Articles, News ... - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #121
country flag Baghdatis#1

Baghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles, News ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getta View Post
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...d-by-lamb.html

Mediterranean man Baghdatis seduced by lamb

Thu, 22 Jan 2009 03:19:34 GMT

Melbourne - The Australian Open diet of choice for Marcos Baghdatis certainly breaks a few training rules with the Cypriot currently unable to resist lashings of Greek food. Team Baghdatis has visited a Greek deli on Melbourne's elite shopping-and-eating Chapel Street at least three times, according to the gossip press.

Local media reported the 2006 finalist and his coach have treated themselves to dishes including spit-roasted lamb and the melted cheese delight of saganaki - hardly the food of champions.

The healthy option seems to be the seafood platter in the city with the biggest Greek population outside Athens.

Mediterranean man Baghdatis is not the only major player with a taste for Aussie lamb. Serena Williams apparently managed to secure a takeaway souvlaki as well early in the week.
But it seems that Mexican food is the flavour of choice for some with the Fiesta restaurant just around the corner of trendy Toorak Road - made famous by regular visits from Andre Agassi - the preferred sustenance provider for Andy Murray, Roger Federer and girlfriend Mirka, plus Lleyton Hewitt.

Melbourne has the 2nd largest Greek population outside Athens
I thought it was NY and Melbourne was 3rd
whatever...does it matter?????

and thanks for the article

Through the good and the bad, always my #1, no matter what the rankings say
Baghdatis#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #122
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...01/23/fish.ap/

Posted: Friday January 23, 2009 9:35AM; Updated: Friday January 23, 2009 9:40AM

Fish falls to unseeded Baghdatis

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Unseeded Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus has knocked No. 23 Mardy Fish out of the Australian Open in the third round.

While the 6-2, 6-4, 6-4 victory over the American serve-and-volleyer looks like an upset, Baghdatis is a former top 10 player who is coming back from wrist and back injuries that limited him to 12 tournaments last year and dropped his ranking to its current No. 99.

The match didn't end until 1:13 a.m. Saturday, though that's hardly late for Baghdatis. Last year, he lost a five-setter in Melbourne against Lleyton Hewitt that finished at 4:34 a.m.

Baghdatis is trying to replicate his 2006 breakout performance at the Australian Open, when he lost to Federer in the final.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press.
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:19 AM   #123
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...rom=public_rss

Marcos Baghdatis, Andy Roddick into Australian Open fourth round

January 24, 2009

FORMER Australian Open finalist and crowd favourite Marcos Baghdatis won through to the fourth round after a late-finishing, straight-sets win over No.23 seed Mardy Fish.

The Cypriot, who stormed into the spotlight with his surprise run to the final in 2006, downed American Fish 6-2 6-4 6-4.

It was fortunate for Baghdatis he was able to finish the match in three sets, as it still ended at 0115 (EDT) on Saturday, having started at 11pm on Friday following a long women's match between Ana Ivanovic and Alisa Kleybanova.

Tournament officials came under fire last year for the late staging of a match involving Baghdatis. On that occasion he lost a five-setter to Australia's Lleyton Hewitt, a match which ended at 4.34am, after starting shortly before midnight.

Baghdatis came into the tournament in scratchy form, after almost falling out of the top 100 last year, due to injury problems.

But he said he was starting to hit form in what he described as his "home'' grand slam, given the amount of crowd support he enjoyed in Melbourne.

"I'm really happy I'm winning here and getting some confidence,'' he said.

"For a long time now I haven't been getting some wins so I'm really glad to be getting them here.''

Baghdatis will face defending champion Novak Djokovic in the fourth round.

Revitalised Roddick flattened 36-year-old Fabrice Santoro 6-3 6-4 6-2 to remain on course for a quarter-final with Djokovic and end the Frenchman's Australian Open career, which started in 1991.

"Saying I respect him is an understatement,'' Roddick said.

The world No.8 will play Tommy Robredo in the fourth round after the No.21 seed ended the giant-killing run of Taiwan's Lu Yen-Hsun 6-1 6-3 6-2.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #124
country flag Getta

http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/...lian_Open_draw

Saturday, 24 January 2009

'Midnight' Marcos Baghdatis slams Australian Open draw

Melbourne Park favourite Marcos Baghdatis says it's a "pain in the arse" Australian Open organisers keep making him play midnight matches.

Incredibly, a year after featuring in the infamous dawn showdown with Lleyton Hewitt, Baghdatis was again ordered onto court after 11.30pm for another third-round encounter on Friday.

Baghdatis, the 2006 Open runner-up, lost to Hewitt in an epic five-setter that finished at 4.34 in the morning.

This time, the Cypriot with Australian connections beat American Mardy Fish 6-2 6-4 6-4, but again he was the last player to leave the locker rooms after their match ended at 1.14 in the morning.

And, ironically, the result for Baghdatis was the same as for Hewitt 12 months ago - a daunting fourth-round meeting with Novak Djokovic.

"I can not say it's not a problem," Baghdatis said.

"It's a bit of a pain in the arse for me because the last two years I'm here I'm finishing matches after midnight and after one o'clock, we can say.

"So it's a bit of the pain in the arse, but I have nothing to do about it. It's just the way it is. I've got to accept it and find a way to get through it and that's where the challenge starts."

Baghdatis did not want to make a big deal out of his misfortune, accepting the scheduling is also difficult for Open director Craig Tiley, but said it would be impossible to catch up sleep before taking on reigning champion Djokovic on Sunday.

"I will wake up normal because my eyes will be open at seven or eight o'clock like always with all the adrenaline and all the pressure," he said. "So I don't think I'll get a lot of sleep.

"I'm not complaining or stuff. I'm just saying it's tough for the players. It happens that it's me second time in a row.

"But it doesn't matter, that's the way it is. You have to accept things and find a way to make everything good."

Baghdatis arrived in Melbourne ranked a lowly 97th in the world after injuries limited the one-time No.8 to just 12 tournaments last season.

But he is growing in confidence and doesn't view Djokovic as unbeatable.

"Slowly I'm winning matches, I'm fighting like an animal, working a bit hard and it pays off, so I'm pretty happy about that," Baghdatis said.

"I have nothing to lose now, just go on the court, play my tennis, try to win every point, find a solution and that's what I'm trying to do, so I'm very very happy.

"It's a grand slam. I'm very motivated for a grand slam, especially here in Melbourne.

"I feel like I have a grand slam at home with all the crowd and stuff.

"I set as an objective to pass the first week, so I guess the objective is a bit completed.

"So I'm pretty happy, but it's not finished. I know I'm in the fourth round playing against Djokovic, but I'll try to find a way to push him down and try to find a way to win the match."
Old 01-24-2009, 06:37 AM   #125
country flag baghdatis

baghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas719 View Post

Melbourne has the 2nd largest Greek population outside Athens
I thought it was NY and Melbourne was 3rd
whatever...does it matter?????

and thanks for the article
U are quite wrong there.

Athens is 1st
Thessaloniki 2nd
Melborurne 3rd.

Lol
baghdatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #126
country flag Getta

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/200...49820/-1/RSS04

Published: Saturday, January 24, 2009

Baghdatis is night owl at Australian Open

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Marcos Baghdatis is getting tired of burning the midnight oil at the Australian Open.

The 2006 runner-up finished his third-round match at 1:14 a.m. Saturday against American Mardy Fish.

But that was an early finish compared with his record from last year, when he lost to Lleyton Hewitt in a five-set match that didn't begin until after 11:30 p.m. and finished at 4:34 a.m.

Baghdatis, who beat Fish 6-2, 6-4, 6-4, said he wanted to play some earlier matches, maybe even in his fourth-rounder when he takes on defending champion Novak Djokovic.

"I cannot say it's not a problem," Baghdatis said. "It's a bit of a pain ... for me because the last two years I'm here I'm finishing matches after midnight ..."

Baghdatis said it would be impossible for him to catch up on his sleep before taking on Djokovic on Sunday.

"I will wake up normal because my eyes will be open at seven or eight o'clock like always with all the adrenaline and all the pressure," Baghdatis said. "So I don't think I'll get a lot of sleep.

"I'm just saying it's tough for the players. It happens that it's me second time in a row."

Tournament schedulers must not have been listening, although perhaps they were planning to allow him a Sunday sleep-in.

He's scheduled to play Djokovic in the second match at Rod Laver Arena on Sunday night, following a women's singles match that begins at 7:30 p.m. If that goes to three sets, it could be another late start for Baghdatis.

A former No. 8 after his strong play in 2006 that started with his finals loss to Roger Federer at Melbourne Park, Baghdatis has been hit by injuries and is now ranked 97.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #127
country flag Baghdatis#1

Baghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdatis View Post
U are quite wrong there.

Athens is 1st
Thessaloniki 2nd
Melborurne 3rd.

Lol
I just looked it up and only about 460,000 Greeks live in NYC.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:28 PM   #128
country flag Getta

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle5585698.ece

From Times Online
January 25, 2009

Novak Djokovic into last eight after late night victory over Marcos Baghdatis

Novak Djokovic reached the quarter-final of Australian Open with a late-night win over 2006 finalist Marcos Baghdatis.

Djokovic was pushed to a fourth set before winning 6-1, 7-6 (7/1), 6-7 (5/7), 6-2 in a match that started at 11.10 pm and finished at 2.26 am. The 21-year-old third seed sets up a last-eight clash with in-form American Andy Roddick, who demolished Tommy Robredo earlier. Three-time champion Roger Federer is also in his half of the draw.

"We waited three-and-a-half or four hours to get on the court so it was really hard to warm up," Djokovic said. "Actually we warmed up five times and then got cold again."

Baghdatis described the Australian Open's late matches as a "pain in the a***" this week after he was kept up to 1.14 am playing America's Mardy Fish.

The 97th-ranked Cypriot wrapped up a five-setter with Lleyton Hewitt last year at 4:34 am in the tournament's latest finish.

Apparently keen to get the match over, Djokovic made a quickfire start and was two breaks up before Baghdatis got a game on the board.

The Cypriot came to life in the second with more aggressive shot-making but he wilted in the tie-break, going down 7/1 for a two-set deficit. However, Baghdatis edged the third-set tie-break to stay in the match before Djokovic took control of the fourth, nailing a huge backhand for the second break and converting the first match point.

"I'm really happy to win such a match," Djokovic said, as he looked ahead to his quarter-final with Roddick. "It's the same quarter-final as the US Open last year. It's going to be really tough, he's playing fantastic tennis so let's see."
Old 01-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #129
country flag Getta

http://www.rte.ie/sport/tennis/2009/0125/djokovicn.html

Djokovic ousts Baghdatis

Sunday, 25 January 2009 16:16

Novak Djokovic set up a quarter-final with Andy Roddick after defeating Marcos Baghdatis in four sets in the fourth round of the Australian Open.

Djokovic, the defending champion, took three hours and 15 minutes to dismiss crowd favourite Baghdatis 6-1 7-6 (7-1) 6-7 (5-7) 6-2.

The first set passed in a blink of an eye as Baghdatis, the only unseeded player in the last 16, seemed not to realise the match had started after a lengthy wait for Jelena Dokic's match to end in Rod Laver Arena.

It took until the sixth game of the first set for Baghdatis to get on the board but it did little to affect the outcome as last year's champion served out the set.

Baghdatis made Djokovic work far harder in the second set as he mixed some blistering winners to the corners with delicate volleys and drop shots.

The Cypriot, who had his band of noisy supporters with him, went 3-0 up early but when he got broken in the seventh game the set was back on serve and headed for a tie- break.

Too many errors by Baghdatis put him on the back foot and Djokovic steamed through to take it 7-1.

The third set went with serve to go to another breaker.

But unlike in the previous set the players went toe-to-toe until Baghdatis found another gear, cracking an ace then two blistering forehand winners to the corner to get the decisive edge before a Djokovic forehand into the net handed the Cypriot the set.

Djokovic bounced back quickly though, taking a 2-0 lead after breaking Baghdatis in the first game of the fourth set.

Then having slugged it out for another four games without a break of serve, the Serbian got the breakthrough he was looking for and despite a double fault when serving out the set he came through when a backhand return by his opponent went wide.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #130
country flag Getta

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...26/2474047.htm

Djokovic pips Baghdatis, advances to quarters

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:12am AEDT
Updated 10 hours 0 minutes ago

Serbia's Novak Djokovic has kept alive his Australian Open defence with a 6-1, 7-6, 6-7, 6-2 fourth-round win over Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis that stretched into the early hours of Monday.

Djokovic, steadily growing in confidence with each match of the tournament, survived a spirited comeback from the flamboyant Baghdatis to set up a quarter-final clash with American Andy Roddick, who advanced safely with a 7-5, 6-1, 6-3 win over Spain's Tommy Robredo.

"It's big relief," Djokovic said.

"I was really happy to get through in the fourth set.

"It could really go either way. We had long rallies, even though the results don't show the real picture.

"Once he gets into the rhythm, he's one of the toughest opponents on this surface and I was aware of that."

Djokovic raced through the opening set in 25 minutes but the rest of the match was much tighter as Baghdatis, a finalist at Melbourne Park three years ago, began to find his rhythm after a slow start.

Djokovic fought back from a break down to win the second in a tiebreak but Baghdatis won the third, also in a tiebreak, as the world number three starting to show signs of tiring.

Slow start

Djokovic regained the initiative when he broke Baghdatis at the start of the fourth then broke him again before serving out for victory after three-and-a-quarter hours on centre court.

"I feel more confident the more wins I have under my belt," Djokovic said.

"It's logical. I did have a slow start in the tournaments before the Australian Open but this was my priority.

"I'm feeling much better on the court mentally and physically and gamewise. Hopefully I can continue in the same way in the quarter-finals."

The match did not end until 2.26am AEDT because the start was delayed by the late finish to the previous match between Jelena Dokic and Alisa Kleybanova.

"It's very tough to do but it's part of the job," said Baghdatis, who played a match against Lleyton Hewitt last year that finished at 4.34 am, the latest finish in grand slam history.

"I didn't have a lot of confidence because I didn't play for seven months [last year]...so I'm pretty happy with the tournament I played.

"I played four matches, I won three. My objective was to play in the second week of the Aussie Open so I made it by three hours."
Old 01-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #131
country flag Getta

Tennis.com is one of my least favourite sites. Finding there nonsensical articles, even rubbishy sometimes, it's not rare... The following blog entry was written by Tom Perrotta though.
=========================================

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/strin...tis-night.html

Baghdatis Nights
Posted 01/26/2009 @ 12 :56 AM

He won't reach the final this year, won't stand in the rain as his flag waiving fans dance and sing. He won't work quite as late as he did last year, when he fought Lleyton Hewitt until 5:30 a.m. For the third time in four years, though, Marcos Baghdatis has given Melbourne a fabulous late-night memory, even if he was again cast in the supporting role.

Not that he's particularly pleased about it. Baghdatis, the forgotten member of next generation after an injury-filled season in 2008, knows that he belongs alongside the game's best players, a fact that was obvious to anyone who watched his thoroughly entertaining--and at times electric--fourth-round loss against Novak Djokovic, the defending champion, 6-1, 7-6(1), 6-7(5), 6-2. Baghdatis's talent is abundant. His confidence, unfortunately, is fleeting.

"I have one regret and that's that I didn't believe I could win this match, and that pisses me off a bit," Baghdatis said at a little after 3:00 a.m. Monday morning. "It's the same story. I'm 23 and I had these problems when I was 20, so I just want to maybe change them for once."

Baghdatis, never one to withhold a wry comment, found one benefit to playing until 2:30 a.m.

"My objective was to play the second week of the Aussie Open, so, I made it by a bit, by three hours, so thanks to the tournament director who put me late so I could make it," he said.

Djokovic, who started this tournament slowly, was in vintage 2008 form by the middle of the second set, smashing his forehand, serving big, and pounding his broad chest, much to the delight of his boisterous fans. Baghdatis stayed with him step for step, his fast hands whipping the ball and his feet whirling along like they did three years ago, when he reached the final as a 20-year-old. One could see, though, that the pace of the match--the speed of the ball and the quick thinking required to survive each point--came easier to Djokovic. Like Baghdatis, Djokovic pushed his way into the Top 10 at a young age. But he hasn't budged and he's more comfortable working without time. At the end of the night, Baghdatis' Cyrpiot supports saluted Djokovic and chanted his name. Touched, Djokovic thanked them.

