Self-Umpired Match -- Close OUT Calls...and Playing Them - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Self-Umpired Match -- Close OUT Calls...and Playing Them

In my first serious match of the year, my partner and I encountered a tough pair. We matched up rather evenly (skill-wise) and they seemed to hit lots of balls at the lines. Normally in a match, there are just a few balls that are "close" and, on the whole, I'd say I'm usually quite generous in giving the benefit-of-the-doubt. 99% out is still IN.

But today, there were two points/shots that were very close and I was already lined up to make my return. Because we were down in the match, I was concentrating intensely and went ahead and swung through but called the ball out asap (even while I was in motion).

I think The Code generally says you're to stop play when you recognize the ball "out" and that's what I generally do. But I just couldn't seem to stop myself...either from swinging through or making the call. In both cases, I'm certain the ball was out; our opponents really didn't even argue. But I'm wondering what the correct protocol should have been.

Any thoughts?

ps...and BTW...we were down 3-8...and came back to win 10-8.
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self-Umpired Match -- Close OUT Calls...and Playing Them

No idea of the exact rule but I often swing at the ball whilst calling it out, your priority is to the shot and not the call so this is perfectly natural. I've never heard anyone say anything to the contrary so I think it's ok by the rules??

Well done on the great comeback by the way! Using your slice and net skills to good effect I see (yes, I read the other thread and I meant ladies I play with are rather useless in those areas! You of course are an expert ).
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self-Umpired Match -- Close OUT Calls...and Playing Them

No expert here. Not by a loooooong shot.

And thanks for a bit of confirmation on my situation. Usually I'm such an easy-going player but I was intense and extremely focused that day. To the point of watching the ball all the way to the contact point. Guess I should do that more often. Since I've been pregnant (or recovering) for several of the past seasons, I guess I haven't really taken my game so serious. But now that excuse is gone and I better get on with it.

Thanks again.