The chat-thread for lovers of other sports - Everyone welcome - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #16
country flag ellen_

ellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The chat-thread for lovers of other sports - Everyone welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eimear O'Mahony View Post
I don't really have any favourite sports to watch besides football and tennis and the occassional swim meet (the Euros and stuff) and I catch the Olympics and Commonwealth games when they were on. I used to be OBSSESSED with athletics but all the drugs and everything ruined it for me and it turned me off BIG time and now I don't watch it so much. With regards to sports I play, I like swimming and used to play badminton and a little tennis. I'm going to go and see if I can find some videos now. I'll give you two guesses what most of them will contain!!!
Oh it's cool to mention the sports you play yourself. I'm a badminton player too! I started swimming competition at 6 years old, but quit unfortunately at 11 years old Still regret that I did tennis, volleyball, dance and judo and quit them all too Di, I'm really a bit of an Ernie, eh

Wow, you've been at the pitch of Old Traffor
"Sometimes you are embarrassed by how you are playing. Sometimes you want to be there, sometimes you want to go home. Sometimes you are fighting hard and sometimes you are fighting yourself." - Ernests Gulbis

To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle - Buddha

Last edited by ellen_ : 03-12-2009 at 08:05 PM.
ellen_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #17
country flag Eimear O'Mahony

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I was. It was the best experience of my life. I have some pictures somewhere but they need to be scanned so I'll dig them out and scan them over the weekend and post them

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Also liking ... LOPEZ, VERDASCOand NADAL

The Adidas Boys - Impossible is Nothing
Eimear O'Mahony is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #18
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

I've been sportssince I was 8 years old. My 1st sporting love was actually darts My parents bought me a darts set whilst on holiday in Blackpool. There were soon loads of little holes in the hotel walls I even wanted to be a pro

Aged 10 I had my first tennis racket,bought by my parents from a craft fair of all things. I discovered I had decent hand/eye co-ordination for ball sports so I fell in love with the game,at 12 I was playing for my school team and also a Club,and got to the verge of playing for my County,and then I found school and Further Education taking up too much time, so I just played for my Club at weekends. I used to play table tennis for my school and County.

I cant play sport right now due to a serious back injury,but I have recently taken up swimming and yoga to try to help my back. I haven't given up hope of being back on court yet. When I have time I like to encourage kids to take up sports,and go along to after school clubs to do this. I'll be doing more of this in the summer,helping to run a Holiday Sports Club.

The sports I watch,people I admire coming up next post. I am so passionate about sport that I am considering writing about it a little more seriously.

Cheering forNole Gilles Tomas Dima Grisha Delpo Stan Fed Nando GGL Domi
Thanks for the memories Juan Carlos!

Anci Petra Maria Sharapova Sabine Thanks for the memories Kim
Norwich City Football Club

Last edited by patchett : 03-12-2009 at 09:17 PM.
but-it's-ok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #19

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Di you are REALLY into your sports!!! It sounds like you have a real passion. You should consider Sports Journalism ... I'm trying to think of a sportsperson I really admire. i'll take a little while to think because I don't want it to be the obvious one (a Man U player) so I'll think on for a little bit and post when I have some ideas

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #20

Okay ... so my most admired sportspeople ... I don't know if this is a cliché or not but I really REALLY admire all the Paralympians and all people with disabilities who compete at the highest level. I have a severe hearing disability myself and while I know it's not the same as a physical disability I do know what it's like to have something that sets you apart from other people. Things like this can make you shy away and hide from the world and get all introverted (I've been there myself) and yet you've got these athletes who totally push their disabilities to one side and train with equal if not more dedication than able-bodied athletes and yet only receive half the credit they deserve. I truly think they're amazing and an inspiration to all that you can achieve anything no matter what! and for the paralympians

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #21
country flag but-it's-ok

but-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond reputebut-it's-ok has a reputation beyond repute

My younger brother Lewis(the Tottenham fan) wants to go into sports journalism so I'm helping with that when I have time I'll just encourage him,I have enough on with Law studies

The first football team I ever watched from the stands was actually Nottingham Forest. I went to my 1st game when I was 15. I took an interest in Norwich City after they won the League Cup in 1985. I went to a Norwich away game in 1986 at Sheffield United,which we won 5-2 I never actually went to any of their home games until the 90s. Why Norwich? The only team that played in yellow and green,and it was said they played like Brazil I fell in love with the city of Norwich on holiday there, and have been going to games ever since.

I have been to many Open Days which have been great for looking around inside the ground,meeting the players. I only have a couple of photos with players though. I have met Delia Smith our Major Shareholder many times. She's so nice,just a fan with a lot of money. She is passionate about the people who support the Canaries as much as the club itself. I have met players many times in the city,on trains,at the training ground,inside the Club Shop etc.

I have many experiences like these to share

I have also been to Valencia CF ground to look around whilst on holiday. I have pics of that too, and followed them ever since,and admire David Villa so much as you have gathered already. I have also visited Bayern Munich ground when they played in Olympic Stadium and Paris St Germain(Parc des Princes).

I have many people I admire in football,and have met a lot of footballers over the years.

I also admire Roberto Martinez,the manager of Swansea City and his team. The way he has taken to management at such a young age is remarkable. And Fernando Torres,he's a special footballer,and he's hot

I have so many photos but many of them are stacked up in old photo albums and need scanning. I will post some,I just cant tell you when You Tube videos documenting what I have seen will also follow at some stage

Another post will describe some of the other sports I follow,specifically who I follow and why.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #22
country flag rtgy

rtgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond reputertgy has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The chat-thread for lovers of other sports - Everyone welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchett View Post
I'd like to open a sports chat-thread here

First of all I'd just like to say a huge thank you to the non-football lovers for putting up with the interruptions in the normal chat-thread I just didn't want you guys to get bored with the football talk especially

But now I think its time to open a dedicated sports chat-thread for lovers of other sports,whatever other sport gets your pulse racing, come and talk about it here

I opted for F1...........and Melbourne is coming
I'm a HUGE Kimifan
rtgy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #23
country flag but-it's-ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eimear O'Mahony View Post
Okay ... so my most admired sportspeople ... I don't know if this is a cliché or not but I really REALLY admire all the Paralympians and all people with disabilities who compete at the highest level. I have a severe hearing disability myself and while I know it's not the same as a physical disability I do know what it's like to have something that sets you apart from other people. Things like this can make you shy away and hide from the world and get all introverted (I've been there myself) and yet you've got these athletes who totally push their disabilities to one side and train with equal if not more dedication than able-bodied athletes and yet only receive half the credit they deserve. I truly think they're amazing and an inspiration to all that you can achieve anything no matter what! and for the paralympians
for you Eimear and the Paralympians.

I suffer from learning disabilities Eimear,I am so on your level and share all of your sentiments and feelings you've expressed here

Old 03-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #24

Oh I quite like F1. I got really into it last season when Lewis Hamilton was going for the championship because I'm into it a little and here was this young Brit who took the world by storm. Go Lewis!!!

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #25

Wow Di you should be really proud having learning disabilities and going to college! Believe me I know it is NOT easy getting an education with anything like that so I'm proud of you

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #26

Actually ... while we're on the subject of people I admire ... I wasn't going to post this because I didn't want to think I was obssessed with Man U but I think this deserves a mention. Sir Matt Busby has to be admired for what he did for Manchester United in the wake of the Munich Air disaster. Manchester United lost 8 players (half the team) in the Munich Air Crash and Sir Matt Busby himself nearly died. Yet, he rebuilt the club up from nothing (they played the game following the crash with a blank team sheet on the programme because he had no players) to a club that, a mere 10 years later, won the European Cup. That's got to be worth a mention. And for those of you who aren't familiar with the Munich Air Disaster this is worth a read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_air_disaster

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #27
country flag but-it's-ok

Thanks Eimear You're doing great yourself

Crikey,where have I got to with this??

Yavor F1 fan. I went through a stage when I wasabout it. I knew a guy who went to EVERY RACE,but he moved away so I'm not as into it as I was. I try to keep track

I got into Moto GP in 2004 after I saw a little Spanish rider on TV racing around Donington Park in the 250cc class. His name..Dani Pedrosa. He's so small, just over 5 feet tall,but the way he handles that motorbike. He's so tough I was hooked because he's so much smaller than the rest. He rides so well,he has to work so much harder physically than the rest of the riders. I've been to a few Moto GP races and I'm hooked completely.

I will watch most sports and I love most big sporting events. I have a couple of favourite golfers Adam Scott of Australia, and Sergio Garcia of Spain.

I love snooker too,I have been to the Crucible in Sheffield to watch the World Championships. My all time favourite snooker player is Jimmy White He and Alex Higgins had some epic matches. My favourite current snooker players are Neil Robertson of Australia, Jamie Cope,Barry Pinches,Mark Selby all of England. Joe Swail He has a hearing problem too. He's gorgeous and funny and he's Irish

Cricket...I love cricket,I toured Australia's cricket grounds 8 years ago I watch Test Matches,1 day matches, County Cricket on TV and go to matches in the summer.

I'm learning about cyclocross. I just adore sport

Yeah the way Sir Matt Busby rebuilt Man U after the Munich disaster is worthy of a mention I completely understand why thats so poignant and heroic for you Eimear

Old 03-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #28
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Di

My earliest sporting memory is playing with the little boys at the "Distillery End" of Telford St Park while Inverness Caledonian FC were playing a Highland League match somewhere behind us But I am reliably informed by my mum that my dad left me asleep in my pram outside a pub after a match and went home at closing time without me so I was going to matches from a very early age In those days everyone had a "big" team but Caley were my big team and after they merged with Inverness Thistle I followed them up the leagues to the dizzy heights of the SPL
I'll pretty much watch any sport but tennis takes priority, followed by football then rugby and snooker and I love Olympics - Commonwealth Games time!
I admire a lot of sportspeople but imo the toughest sport must be single handed sailing, especially the long races and folk like Ellen MacArthur really have my respect!

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #29

That's what I love about you guys. You really do follow your local teams or at least a team near to you and you follow them passionately. We never had that luxury in Ireland because our Irish league is pretty damn bad and because of the way tv coverage went back in the old days you either supported Liverpool, Man U or Celtic ... they were pretty much the only teams. Nowadays it's a lot better with Sky so there's more variety in the clubs that are supported but most Irish fans would be huge Liverpool/United fans because of the way Irish tv coverage went. The Munich air disaster is incredibly poignant for me, not least because it's my Dad's first memory of supporting United (his father supported them before it). I cried the first time I read about it and seeing the new Munich Memorial Tunnel in the south stand at Old Trafford when I went to the Fulham game made me really emotional too. I'll never understand how Leeds fans can sing songs about Munich. People died and it's just SICK!!!

Simon Monfils Gasquet

Old 03-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #30
country flag but-it's-ok

Les thats a funny but lovely story What year did Inverness Caledonian FC merge with Inverness Thistle? Wow,they really did do brilliantly then

Eimear,actually it really is shameful that I don't support my local team Chesterfield,but then no-one else in my family does

I have been to some of their games of course,they are most famous for their 1997 Cup Run when they reached the semi-finals

To reach the 1997 FA Cup semi finals the Spireites defeated Bristol City, Bolton Wanderers, Nottingham Forest and Wrexham. In the last four they were paired with Middlesbrough and their clash at Old Trafford would go down as one of the competitions greatest and most dramatic games.

Goals from Andy Morris and a Sean Dyche penalty put Chesterfield 2-0 in front and when Middlesbrough had a man sent off it looked as though there would be a third division side in the final for the first time ever. Boro pulled a goal back before the games' crucial moment arrived.

Jonathan Howard, with the goal gaping, sent a shot against the underside of the bar. The ball bounced down well behind the goalline before being cleared. Somehow neither referee or linesman felt able to award the goal and Boro were reprieved.

The game eventually went to extra time and Boro took a 3-2 lead only for Jamie Hewitt to equalise in the last minute to take the game to a replay. Unfortunately Chesterfield's challenge was spent and they went down to a 3-0 defeat.

Eimear I don't understand the mentality of people who sing songs about teams who have been affected by a great tragedy. Its sickening and despicable.