Locked Hahaha threads. - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #61
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Locked Hahaha threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
We don't get a lot of complaints. We get some complaints, which is entirely understandable, but the fact is the vast majority of the users seem quite content to operate within the confines of the system that we have in place and rarely get involved in these minidramas. Most of my time moderating, and explaining what we're trying to do when we moderate, is spent on two handfuls of noisy malcontents - one which wants to break the rules that are in place, and the other that just complains about them.
That can be due to inaction. No need to think they are happy with the system. I can show you 50 posts from the Fed forum and elsewhere where a lot of discontent was expressed. Still feel free to be satisfied. This role suits you
"Who ain't a slave? Tell me that. Well, then, however the old sea-captains may order me about—however they may thump and punch me about, I have the satisfaction of knowing that it is all right; that everybody else is one way or other served in much the same way— either in a physical or metaphysical point of view, that is; and so the universal thump is passed round, and all hands should rub each other's shoulder-blades, and be content." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #62
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennizen View Post
That can be due to inaction. No need to think they are happy with the system. I can show you 50 posts from the Fed forum and elsewhere where a lot of discontent was expressed. Still feel free to be satisfied. This role suits you
Well if people don't use the systems in place, what are we supposed to do?

If the users want to treat site moderation as something that has nothing to do with them, then that's their own choice and I'm not particularly sympathetic if they don't like what they're getting because their response is apathy and inaction. Moderation has to be a two way street, there has to be give and take, there has to be cooperation. The problem here is that people seem to complain the moderation is unfair and doesn't work and is imposed upon them while not recognising that in the real world, where the mods have lives and jobs and can't police the place 24/7, we rely on the users to help us make the moderation work as well as it can. It's no lack of effort or interest or deliberate bad judgement on our part if things happen inconsistently. But if we don't get help in this from the ones who sit grumbling and do nothing else about it, then there's no way it's going to change much.

Posters don't want to be treated like children. We get that. But if they don't take some responsibility for what they're seeing going on around them that they don't like, then de-facto they leave us to play the role of "nanny", intervening when we see things but sometimes missing out on other things when our backs are turned.

In the end, as far as you personally are concerned, anything I consider to be an improvement is hardly likely to be shared by you given your stated position as a bit of a forum anarchist.

As for me being satisfied? I'm not. Thinking things have got a little better does not equal satisfied. Still, if you want to try and paint me as being self-satisfied, if that works for you, go right ahead. I'll cope.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #63
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

I think this discussion has gone on and on and I could go on but you are the only mod who seems interested to respond. I don't know where the other mods are as no one else seems interested in any response or offers a different opinion. I already know your viewpoint and disagree with it and there's nothing more to be said on the issue that hasn't already been said.

So thanks and keep going. I hope the other mods show some visibility because right now it seems like you are the only one running the show.
"Who ain't a slave? Tell me that. Well, then, however the old sea-captains may order me about—however they may thump and punch me about, I have the satisfaction of knowing that it is all right; that everybody else is one way or other served in much the same way— either in a physical or metaphysical point of view, that is; and so the universal thump is passed round, and all hands should rub each other's shoulder-blades, and be content." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick
Old 02-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #64
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute

scoobs, I'm not sure that the "RIP 1859-2008" thread has generated any new discussion since August and seems to be full of doping allegations and player bashing. Just wondering why it remained active
l_mac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #65
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
scoobs, I'm not sure that the "RIP 1859-2008" thread has generated any new discussion since August and seems to be full of doping allegations and player bashing. Just wondering why it remained active
It's generated new discussion since August...useful...? Well...

I'm trying to keep an eye on it, if it deterioriates further then it'll be closed.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #66
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's generated new discussion since August...useful...? Well...

I'm trying to keep an eye on it, if it deterioriates further then it'll be closed.
No, is the same old crap over and over and over.

You think something new can be/has been said?
Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #67
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
No, is the same old crap over and over and over.

You think something new can be/has been said?
Perhaps not but I'd rather they kept it on the one thread if they must whine on about the death of tennis.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #68
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

Quote:
Perhaps not but I'd rather they kept it on the one thread if they must whine on about the death of tennis.
Hmm.

The reason again for closing the Haha threads? I'm getting a lot of mixed messages from the moderating team. It hurts my tiny fangirl brain.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:49 AM   #69
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

yup, where are those hahaha, grilling pig threads

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #70
country flag JolánGagó
Banned!

JolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond reputeJolánGagó has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi View Post
yup, where are those hahaha, grilling pig threads
right now, splashed all over GM

great job Mods
JolánGagó is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:06 AM   #71
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

there are many funny and creative photos in Hahaha, Roasting pigs etc, even though I am fans of Nadal, I am ok with them, in my opinion, there are lots of threads which are worst than hahaha etc i.e. those "1859-2008, Tennis rest in peace thread

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #72
country flag FairWeatherFan

FairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennizzen

Keep fighting the power man
FairWeatherFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #73
country flag tennizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairWeatherFan View Post

Keep fighting the power man
I know you are trying very hard to return my compliments to you but trust me you are way funnier and I could never ever hope to catch up to your levels of awesomeness.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:13 AM   #74
country flag pogotheorist

pogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
leaving GM alone apart from moderating gross violations would just turn the place right over to the flamebaiters, the trolls, the incessant whiners, the posters who just love to cause trouble... more clearly defining the forum rules and enforcing them more rigourously has been a good thing for GM.
In answer to why a thread was closed:
Quote:
Because I've read through it and it's the same discussion going around and around again - I didn't feel like it was generating useful discussion anymore yet it's at nearly 400 posts and counting.
Closing a thread for being "not useful", while 400 posts made showed that board members regarded it as worth participating in? Clearly defined rules sound great. If the rule is any thread a mod considers undefinably "unuseful" can vanish, despite no problems with civility - then the actual rule is simply arbitrary authority. Which, by laws of human nature, will always be resented.

My concrete constructive suggestion, made months ago, was a mods-think-this-is-garbage zone. At which point those who find your judgment sound know where not to look, and those who disagree are free to socialize among each other, in the forum safely marked with your seal of disapproval.
pogotheorist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #75
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion - there is a clause in the rules about threads that may be closed if the mod feels they are not generating useful discussion any longer, so if and when that seems appropriate, it's what we can do if there seems like reasonable cause.
I agree with you and deboogle on about everything you have discussed here so far, I have been a mod in non-English (Arabic) forums for a long time and I know how hard it is to please everybody and to balance things out for the community and how hard it is for the forum to go the way you want it as a mod personally let alone for the forums to go the way every single poster wants.

however I want to discuss the part I quoted here, I know about this rule but I believe it should be revised, this is a rule solely based on the mod's perception and anticipation of the flow of discussion which could change anytime or a new poster could come with new points to discuss in any instant. I believe the ultimate job of the mods is to keep the forum a civil and fun place, what some mods perceive as "redundancy" and "not generating useful discussion" is highly subjective when in fact many (if not all) posters who are participating are having fun, which is one of the purposes of forums.

all I'm asking for here is to revise this rule if possible or apply more leniency toward such threads, I remember most of Clay Death's threads were locked because of such enforcements which was a shame IMO given how much fun they were plus there were points and useful posts going on from many posters' point of view.

btw I enjoyed the GOAT cheese/roasting/haha threads very much, I even posted many pix in the GOAT cheese one, which is supposed to be bashing my favorite player, so I feel sad they were closed, but if someone was getting personally offended then I'm sure the mods had a good reason to close them.

Last edited by habibko : 02-15-2009 at 10:39 AM.
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote