
country flag Chiakifug

Chiakifug has a reputation beyond reputeChiakifug has a reputation beyond reputeChiakifug has a reputation beyond reputeChiakifug has a reputation beyond reputeChiakifug has a reputation beyond reputeChiakifug has a reputation beyond reputeChiakifug has a reputation beyond reputeChiakifug has a reputation beyond reputeChiakifug has a reputation beyond reputeChiakifug has a reputation beyond reputeChiakifug has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the lob. I can always pull off perfect ones, and it leaves me smiling after one.
Chiakifug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:17 AM   #53
country flag ghostkid12

ghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond reputeghostkid12 has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Angle Queen;7350862]An angled off volley...for a winner. ;-) same here, especially when they dont have a chance of getting it!
Old 04-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #54

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Backhand passing shot is lethal at the moment, down the line and crosscourt. Got pretty good feel for the lob on that wing too.

Just a shame my running forehand is useless by comparison
Old 04-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #55
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
Backhand passing shot is lethal at the moment, down the line and crosscourt. Got pretty good feel for the lob on that wing too.

Just a shame my running forehand is useless by comparison
thats how i am at the moment, my forehand sucks but i am on fire with the one hand backhand pass for about a week now...love bringing the other player in to the net and letting go a huge BH down the line or crosscourt.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
thats how i am at the moment, my forehand sucks but i am on fire with the one hand backhand pass for about a week now...love bringing the other player in to the net and letting go a huge BH down the line or crosscourt.
Yeah, the pros make it look so easy to hit that whipping running forehand pass.

When I try it I'm thinking Federer...Sampras...whip it down the line with plenty of curve to bring it in at the last minute right into the corner......then.....my moment of glory comes.....shank!!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #57
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Running forehand crosscourt pass

My forehand is a very ugly shot though, I suppose my backhand down the line is my best looking shot.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #58
country flag SaFed2005

SaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a killer backhand down the line.

My have a really easy time playing against pushers, serve & volleyers (although they are rare) and hard hitter. I have some serious problems against players who hit with heavy deep topspin shots and are consistent off both wings. My forehand seems to break down versus them.
SaFed2005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #59
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Probably my forehand in general. I can do anything I want with it. Short angled shots, heavy deep balls, crosscourt, down the line, running pass, its a really crazy shot.

If only my backhand measured up
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #60
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

I know I responded earlier with a "angled volley" as my favorite "shot."

But in my last two (doubles) matches, I've pulled off my favorite "constructed" point.

Serving from the deuce side. Get a medium pace return to my alley that I then lob over the net player in their ad side to force the receiver to cover. Weak lob return.

BOOM. Overhead winner from me angled behind the net person (now on the deuce side and still wondering what's happening).

Mayhap a bit cheesy with the lob thing...but effective as hell (at the Club level ).