Gambling confession - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-31-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
country flag kinster

kinster has a reputation beyond reputekinster has a reputation beyond reputekinster has a reputation beyond reputekinster has a reputation beyond reputekinster has a reputation beyond reputekinster has a reputation beyond reputekinster has a reputation beyond reputekinster has a reputation beyond reputekinster has a reputation beyond reputekinster has a reputation beyond reputekinster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gambling confession

I started gambling 3 years ago in the summer. I am in debt at the moment at
-Ł614.03. My high point is near +Ł700 and low point is around near -Ł1000. I want to quit if I ever reach -Ł1000 again. I want to win my money back real bad and maybe quit but I doubt I ever will.

Tell me about your gambling story as I told you mine. Just wondering as if any of you people are is the same sort of situation like me.
kinster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
azza

azza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gambling confession

Always Pick Federer in early matches = 100% strike rate.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
country flag ryan23

ryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your story Kinster- ive been there and i'm sure most of the people on here have been, i got out of it luckily and i'm much better for it nowadays, theres always a way out m8 even if it means quit the gambling untill you can afford to do so,

nowadays i can afford to do it so i do but never at the expense of the important things in life e.g bills,roof over your head etc

Hope you get over it mate and i hope 2009 is better for you

Big Star/Alex Chilton R.I.P

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
ryan23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
country flag its.like.that
Banned!

its.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond repute

When I was 9 years old I stole $50 from my parents to buy a basketball card which I then sold for a little over $400.
its.like.that is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #5
country flag Thanos
Banned!

Thanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by its.like.that View Post
When I was 9 years old I stole $50 from my parents to buy a basketball card which I then sold for a little over $400.
which player was it?
Thanos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
country flag Gamblore

Gamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond reputeGamblore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacked82 View Post
which player was it?
Most probably Michael Jordan. But cards back from 1990 to 2000 or so are worth squat these days. Unless its a signed card with a piece of used jersey.
Gamblore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
country flag TankingTheSet

TankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinster View Post
I started gambling 3 years ago in the summer. I am in debt at the moment at
-£614.03. My high point is near +£700 and low point is around near -£1000. I want to quit if I ever reach -£1000 again. I want to win my money back real bad and maybe quit but I doubt I ever will.
The highlighted statement is one of the classic pathological thoughts that can lead to gambling addition and ever-increasing debts.

I'm not saying your situation is bad - the amounts you quote are relatively benign -- but it is a thought like 'I want to win my money back real bad' etc that can lead to increasing gambling problems/debts in some people.

It can help if you recognize such a tought as irrational, and just take it easy and try to view your gambling more as a recreational hobby in which case gambling can be more fun and relatively harmless. It's a lack of discipline with irrational thoughts like 'I want to win my money back bad', 'I need to win $xxxx by tomorrow/next month' that can cause problems.

The irrationality can be explained as follows:
1. Someone has $xxxx debt from gambling.
2. Wants to recover his debt by gambling.

Statement 1. suggests the person has a big chance of losing more money by gambling. Therefore statement 2. is irrational.

TT Singles 2012: W: Winston-Salem SF: Honolulu CH, Rotterdam, Memphis, 's-Hertogenbosch, Wimbledon, Beijing, Vienna QF: Barcelona, Nice, Bastad, Petange CH, Bangkok R16: Monte Carlo, Madrid
TT Doubles 2012: W: Caloundra CH (with kingroger), Acapulco (with keqtqiadv) F: Beijing (with KittyTennis) SF: Sydney (with Belludal), Memphis (with Belludal), Guadalajara CH (with kingroger), Wimbledon (with RHB1993) QF: Barcelona (with extremaduratenis), Cincinnati (with stbanchile)

Last edited by TankingTheSet : 01-03-2009 at 07:38 AM.
TankingTheSet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
country flag Iván
Banned!

Iván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond repute

Is that from your own mind TTS or have you copy and pasted?
Iván is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
country flag Lebowski

Lebowski has a reputation beyond reputeLebowski has a reputation beyond reputeLebowski has a reputation beyond reputeLebowski has a reputation beyond reputeLebowski has a reputation beyond reputeLebowski has a reputation beyond reputeLebowski has a reputation beyond reputeLebowski has a reputation beyond reputeLebowski has a reputation beyond reputeLebowski has a reputation beyond reputeLebowski has a reputation beyond repute

Quit your crying... something your father should have told you

MTF is the castrated community
Lebowski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
bad gambler

Quote:
That kind of entrepreneurship at such an early age should be embraced
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Tanking The Set is a pseudo intellectual type, so I believe it's his own production .

Kinster, hopefully you'll be fine. I had two thrilling adventures of this sort, but came back, although the second time (yeah, parlay with Mahut in Wrocław 2008) was painful enough that for a few days I didn't have money for a living as my salary got delayed.

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #12
country flag Roddickominator

Roddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond reputeRoddickominator has a reputation beyond repute

I started like a month ago....started with $100, got up to $2700 in 7 or 8 days. Put $2,000 on a 6-team parlay(NBA and college basketball) that'd have won me about $8,000.....A strong home favorite was upset by 3 points and I lost. Since then its been up and down....i'm down like a grand overall.

I think i'd have been better off losing early...because I can get a little too sure of myself and take too many risks. But i'm learning.
Roddickominator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
country flag ryan23

ryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond reputeryan23 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the problem when your on a winning streak you start to feel like you cant lose- but the tide will turn and thats when you know how good you are, dont get cocky!

Big Star/Alex Chilton R.I.P

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
ryan23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #14
country flag Bolar Bolabi

Bolar Bolabi has a reputation beyond reputeBolar Bolabi has a reputation beyond reputeBolar Bolabi has a reputation beyond reputeBolar Bolabi has a reputation beyond reputeBolar Bolabi has a reputation beyond reputeBolar Bolabi has a reputation beyond reputeBolar Bolabi has a reputation beyond reputeBolar Bolabi has a reputation beyond reputeBolar Bolabi has a reputation beyond reputeBolar Bolabi has a reputation beyond reputeBolar Bolabi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Can't beat what I did.

At an AFL practice football match one time in Lavington.

I printed off a whole heap of Mickey Mouse pictures. Signed them, then sold them to kids for $10 a piece saying Mickey Mouse signed it. I raised over $500 and was pretty happy with myself.

The smart thing about that was that if I sold it to them for more, their parents would ask what they need the money for.

I would do it again in a heart beat. This time maybe a Miley Cyrus picture. That seems to be the craze at the moment in young people.

Winner: Sydney
SF: Kooyong

Bolar Bolabi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
country flag Iván
Banned!

Iván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond repute

about 5 years ago i always use to start with say 100 pound and slowly build it up to about a 1 thousand, then the following week i would lose it all in a manic gambling spree of getting pissed off with certain losers.

in the last 2 years i have learnt to controll myself, i now value 400 pound say like 4 grand, dont get sidetracked by the number on your betting screen, as soon as you win a big amount witdraw it immedieatly into your bank account, leave a little to play with, if you lose it, wait two weeks and put in 100 pound again.
Iván is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote