Australian Open 2009 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
country flag Tess Gray

Tess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Open 2009

I saw the match. It looked a little up/down/up/down. The 3rd set wasn't very good, definitely a loss of concentration there But in the 4th he stepped it up and played some great point. His serve was a lot better today

Almagro next Should be a good match.

Thanks for the translation Fran!
Tess Gray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #17
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

Amalgro is not at his best, Gael must win this one
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #18
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing new in l'Equipe, except that he's told in his post-match interview Koubek complained he was pulling a show and acting as if he was tired in the 3rd set.
GaŽl is not happy: "pfff... why is he looking at me to begin with? I don't even think he might see me. As for me, I don't look at him. I'm just focused on my game and 'destroying' him." And then he explains the thing with his new muscular mass and how it affects his condition sometimes.

It made me laugh because I knew Koubek had already written in his "Tagebuch" *before the match* that GaŽl was certainly going to fake physical problems.
I don't think GaŽl was faking because he is a terrible actor and it's very obvious when he's just acting. And he definitely has toned down the show with the "new boss".

Forget is very laudatory in Le Parisien about the work done with Rasheed:
http://www.leparisien.fr/abo-sports/...009-384382.php
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #19
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

First match on Hisense tonight.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #20
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

a win in 3 would be great to be fresh against tough opponents.

I respect almagro but gael should beat him.

Allez!

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #21
country flag Truc

Not only with the prospect of the next rounds, he'll need to keep the match as short as possible imo, his condition really is suspect (I don't think he's faking because it was the same in Doha already, he was struggling physically in the 3rd set against Roddick). So if it's a long match, it will give a big advantage to Almagro.

I saw Almagro's match against Muller at the USO last year and I didn't find him that bad on HC - but still, GaŽl should win. He's the big favourite for the bookies.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:34 AM   #22
country flag Truc

6/4, 6/3, 7/5 in 2h10

I can't stand those interview transcripts, they make their English sound worse than it is:

Q. Tell us about the game. You must be happy with the match.

GAEL MONFILS: Yeah, I think I play a good game again today. I was compete hard. I think everything was great. I mean, the concentration, physically also. So I'm very happy with.

Q. You had some spectacular shots out there, throwing yourself around the court. Are you okay after all that?

GAEL MONFILS: Yeah, I'm okay. Like little tricks. But with a lot of luck. I mean, it's part of the game.

Q. Can you talk about the changes to your game since Roger Rasheed has become your coach.

GAEL MONFILS: At least a lot I try to be closer with my baseline and try to be a little bit more aggressive, and also I change a little bit my physical attitude, to be like maybe more strong.

Also I try to learn me like the concentration, the first point till the last one, and try to switch a little bit like my tactic sometime. If it's not working, change. Actually is working.

Q. How about the personal relationship between the two of you? Are you close off the court as well?

GAEL MONFILS: Yeah, yeah. I mean, like the very first contact like very close. Was when I was in Adelaide because I spend a month there with him. I meet his family. So, I mean, he's a very great guy. He's different.

On the court, he's very strong and strict, and then after he's very relaxed. I mean, he's a great man.

Q. What did you think of the challenge call at the end of the third set? Did you know what was happening?

GAEL MONFILS: I mean, I don't care about. If you want to talk, it's okay with me. I sit and relax (smiling).

Q. You had a rest?

GAEL MONFILS: Yeah.

Q. What did he say to you when he came to the net?

GAEL MONFILS: I think he tried to say, like, about my racquet, because I switch racquets. I wonder your racquets, or something like this.

Q. How did Rasheed get you to play more up front, taking the balls early, rather than taking them from the fence? What about him made you change your entire tactics compared to previous coaches?

GAEL MONFILS: Actually, it was another mentality. Also, I mean, I think I was ready to do it, change a little bit my game. I change also my racquet. So help me a little bit to do, like, a game like that.

Maybe useless energy to hit the ball to be closer. So actually, I mean, have a different way to work. Basically the message, I receive very good the message. Maybe it's the way how he pass the message to me and I receive good. Maybe this is the little change with the other one.

Q. I understand you say you are ready to make that change. Do you regret not having made it earlier?

GAEL MONFILS: I mean, I never think about the past and even in the future. If you stay in the past, in the future, you cheat on the present. It's whatever. The past is the past.
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...769691640.html
Old 01-24-2009, 07:39 AM   #23
country flag Truc

He doesn't say anything interesting in his audio interview. He's happy about his match, means he dind't have a lapse of concentration like in the other matches (I did find him weaker in the 3rd set, Almagro just couldn't take advantage of it). He talks about Rasheed, what they did together in Adelaide. Gilles is a friend, they don't practice very often together, but they know each other so well, it will be a bit special, they can read into each other's game and attitude on the court so well. They've never played each other, just one time in the French Interclubs a few years ago and Gilles won 7-6 in the 3rd set tiebreak, so he predicts a long match.

The stats:
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...11/1303ms.html
36 winners, 24 UE, 12 aces, no DF

Last edited by Truc : 01-24-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #24
country flag Truc

He didn't look slow at all, btw, I was really impressed by his movement yesterday (after all the talk about the new muscle mass slowing him down). His defense looked so crazy even in slow motion.

I'm afraid Gilles handles the situation (to have to face a friend in a big match) better, TBH. GaŽl looked quite petrified when he played Ritchie at the AO 2 years ago, he looked weird in Bangkok against Jo too... I know GaŽl has been improving so much mentally lately, but so has Gilles - and Gilles' concentration ability in this tournament has been very impressive.
On the other hand, GaŽl definitely looked yesterday like he can still step up his game a lot. He gives me the impression there's more room for improvement in his game.

The odds are completely even atm, 1.85 both!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #25
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

Matches between frenchies are so weird so many times. I'm impressed by Gael but on the other hand Gilles is so clever, no pronostics for me i don't bet anyway lol
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #26
country flag Truc

Gilles about Gaël, it's so cute again:
Le rationnel et le fantaisiste s'entendent comme larrons en foire depuis qu'ils sont jeunes. Avec beaucoup d'affection, Gilles Simon se souvient en riant de leur première rencontre : «On est à l'Insep, il a encore ses lunettes et il me dit : "Toi, viens, on va faire un match et je vais te fourrer". Direct. Alors qu'on avait six niveaux d'écart. On avait fait un premier match, ça avait été une boucherie. Et il n'a jamais arrêté, chaque année. Contrairement à ce qu'on a pu dire sur lui, c'est un super mec. Oui, il est extravagant. Oui, il a parfois des attitudes très inattendues. Mais si tu as besoin de lui, il est toujours là. Il est hyper généreux. On a un énorme respect l'un pour l'autre et ce n'est pas de se jouer en huitièmes qui va changer quoi que ce soit.» Au Centre national d'entraînement, ils ont rêvé ensemble devant les joueurs de Roland-Garros et aujourd'hui, ils se retrouvent face à face dans une forme impeccable.
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/AUS_09_2401_H.html

It's something like:
The rational guy and the eccentric one have been as thick as thieves for a long time. Gilles Simon remembers with a laugh and a lot of affection the first time they met: "He was still wearing glasses at the time. He told me: 'Hey, you, let's play a match, I'm going to destroy you.' Just like that. Although he was six levels below me in the rankings. We played a match, it was a slaughter. Contrary to what people might say about him, he really is a great guy. Yes, he's eccentric. Yes, he sometimes does unpredictable things. But he's always there for you when you need him. He's extremely generous. We have huge respect for each other and playing each other in the 4th round won't change anything in that regard." They used to dream together watching the top players in the training center of Roland-Garros. Today it's their turn to play each other in a Slam, and both in blazing shape.

Last edited by Truc : 01-24-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #27
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

now I have this image of Gael with his glasses
thanks Fran, I hope they'll make a great match
amdany is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #28
country flag Tess Gray

Tess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond repute

Gael Good match.

I liked when Nico got crazy over a call and Gael sat down in a lineswoman's chair and just started to talk to her He was like: dude wth you getting so upset about.

Next Gilles I'm really excited to see this one! Should be a great test.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #29
country flag real_995

real_995 has a reputation beyond reputereal_995 has a reputation beyond reputereal_995 has a reputation beyond reputereal_995 has a reputation beyond reputereal_995 has a reputation beyond reputereal_995 has a reputation beyond reputereal_995 has a reputation beyond reputereal_995 has a reputation beyond reputereal_995 has a reputation beyond reputereal_995 has a reputation beyond reputereal_995 has a reputation beyond repute

it hard match but i think gael will pass him
real_995 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #30
country flag Tess Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by real_995 View Post
it hard match but i think gael will pass him
I don't know. I don't think we should underestimate Gillou. He's been playing really well the last few weeks/months. But I think Gael definitely has a realistic shot...