2009 Australian season thread - Page 57 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #841
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 Australian season thread & Livescoring

wow. it took almost 15mn for my previous post to get dealt with by the board servers! >_<

ok, I read it on the tourney website twitter thing; Fed & Mirka flooded the center court with tears. *disappointed* lol.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #842
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, didn't (couldn't) see your post Les. Thanks for the explanation.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #843
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there are other explanations... I can be quite harsh sometimes (as I'm sure you've all noticed )
I do feel that Fed lost that match and Rafa just hung in and waited for the disintegration (which was bound to come), but Rafa is the deserving Champion due to being able to win like that on his least favourite surface. And for the SF against Verdasco, it was his Australian Open and well done to him!

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #844
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

OK I'll give you that Roger didn't conciously try to steal Rafa's limelight but that is what essentially happened anyway. And it was his own fault he lost as it was his game that crumbled, Rafa didn't even have to step it up any. I've run out of sympathy I guess, I would have more respect for him if he did his talking with his racket rather in his press conferences. He definitely needs to take a leaf from Rafa's book there!

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #845
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
The women's tour is a complete joke right now. And there are so few prospects that seem able to change that.
Agreed. Its the end of an Era, with Maria being the seal of that era. Most of the newcomer's seem to have the most fragile heads (or in Tati's canse, body) ever, they're a bunch of chokers and its horrible to watch. Its horrifying to think what will happen when the WS retire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ictmee View Post
I used to think Federer had class but he doesn't give his opponents enough respect imo, and his bitching at the start about not being favourite has me supporting whoever he's playing now. Rafa is the gentleman in that particular rivalry I feel And I'm totally delighted for him! Deserved Champion!
Yeah, it was pretty pathetic and you could see that Rafa didn't want to celebrate his win as he would usually do out of respect for federer, which is pretty ridiculous. Federer definatly lost some of my respect today, even though I was supporting him. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too arrogant. Congrats Rafa.

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #846
country flag Eimear O'Mahony

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like the consensus is that Federer lost a bit of respect today and I must agree. He really didn't pay Rafael the respect he deserved. Rafa was the deserving champion coming back from the match against Verdasco to play like that against Federer and then Federer made it all about him which wasn't the right thing to do. I didn't like him before and I like him even less now
Eimear O'Mahony is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:48 AM   #847
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I used to think Federer had class but he doesn't give his opponents enough respect imo, and his bitching at the start about not being favourite has me supporting whoever he's playing now. Rafa is the gentleman in that particular rivalry I feel And I'm totally delighted for him! Deserved Champion!
Quote:
Federer was in tears and couldn't manage his speech. Rafa had to give him a wee cuddle before he could do his thanks but he started crying again as Rafa lifted the trophy...
Bad crack, it isn't always about YOU Roger! He even had Rafa apologising for beating him! It was like watching a car crash...
I totally agree. Federer still really thinks everything should be about him. He really deserves the "Ego King" title, imo. He pouted the entire tournament about not being the main focus, and it seems he was determined to take the spotlight even if he wasn't the winner.

I don't fault him for crying, I would cry, too. I do fault him for doing it when he did, because he was clearly taking all the attention off Rafa winning. I don't think he's evil and did this on purpose, but he still should have a little more control over his emotions. Normally I feel bad seeing anyone cry, but Federer talks so much trash lately that I must admit I got a sick pleasure when I saw all the photos on major news sites with him pouting.

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:01 AM   #848
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_is_onUSA View Post
I like the way that you sum things up, Eimear. Whatever happened, I agree that it took away from Rafa's celebration. Rafa continues to show us that he is gracious in both win and defeat, even in the biggest moments. He knows how to fight for himself, but it's not all about him (a true collectivist at his best!).
This should be the focus, really. We're just aiding Federer by making a big deal about his antics. We really should just ignore that and focus on Nadal.

Not only did he show himself to be a true champion by coming back from such a tough SF to win another slam, but he basically put all that aside to comfort the person he just defeated. That's pretty classy.

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:34 AM   #849
country flag turtle-rn

You're all so harsh! Can't you feel some empathy for a multi-millionaire who's just been denied an ornament on his shelf and a line on his record only because he melted down badly in the fifth set?
Bad bad people!

Old 02-02-2009, 05:15 AM   #850
country flag anaquot

anaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond reputeanaquot has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't watch the final, just sat back all day delaying checking the scores just hoping Rafa had won, then my dad called and pretty much gave it away (we share a distaste for Federer). All I keep thinking now is how great it would be if Gilles can beat him every time they meet, too. Now that would really make him cry The main thing that bugs me is how controlled Roger's emotions are while he is playing but then he balls at the end, it feels almost dishonest...I like how Rafa and Gilles show their emotions without losing control...maybe Roger can't show any while playing or he loses control so he just saves it up for the end?

And cannot forget how much progress Gilles has already made on his goal for the year!
anaquot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #851

Eimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond reputeEimear O'Mahony has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaquot View Post
And cannot forget how much progress Gilles has already made on his goal for the year!
Yeah well done to Gilles on reaching the quarters but I think he should change his goal and aim to get to the semis of a slam. I defintely think he's good enough he just needs a little more experience and it'd be good for him to raise the bar a little and have something more to work towards
Old 02-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #852
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

His goal was higher too.

- You make no secret of your big ambitions in Melbourne. How big are they?
- I've never reached the 4th round of a Slam. But to be honest, I aim higher. Like, a semi-final. I want to beat a top player in a Slam. I beat Nadal and Federer in other events. I'd like to do it again in a Slam.
(...) If I reach the final in Melbourne and I don't do anything for the rest of the year, I'll be happy.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=134
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #853

Oh I didn't see that Fran. Thanks. He's right. His goal should be to reach at least the semis of a slam. Let's hope he achieves it this year