"We are Orthodox brothers," he said, inspiring a rousing applause.

In tournament mired by fan violence and misbehavior, this moment of camaraderie and acceptance put the finishing touch on what is now a Melbourne ritual, a spectacular Baghdatis Night.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:34 AM   #132
country flag baghdatis

baghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond repute

We are orthodox brothers
the best ever statement by a tennis player

ELLAS SRBJA ORTHODOXIA!
baghdatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:53 AM   #133
country flag Baghdatis#1

^In my part of NY, it is Greeks and Russians with that relationship. There aren't any Serbs I know of. I know Croatians (a lot) and Montenegrins (a few), and Bosnians (so,so). I guess the Serbs just never came here

Anyways, thanks for the articles, Getta

Old 01-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #134
country flag Getta

http://allafrica.com/stories/200901290063.html

South Africa: Baghdatis Says He is in SA Open to Win It

Mark Smit
29 January 2009

Johannesburg — A MUCH more confident Marcos Baghdatis arrived at Montecasino last night and declared: "I am here to win."

The Cypriot is one of the top draw cards in the ATP South African Open tennis championship starting on the casino courts on Monday.

He flew into a rain-drenched Johannesburg from a sweltering Australian Open in Melbourne, having reached the fourth round. There, he came up against reigning Open champion Novak Djokovic of Serbia and went down in four sets -- but not without the characteristic fight to the end.

"I was very pleased with my results in Melbourne," said Baghdatis. "Not only Djokovic, but my first three matches too. I was able to fight hard and the best thing was that I did it without any pain."

Last year was sheer torture for Baghdatis, with an ankle injury forcing him out for two months, then a wrist injury causing him to miss the French Open and the Beijing Olympics. "That was the worst, because I really wanted to win an Olympic medal for my country," he said.

Then, towards the end of the year, a disc in his back shifted during a tournament in Metz, forcing him to take more time off. So he went to Melbourne feeling less than confident, and it showed on occasion in his serve, which never reached the high percentages that it needed to in that company.

"I was terrible in the first set against Djokovic, but I am okay with my serve. Apart from that, it was always there when I needed it in the other matches.

"There is nothing wrong with the technique, it's all just a matter of confidence. I am more confident in my body now and my serve will improve," he said.

"It is great to be able to come here feeling fit and strong. I am tired right now after a very long flight but I will be on the court tomorrow to test the altitude."

While Spaniard David Ferrer set a cat among the pigeons on Sunday by suggesting Spanish left-hander Ferdinand Velasco would win the Australian Open, Baghdatis said he could not see Velasco getting past compatriot Rafael Nadal, his semifinal opponent.

"Conditions in the Melbourne heat are very tough -- that is why you get upsets. But I cannot see anything other than a (Roger) Federer-Nadal final. Velasco is good but I don't think he has the weapons to beat Nadal."

Baghdatis was almost affronted when a journalist asked him how far he expected to go in the Open. Would he be happy to reach the quarterfinals?

"I am here to win," he said. "I know each match will be tough and I will just have to keep on fighting. But I fought well in Melbourne. If I carry on fighting here I can do well."

The ATP released the final entry for the event yesterday with German Simon Gruel, ranked 126, replacing the injured Gael Monfils. Italian Favio Cipola (127) and Stephane Bohli of Switzerland (128) have taken the last two spots to make up the 25 direct acceptances. Three wild cards and four qualifiers complete the draw.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #135
Ivanatis

Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getta View Post
While Spaniard David Ferrer set a cat among the pigeons on Sunday by suggesting Spanish left-hander Ferdinand Velasco would win the Australian Open, Baghdatis said he could not see Velasco getting past compatriot Rafael Nadal, his semifinal opponent.

"Conditions in the Melbourne heat are very tough -- that is why you get upsets. But I cannot see anything other than a (Roger) Federer-Nadal final. Velasco is good but I don't think he has the weapons to beat Nadal."
at least in the quote they could stop writing Velasco

go Marcos in South Africa
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote