Massive .gifs in signature - prohibition? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
country flag FairWeatherFan

FairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Massive .gifs in signature - prohibition?

I like reading people's signatures but I noticed that some posters have massive images in their signatures. I noticed that one poster in general messages recently had a seven meg .gif file in their signature. Should this be allowed? I don't like to complain but it is a drain on bandwith and slows down the speed of thread browsing.
FairWeatherFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Massive .gifs in signature - prohibition?

you can turn signatures off, I have them turned off.
Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
country flag FairWeatherFan

FairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond reputeFairWeatherFan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for you reply. I know they can be turned off but I quite enjoy reading some...
Find it weird that the no. of lines a signature can be is limited...so as to make thread reading easy...and yet it is okay to put some ridiculously hugely sized image in one?
FairWeatherFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
country flag Carlita
Bite me.....

Carlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldnt have to switch signatures off The premium members can find a thread in the premium forum about the limits of signature pics. (600 x 225 pixels) If you see one that's bigger, please report a post and tell us about it, we can't check/see everyone's signature Also if you find a gif that's slowing things down too much, please report so we can look into it.
Carlita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
country flag TankingTheSet

TankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Carlita*~ View Post
You shouldnt have to switch signatures off The premium members can find a thread in the premium forum about the limits of signature pics. (600 x 225 pixels) If you see one that's bigger, please report a post and tell us about it, we can't check/see everyone's signature Also if you find a gif that's slowing things down too much, please report so we can look into it.
The problem could be that the forum server only checks the resolution of the animated GIF.

So the servers checks the limit of 600 x 225 limiting the file-size to 20k or something. But it doesn't check for animated gifs. So if the gif has 1000 frames with 600 x 225 size that's 20MB!!! Clearly a loophole there.

After the picture is loaded once on most desktop systems it will resolve because it stored in the temporary internet files although it still slows down slower PCs because of the huge size.

However, if the PC or mobile device has a medium/slow net connection there will be huge delay the first time the page loads, or every time if the device doesn't have large internet cache (temporary internet files) or isn't properly configured.

Apart from the problems for users this may also kill server performance. I wouldn't be surprised if the recent problems with the MTF server is related to this loophole. I mean repeatedly having to send 20000k instead of 200k to load a forum page is some difference for a server!

TT Singles 2012: W: Winston-Salem SF: Honolulu CH, Rotterdam, Memphis, 's-Hertogenbosch, Wimbledon, Beijing, Vienna QF: Barcelona, Nice, Bastad, Petange CH, Bangkok R16: Monte Carlo, Madrid
TT Doubles 2012: W: Caloundra CH (with kingroger), Acapulco (with keqtqiadv) F: Beijing (with KittyTennis) SF: Sydney (with Belludal), Memphis (with Belludal), Guadalajara CH (with kingroger), Wimbledon (with RHB1993) QF: Barcelona (with extremaduratenis), Cincinnati (with stbanchile)

Last edited by TankingTheSet : 01-28-2009 at 08:29 PM.
TankingTheSet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
country flag Carlita
Bite me.....

Carlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond repute

Good point. I shall pass it on to the webmaster. See if they can set a limit like the avatars. ...x... pixels or ...kb whichever is smaller, something like that.
Carlita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
country flag SloKid
In hiding.

SloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankingTheSet View Post
The problem could be that the forum server only checks the resolution of the animated GIF.
Unfortunately I don't believe there's any check now and the images can be any size in theory. There are guidelines on size, but that's it.

But as Carlita said, the idea will be forwarded on.
SloKid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
country flag TankingTheSet

TankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond repute

A small correction, in most cases I think a big animated gif will be linked from an external website, so it doesn't affect the MTF servers itself in that case.

TT Singles 2012: W: Winston-Salem SF: Honolulu CH, Rotterdam, Memphis, 's-Hertogenbosch, Wimbledon, Beijing, Vienna QF: Barcelona, Nice, Bastad, Petange CH, Bangkok R16: Monte Carlo, Madrid
TT Doubles 2012: W: Caloundra CH (with kingroger), Acapulco (with keqtqiadv) F: Beijing (with KittyTennis) SF: Sydney (with Belludal), Memphis (with Belludal), Guadalajara CH (with kingroger), Wimbledon (with RHB1993) QF: Barcelona (with extremaduratenis), Cincinnati (with stbanchile)
TankingTheSet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote