Problem with Backhand (beginner) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
country flag juninhOH

juninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Problem with Backhand (beginner)

Hi,

I just started taking tennis lessons, I'm a huge follower of the ATP season, so when I started (just had my 5th class) I already tried to pay attention to the movement of professional players and etc.

So I'm having a problem with my backhand. I feel that whenever a get a little bit tired, my arm can't do the movement well. It seems like instead of full of square-holes (the string), my raquet is completely solid and finding resistance against the air. So when I'm going to hit the ball I hit it almost like if I'm slicing it from the BOTTOM, then it goes UP, and UP, and UP....

the coach said it was common because I'm just starting and my muscle is probably not 'adapted' yet to playing tennis. Is he correct or am I definitely doing something wrong and should check out the problem?

[edit] I'm trying single handed backhand, is it maybe lack of strenght and I should try 2 handed backhand? or should I wait a little longer before changing it?

on a side note, I'm also finding myself moving a lot to the wrong place to hit the ball, Like too close of it (like with my body really close of it) or putting my arm very close to it, putting my in akward positions to hit the ball..

So is there a time for me to 'wait' and check where the ball is going? Or am I going to get that with time, like from when the guy hits the ball I'm going to know where it will bounce and position myself at the right place?
juninhOH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem with Backhand (beginner)

It's not lack of strength. It's lack of technique. I've been there, and that's normal. You're using strength to hit the ball because you don't have good technique yet. When you do, you'll stop having to put effort into it, it'll be natural. If you're 22 you shouldn't lack strenght for a single-handed. That's a problem for children.

About moving to the wrong place... okay, to start: you shouldn't guess where the ball is going before it actually leaves the racket of the other player, unless you're at a higher level, when you're not actually guessing, but anticipating the next move (as in closing the net).
Second, you're hitting the ball too close or too far because you're not moving well, another problem that happens with all beginners. You'll have to try to move faster, with many small steps, to position yourself to hit the ball at a proper distance. You'll get used to the bounces too. All this needs practice, words aren't as helpful. Try to focus a lot on the ball and on your movements when hitting it. Do the backswing early and you'll be able to hit the ball doesn't matter where it bounces. With time you'll end up gettin' the different bounces (slices, topspin, flat).
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
country flag juninhOH

juninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond repute

hey, thanks a lot Hughes, you were very helpful.

I liked this subforum very much ahha i'm reading everything.
juninhOH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juninhOH View Post
hey, thanks a lot Hughes, you were very helpful.

I liked this subforum very much ahha i'm reading everything.
No problem, and you can call me Gustavo.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
country flag MathIsDelicious

MathIsDelicious is on a distinguished road

As far as positioning yourself, get ready for the shot first. Its a process of

A. Striking a pose. Meaning bringing your racket back and getting ready

B. Getting to the spot. Once you have your arm up, you can gauge how much distance there should between you and the ball. and remember to position yourself behind the
ball.

C. Making your stroke.

You also want to keep your eye on the ball instead of guessing. If you can't see it, you typically can't hit it. Hopefully this helps you!
MathIsDelicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:00 AM   #6
country flag Topspin Sports

Topspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Problem with Backhand (beginner)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juninhOH View Post
I'm trying single handed backhand, is it maybe lack of strenght and I should try 2 handed backhand? or should I wait a little longer before changing it?
First Id like to welcome you to the game of tennis! Then id like to tell you your coach is pretty much right but might have explained it the wrong way.

On the tour, players are hitting every ball the same way...every time. They know exactly where and when to make contact with the ball. They reach this point by practicing over and over. They at one point where in your shoes! After lots of practice your body begins to do the "right things" more consistently.

Dont get discouraged with your one handed backhand. Your wrist control is very weak if you just began playing tennis (naturally as any players would be). My suggestion is to make sure you are hitting with proper form (technique) every time you ball. With time you will have great shots, and still have your one-handed backhand!

GOOD LUCK

Owner
Free Online Tennis Lessons
TopspinSports.com offers FREE Lessons, Videos, and Tips provided by world famous and local pros.

Ultimate Tennis Forum
Topspin Sports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:06 AM   #7
country flag groundstroke

groundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond repute

If you start playing single backhand now your muscles will adapt quicker.
groundstroke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
country flag klinsi

klinsi is on a distinguished road

Here's a good tip on how to hit a backhand:
http://www.tennisracketbracket.com/t...ckhand_Tip.php
klinsi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote