Davis Cup 2008 final - leading Argentina's quest to win their first DC - Page 26 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #376
country flag Joolz

Joolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond reputeJoolz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup 2008 final - leading Argentina's quest to win their first DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_nanine View Post
why?!! I liked that guy a lot, I thought he was doing a great job with David!!!
Jaite was rumoured to become the new team captain even before Mancini officially stepped down. There has also been talk about Jaite and Mancini swapping places, i.e. Mancini taking over as David's new coach. But whether or not that really happens we'll have to wait and see.
Joolz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #377
country flag Minerva

Minerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup 2008 final - leading Argentina's quest to win their first DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_nanine View Post
why?!! I liked that guy a lot, I thought he was doing a great job with David!!!
I don't know why, actually I only found out through this:

Quote:
Martín Jaite confirmó anoche que no seguirá como coach.
http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2008.../01809822.html

Quote:
Dos, puntualmente, están en carrera: Martín Jaite y Hernán Gumy. Sobre el primero, en su entorno se confirmó que dejó de ser el entrenador de Nalbandian y se dijo que si se lo llaman para ocupar el cargo, no sólo no tendría inconvenientes en aceptar, sino que se le estaría cumpliendo "un sueño", tal como el propio Martín lo dijo públicamente durante la final.
http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2008.../01809826.html

It only says Jaite confirmed he was no longer Nalbandian's coach.
Minerva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #378
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
Jaite was rumoured to become the new team captain even before Mancini officially stepped down. There has also been talk about Jaite and Mancini swapping places, i.e. Mancini taking over as David's new coach. But whether or not that really happens we'll have to wait and see.
Yeah, I think it's because of the DC captain role. I don't think you're allowed to be both a coach of a player as well as the captain (although you can in other countries), because I remember Mancini giving Coria a bit of help, and that he had to reiterate that he wasn't actually coaching him, just advising him.

I hope Mancini takes over the coaching role from Jaite.

Apart from the rumours, it's all these descriptions of him as a person that are annoying.
"Known as a miserable cuss on the tour"
"Aloof and egocentric"

Last edited by krystlel : 11-25-2008 at 07:53 PM.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #379
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
Apart from the rumours, it's all these descriptions of him as a person that are annoying.
"Known as a miserable cuss on the tour"
"Aloof and egocentric"
Wow...the media is getting more and more boring and repetitive each day, aren't they? The English-speaking media piggy-back off each other too damn much with their assumptions about him; they've never interviewed him, nor have they tried, so their opinions of him cannot really be trusted, can they?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #380
country flag chabela

chabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond repute

David and Jaite had made a deal , they should work together all this season. Before the Davis Cup everybody talked about Mancini as coach and Jaite as DC captain.

Athough Mancini defended David against all the accusations I'm not sure he will want to be his coach. We will see.

Visita el flog de MARIO ANCIC
chabela is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #381
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

I was having a discussion with Julia about the press articles that have been going around, and this mainly sums up my thoughts on the matter:

Certainly David did show some poor behaviour during the tie, although you have to put it into context. The tie meant a lot to him. He wanted it so badly and expected to win, so when things didn't go as planned, he didn't deal with it well. As far as I'm concerned, that's all it was, not some ego trip, like some journalists have written. He is human, after all. When you're that passionate about something, it does result in sometimes extreme emotions either way. I guess, next time, he should learn not be as overconfident to be more well equipped to deal with any setbacks that occur along the way.

As for David ruining the unity of the team, it's far too hypothetical to speculate how much of an impact of the team. Regardless, I felt like both Calleri and Acasuso put in relatively decent performances, which could not have been called poor at all, compared to their recent form anyway, and played some good tennis in patches. All of the players were feeling down after the doubles (and maybe even after the singles), and it can be hard to bond together after times like that. I have always got the feeling anyway that David is the kind of team leader that can inspire others when he's really confident and playing well, but he doesn't do a good job of lifting others when he's feeling down himself - as can be seen in some of his doubles matches.

There were some heated exchanges with Calleri after all (no fight though), but it was more of a heat of the moment thing, but they're fine now. Whereas him and Del Potro don't seem to be on speaking terms. It's hard to comment on the extent of any of these incidents, based on reports, so I'll keep it generalised.

The arguments didn't really start until after the first day's play, so Bodo's reference to Del Potro's performance is reaching, if all they are referring to were his court surface demands and overpowering attitude. I did read a rumour though that David was already getting on Del Potro's case about him arriving late for Shanghai when they started practicing, insulting him (not arguing), but I find that one hard to believe since that sort of thing would be harder to hear from outsiders and I find it hard to believe that he would be acting like that at a time when he was optimistic and confident of success. Not to mention that this particular rumour is not widespread.

Regarding the campaigning for Cordoba, I remember back then that the team did get together and discuss the issue after the tie against Russia, and they all agreed to play in Cordoba. But now they are reporting, that David was the only one that wanted to play there. Certainly, he was the one that wanted it the most. In hindsight, I didn't really agree with the press conference he held to endorse Cordoba, but in the end, it's not a big deal, and it's just another thing they've used to criticise him with. The thing is, at that time, the players were not aware that it was even possible to play at Mar Del Plata since the place needed a lot of renovations, and no one thought it was a candidate, which is why they may have voted for Cordoba, but preferred to play in Mar Del Plata.

As reported earlier in the week, the speed of the court was not only tailored for him but for the rest of the team as well, although understandably his opinion is more important than Acasuso and Calleri's, since they were only slotted in for the doubles and Del Potro was not there to have his say. I find it amusing that both this and the information about the venue was already widely known before the tie finished, and no one cared about it then but they've now used it as yet another negative point about him.

As for Canas not being the team, that seems like such an obvious decision, I have no idea why he is held responsible for it. Canas has been nowhere near good enough recently and was left out accordingly. Apart from David wanting to play with Arnold Ker in the final, he also wanted Calleri to play instead of Chela in the 2006 final, and didn't get this say both times - so obviously he's not the one running the show.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #382
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

As for this fiasco, well they have to move on from this defeat, as for Nalbandian, well he is very direct and if he is pissed off, he will say so. Of course there was no fist fight, there are a few reasons for this, basically Calleri would thump him, if it came down to that and also they have known each other for a long time, blow off steam, done and moved forward.

Del Potro and Nalbandian, one person put themselves in front of the team and jeopardised their chances to win the title, but the facts are they couldn't get it done where it was necessary.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:08 AM   #383
country flag krystlel

Jaite has said in an interview that he is stepping down as coach because he wants to spend more time with his family and not travel as much. He also said that his experience with David during that time was very good, and that he really wants to become the new DC captain.
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1075484
Old 11-30-2008, 08:30 AM   #384
country flag Iulya

Iulya has a reputation beyond reputeIulya has a reputation beyond reputeIulya has a reputation beyond reputeIulya has a reputation beyond reputeIulya has a reputation beyond reputeIulya has a reputation beyond reputeIulya has a reputation beyond reputeIulya has a reputation beyond reputeIulya has a reputation beyond reputeIulya has a reputation beyond reputeIulya has a reputation beyond repute

Though Clarin newspapaper sais that Jaite is not among the favourites, ( they say Gabriel Markus, Hernán Gumy and Modesto Tito Vázquez are considered solutions)
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2008/11...d-01810403.htm

VAMOS CARLOS (Berlocq)

Florian Mayer,Teimuraz Gabashvili and Frank Dancevic Fan

Andrei Pavel !!!
Iulya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote