Locked Hahaha threads. - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #31
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Locked Hahaha threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennizen View Post
Farenhajt and Bascule must be laughing so much right now. They were the founders of the noletroll whiners association inc.

GM is such a harmonious place now that those threads are deleted. There is no bitterness, bile and people are policing themselves and behaving in a upright manner as befits the law-abiding citizens of the Internet world. If we are to quantify the success of this decision in reducing bitterness on GM, I would rate the success rate as 200%. Vamos Mods!!. You deserve a pat on the back and you can go back to taking another year of rest.
And do you think sarcastic comments like this really help? If you have a suggestion of how GM can be improved that you think is so much superior to what has been tried, why don't you make the suggestion instead of just adding to the cattiness?

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #32
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
And do you think sarcastic comments like this really help? If you have a suggestion of how GM can be improved that you think is so much superior to what has been tried, why don't you make the suggestion instead of just adding to the cattiness?
I don't think GM needs to be improved in any way. It was fine the way it was before this new set of GM rules came about and mods started feeling the need to clamp down on things. It's a sports related website and people belonging to different fanbases are bound to clash and that's how it should be. The only reason mods are required is to police personal insults or racist remarks or things of that nature. Any moderating beyond that is absolutely unnecessary. The locking down of the haha threads is one of the stupidest decisions ever taken by MTF mods.
“But even so, amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still for ever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.” - Melville, Moby Dick
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #33
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that all of these things devolve into personal insults. I don't personally agree with every single rule but I do whole-heartedly agree with clamping down on people who have so much hatred for a particular player or his fanbase that they need to insult people or groups of people for it - it blatantly makes GM a really unhappy place to be and I don't really think the vast majority of us want that. I don't like Roger, Rafa, OR Novak, but I'd never go into a thread and insult any of their fans. Some people can't seem to just live and let live, and instead of blaming the mods for ruining your fun, why not blame the few people who drove us to certain decisions?

It's not as if they were taken lightly and it's not as if it was just a couple people who made the decisions. If you haven't realized, the mods ourselves are a very diverse group who support many different players and dislike many other players. We try our hardest to be objective and try to make MTF enjoyable for EVERYONE and in my opinion it's simply unacceptable if a group of fans feel they have to stay out of GM because they personally get attacked for supporting a particular player. You are free to disagree of course, but the decision has been made, so it would be nice instead of just spewing sarcasm, if you guys could instead accept the decision and offer us ways to moderate less but still make the place enjoyable for all. You can't deny that match result threads involving certain players were nearly intolerable before these threads were shut down, and now they are still nearly intolerable. Granted I don't read every thread on GM every day, but I haven't noticed much of a difference in GM since those threads were shit - it was a pretty nasty place before and it's still a pretty nasty place. And the mods have nothing to do with the nastiness, you have to blame some of your fellow posters for that. But just saying you think GM is fine the way it is doesn't help us at all - it's already been determined that it's NOT fine, so why not try to help instead?

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 02-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #34
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry but I don't agree with any of your fundamental assumptions. If a fan cannot tolerate criticism of his favorite player, its his/her problem. The rest of us should not have to adjust because of it.

The problem is not with GM but with people as a whole. And you are not going to change that by implementing stupid rules which force people to rebel more.

I will not accept any decision which I feel will not solve the "perceived problem" but is just a way for the mods to feel that they have some sort of control or hand in issues that they really don't have.
“But even so, amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still for ever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy.” - Melville, Moby Dick
Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #35
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
I am sorry but I don't agree with any of your fundamental assumptions. If a fan cannot tolerate criticism of his favorite player, its his/her problem. The rest of us should not have to adjust because of it.
You're incorrect here. The problem is not about people tolerating criticism of their PLAYER. the problem is people being criticized PERSONALLY because they support the player.

Quote:
The problem is not with GM but with people as a whole. And you are not going to change that by implementing stupid rules which force people to rebel more.

I will not accept any decision which I feel will not solve the "perceived problem" but is just a way for the mods to feel that they have some sort of control or hand in issues that they really don't have.
I cannot speak for the rest of the mods, but this is a private message board. We are not trying to fix people as a whole. Our job is to make sure MTF runs smoothly and that it is an enjoyable place. It is not our problem if people are too immature to be respectful to other people. No one's requiring that people must be nice and fuzzy and warm all the time, but a mere modicum of respect is not that hard, and you are forgetting that the loudest and most problematic people here are people who are doing this on purpose to get a rise out of people. The fact that any small amount of moderation makes them want to just rebel more reflects upon them, not the moderators.

And if you think any of the mods actually enjoy spending wasting our time dealing with this crap, you really are mistaken. I would bet my life that all of the mods would like nothing more than for people to just act politely to other people so that we never had to do anything. That'd get rid of 99% of the issues on this board, but they are unwilling to do so, they insist upon acting like children, so the decision has been made that the mods will try to step in. Again, there are no rights to free speech here, it is a privately-owned board. If you don't like the decisions that have been made, that is of course your right, but although the rules may have gotten stricter in the past couple years and we may have more mods now, but MTF has never been a free-for-all. And I think the mods simply giving in to a few loudmouths who cause trouble then whine like 5 year olds whose mom took their lollipop would set a very bad precedent and make any moderating at all here nearly impossible. We can't possibly just cave to anyone who complains.

And again, you can feel free to disagree, but the fact remains that these threads were left open - in some cases - for years, without really much incident at all. They weren't closed because the rules changed, they were closed because a few people were incapable of abiding by them. Putting all the blame on oversensitive mods or stricter rules is, IMO, unfair and one-sided. We don't close threads just b/c we don't like them. I've left a few threads open in the Andy forum that I absolutely despise, because it's not about me personally, it's about the forum, and if the threads don't break the rules then I can't and don't close them. The same goes for GM, I am sure of that, that's why the threads were left open for so long until circumstances became such that people were merely posting to disrupt the forum (Which has always been against MTF's rules). To completely ignore the fact that some people go too far and that a few bad apples spoiled it for the rest of us is really unfair to the mods - nothing is ever a one-way street. We really want this place to be enjoyable for all, we don't get paid, we get nothing at all in return actually, the only reason why we bother is because we love tennis and we love MTF and the people we've been lucky enough to meet here and we want everyone to enjoy it. And I find it ironic (not talking to you tennizen) that the loudest complainers here are often the most problematic posters in GM. If they spent even 10% of the time they spend whining just simply ignoring players/results they don't like or putting other posters on their ignore list, there would be significantly less moderation and there would be nothing for them to even complain about. What a shocking concept.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #36
country flag TMJordan

TMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond repute

I blame Scoobs.

FUck Fuck

Idiot Idiot

John

you shit Isner

I hate you
TMJordan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #37
country flag tennizen

Quote:
You're incorrect here. The problem is not about people tolerating criticism of their PLAYER. the problem is people being criticized PERSONALLY because they support the player.
I spend a lot of time on MTF and such incidents are very very rare. They should be addressed in isolation.

Quote:
The fact that any small amount of moderation makes them want to just rebel more reflects upon them, not the moderators.
It's not just moderation but arbitrary moderation that I mean.

Quote:
And if you think any of the mods actually enjoy spending wasting our time dealing with this crap, you really are mistaken.
If you don't enjoy it, resign and quit.

Quote:
And I think the mods simply giving in to a few loudmouths who cause trouble then whine like 5 year olds whose mom took their lollipop would set a very bad precedent and make any moderating at all here nearly impossible. We can't possibly just cave to anyone who complains.
I think this is exactly what the mods did. The roasting threads were here for years without anyone complaining. A few people moaned about the players being insulted and lo and behold the mods caved in and closed down the threads.

Quote:
We really want this place to be enjoyable for all, we don't get paid, we get nothing at all in return actually, the only reason why we bother is because we love tennis and we love MTF and the people we've been lucky enough to meet here and we want everyone to enjoy it.
You get a lot of power in return so saying you get nothing in return is not correct. I do understand that moderating is difficult but don't make yourselves martyrs.

Quote:
And I find it ironic (not talking to you tennizen) that the loudest complainers here are often the most problematic posters in GM. If they spent even 10% of the time they spend whining just simply ignoring players/results they don't like or putting other posters on their ignore list, there would be significantly less moderation and there would be nothing for them to even complain about. What a shocking concept.
And there could be no wars in this world. And all people would live harmoniously respecting each other and there would be no killing. Into that heaven of freedom let MTF awake
Old 02-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #38
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I cannot speak for the rest of the mods, but this is a private message board. We are not trying to fix people as a whole. Our job is to make sure MTF runs smoothly and that it is an enjoyable place. It is not our problem if people are too immature to be respectful to other people. No one's requiring that people must be nice and fuzzy and warm all the time, but a mere modicum of respect is not that hard, and you are forgetting that the loudest and most problematic people here are people who are doing this on purpose to get a rise out of people. The fact that any small amount of moderation makes them want to just rebel more reflects upon them, not the moderators.

And if you think any of the mods actually enjoy spending wasting our time dealing with this crap, you really are mistaken. I would bet my life that all of the mods would like nothing more than for people to just act politely to other people so that we never had to do anything. That'd get rid of 99% of the issues on this board, but they are unwilling to do so, they insist upon acting like children, so the decision has been made that the mods will try to step in. Again, there are no rights to free speech here, it is a privately-owned board. If you don't like the decisions that have been made, that is of course your right, but although the rules may have gotten stricter in the past couple years and we may have more mods now, but MTF has never been a free-for-all. And I think the mods simply giving in to a few loudmouths who cause trouble then whine like 5 year olds whose mom took their lollipop would set a very bad precedent and make any moderating at all here nearly impossible. We can't possibly just cave to anyone who complains.

And again, you can feel free to disagree, but the fact remains that these threads were left open - in some cases - for years, without really much incident at all. They weren't closed because the rules changed, they were closed because a few people were incapable of abiding by them. Putting all the blame on oversensitive mods or stricter rules is, IMO, unfair and one-sided. We don't close threads just b/c we don't like them. I've left a few threads open in the Andy forum that I absolutely despise, because it's not about me personally, it's about the forum, and if the threads don't break the rules then I can't and don't close them. The same goes for GM, I am sure of that, that's why the threads were left open for so long until circumstances became such that people were merely posting to disrupt the forum (Which has always been against MTF's rules). To completely ignore the fact that some people go too far and that a few bad apples spoiled it for the rest of us is really unfair to the mods - nothing is ever a one-way street. We really want this place to be enjoyable for all, we don't get paid, we get nothing at all in return actually, the only reason why we bother is because we love tennis and we love MTF and the people we've been lucky enough to meet here and we want everyone to enjoy it. And I find it ironic (not talking to you tennizen) that the loudest complainers here are often the most problematic posters in GM. If they spent even 10% of the time they spend whining just simply ignoring players/results they don't like or putting other posters on their ignore list, there would be significantly less moderation and there would be nothing for them to even complain about. What a shocking concept.
Amen. I would also add that leaving GM alone apart from moderating gross violations would just turn the place right over to the flamebaiters, the trolls, the incessant whiners, the posters who just love to cause trouble and find a tennis site a convenient forum in which to do so. What tennis discussion that does happen in GM, and it's still less than I'd like on a personal level, would completely evaporate, the posters that make this site worth coming back to, and there are some, would vanish, and GM would just become utterly vile. For me, this is a tennis forum - I don't see why mindless aggro between rival fangroups has to be accepted - no they wouldn't agree on much but that doesn't mean GM should become an online Thunderdome. I've been on forums like that in the past and it's deeply unpleasant if you actually want to discuss the subject the forum is about and not just spend your time abusing other people.

I don't know what else to say - I think on the whole the mods and admins that cover GM are roughly in agreement that more clearly defining the forum rules and enforcing them more rigourously has been a good thing for GM. Certainly for me I think there's been less mindless flamebaiting and I can see some posters clearly thinking a bit more carefully about what and how they post now they've seen some people have been thrown off the site temporarily and permanently for disregarding the rules. For me this is a good thing. Is GM now perfect? Very far from it. Will it ever be? No. But for me that's no reason not to try to enforce a minimum standard of decency and respect in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJordan View Post
I blame Scoobs.
I don't know if you are joking, or genuinely have some problem with me. I don't much care either way but it would be good to know.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #39
country flag TMJordan

TMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond repute

I kid I kid. I joke I joke.

FUck Fuck

Idiot Idiot

John

you shit Isner

I hate you
TMJordan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #40
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooper View Post
i don't know how it is.
can i guess?bad apples made in serbia?
imac 'n her tales(with deputy elessar)destroyed all the fun but i dare someone else to say the same.

oh,must be ljubica's ('n great people around her) fault?
When is chooperdoo going to get banned for his constant attacks on me?
l_mac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #41
country flag tennizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post

I don't know what else to say - I think on the whole the mods and admins that cover GM are roughly in agreement that more clearly defining the forum rules and enforcing them more rigourously has been a good thing for GM. Certainly for me I think there's been less mindless flamebaiting and I can see some posters clearly thinking a bit more carefully about what and how they post now they've seen some people have been thrown off the site temporarily and permanently for disregarding the rules.
You see what you want to see
Old 02-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #42
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And again, you can feel free to disagree, but the fact remains that these threads were left open - in some cases - for years, without really much incident at all. They weren't closed because the rules changed, they were closed because a few people were incapable of abiding by them.
Yes, the Noletrolls.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #43
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Certainly for me I think there's been less mindless flamebaiting and I can see some posters clearly thinking a bit more carefully about what and how they post now they've seen some people have been thrown off the site temporarily and permanently for disregarding the rules.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #44
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You see what you want to see
As do you

You see "arbitrary decision making" where I see mods looking at the rules, looking at the situation and applying best judgement.

You see "clashes between rival fangroups" which is healthy and fun, I see needless flamebaiting, disrespectful and offensive posting and little tolerance of a shared space.

You see "nothing in GM has changed in spite of the ridiculously excessive moderation that takes place", I see small but welcome changes and a reduction in the amount of posts that I come across that need to be dealt with and a drop in the number of reported posts in big events like slam finals or marquee matches.

Ultimately you and I are on opposite sides of an unbridgeable chasm on this one. I don't see much point in going around in circles making the same points. I'm happier with the way it is going, you're not. That's unlikely to change.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #45
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

I opened a thread in the blog section of Rafa's forum, away from the rough and tumble of GM, where like minded happy go lucky sorts from various fanbases come together, and it was removed.

Why?

Are we going to enforce GM rules on player forums? If so there are some mightily dubious things posted in various player forum chat threads that I would say warrant closure.