Is your index finger slight apart from middle on both forehand and backhand grips? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
country flag startover

startover has a reputation beyond reputestartover has a reputation beyond reputestartover has a reputation beyond reputestartover has a reputation beyond reputestartover has a reputation beyond reputestartover has a reputation beyond reputestartover has a reputation beyond reputestartover has a reputation beyond reputestartover has a reputation beyond reputestartover has a reputation beyond reputestartover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is your index finger slight apart from middle on both forehand and backhand grips?

I've always played tennis with all four fingers closed (almost) together. I use a semi western FH and eastern single handed BH. I just realized recently upon watching some slow motion pro videos that lots of them have their index finger slight apart from the middle finger. I went on the court and tried to hit some balls like that and of course, it kind of felt weird when you had the old grip since forever, but at the same time it *seemed" to me that on the backhand side this slight distance of index finger *somewhat* helped stablize the racquet a bit through contact. I'm just curious how you people handle your index finger on your grips and if it makes sense to try to modify my grip over this detail.
startover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is your index finger slight apart from middle on both forehand and backhand grips

I can hit both ways... started hitting with the index finger more separated, now I don't. I find it's easier to put spin if you keep them all closed on the forehand, especially. On the backhand I think it's always separated for me and when slicing/volleying/serving it's way separated.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is your index finger slight apart from middle on both forehand and backhand grips

Slightly apart.

Just feels like you have more control and feel of the racquet.