For the Ladies - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default For the Ladies

Are there any women out there who actually use spin on a regular basis? Almost every woman I have played with/against/watched mainly hits a flat ball and hardly ever comes to net. Also, I have never seen an amature woman with really loopy/wristy groundies.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For the Ladies

i hit my standard forehand with a shitload of spin. bh not so much cuz it's a 1-hander and I haven't mastered the 1-hand topspin, works about 30% of the time, used to have a 2hander mega topspin then switched to a 1-hand slice for some reason, I think my dad made me, now trying to add spin to the bh but can't quite pull it all together.
Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, depends on your point of view. I'm sure most serious female players would say they hit with lots of spin if you ask them, but guys would laugh at the notion of that being classed as spin.

It takes an immense amount of physical strength as well as technique to hit with heavy topspin so it is of course much more difficult for women to achieve this. That's no excuse for not having a good slice and a net game though, but I personally haven't met any that have that kind of variety in their game.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

Not a lot of (top)spin here. But probably because I'm OLD and old school. Yep. Learned with a wood racket and haven't really been interested in dramatically changing grips or technique to add a bunch of spin. I have learned to add enough for insurance and my slice is...well...quite nice, thank you.

So is my net game. Even in singles. Just check my UserName to find what my teammates dubbed me several years ago. Gotta admit I like it and think it's appropriate. I love coming to net; the point's over quickly win or lose...and I seem to win a whole lot more than I lose.

Just curious: why do you ask?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #5

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
Hmm, depends on your point of view. I'm sure most serious female players would say they hit with lots of spin if you ask them, but guys would laugh at the notion of that being classed as spin.

It takes an immense amount of physical strength as well as technique to hit with heavy topspin so it is of course much more difficult for women to achieve this. That's no excuse for not having a good slice and a net game though, but I personally haven't met any that have that kind of variety in their game.
A lack of strength is no excuse. I can only bench 125 lbs and I hit with just as much if not more spin than anyone esle. As far as a decent net game goes......... I recently saw my colleges women team play and that seems to be the only aspect that is almost the same as the mens.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #6

Also, not to sound sexist or anything, but why do pro women believe they deserve equal prize money? In masters and slams men play best of 5, women best of 3. Common sense says men should get 5/8 of the money and women should get 3/8. Right???????
Old 04-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
country flag NinaNina19

NinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond repute

No, I hit pretty flat, only with some spin. The only time I ever really try to put spin on the ball is when I'm doing short angles. I have a pretty sick short angle cross court backhand when it's on.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve View Post
Also, not to sound sexist or anything, but why do pro women believe they deserve equal prize money? In masters and slams men play best of 5, women best of 3. Common sense says men should get 5/8 of the money and women should get 3/8. Right???????
See here for the long debate on it:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=12446

My comments at Post 225, from 4 years ago, still stand.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle Queen View Post
See here for the long debate on it:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=12446

My comments at Post 225, from 4 years ago, still stand.
Didn't think you would be the kind of person to agree. But the WTA does alot less for tennis than the ATP does.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #10

Ok are there any women out there with really unorthodox strokes? Any who hit off the back foot?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post

Men tell me I hit with a lot of spin. They tell me I hit "too hard." Dudes come up to me in the park and asked me where I learned to hit so hard. And I'm not really that strong, relatively, it's just the way I was taught.

But if you don't want to take my word for it, I'm not sure why you asked. You should have addressed this question to men and said, "Do any of you know any women who hit with a lot of spin?"
Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #12
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

I've found that most women players hit very flat strokes. And the ones that hit with "spin" would be classified as flat strokes in the men's game.

But hey, to each their own I've played girls that took my heavy topspin balls and crushed them for winners while I've also played women that don't have the slightest clue how to return a topsping shot.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
country flag NinaNina19

NinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve View Post
Ok are there any women out there with really unorthodox strokes? Any who hit off the back foot?
I hit off the backfoot a lot on my forehand. I need to stop arming it.