Mug Tennis - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #46
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mug Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
It's the same thing, on different levels.

I bet you'd prefer a faster carpet.
I'd prefer better lighting
Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
Unlucky mate, but your post doesn't belong in this thread since you clearly didn't play mug tennis. To take a serious player to a tie-break and have him worried like that is a great effort, so be proud of yourself.

Most players would have tanked at 6-0, 4-1, you are truly a Spartan
mate, the first set and a half fully belonged in here

I take after your beloved Rafito
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008, 03:37 AM   #47
country flag Medina
Ferrero Tard #12

Medina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond repute

lately ive played really bad

i recently m,ade the semfinals in AUs Jr tournament, and my match i went down 6-1 6-0. I could not keep a rally. my forehand would go down the middle and my backhand was just outtrocious. My backhand has a relkatively huge backswing and majority of them where late. I kept letting my ball toss dopr, there was nothing i could really do so i just gave up towards the end.
Medina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #48
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post

I take after your beloved Rafito
I don't think you do. If you did you would have retired after the first set with a mysterious injury and then complained about the heavy schedule that's been forced on you
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #49
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Adam has been owned.

I still like you anyway, princess.

What's your problem with indoor lighting, Adam? I have huge problems playing outdoors. I hate the sun with a passion.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #50

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Well I sure as heck returned to form today. Have been giving my sore wrist a bit of a rest lately so wasn't sure how I'd get on, but it ended up being one of those days where I couldn't miss.

Sorted out the forehand problem and I was really whipping it and finding great angles. Amazingly my backhand has become so much stronger since I've been relying on it more recently, so the drop of form has been a blessing in disguise. Serve - strong. Volleys - good. Won all the cat and mouse battles at the net.

I'm pumped right now

Thanks for letting me vent in this thread guys haha, has really helped a lot. Hopefully I've left my mug hack days behind me...for now.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #51
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I can celebrate opponent's mug tennis here? Coz' this one definitely deserves a mention.

A little background info here, I play in a university student's tennis league/group here in Finland. I started last spring and have been working my way up the rankings. The system is so that the season is divided into smaller rounds, and with each round you are put in a group of peers. Then you organize matches with those players and put the results on the web. After each round, the web page reorganizes the groups based on results, that is it demotes some people and promotes some people.

This system is actually pretty nice and flexible, you can play matches whenever it's good for you and you don't have to register as an official competitor in the Finnish league and enter lower tournaments that have something like 30€ enter fees or something...

Anyways, my opponent turns up and it's a 35-year old man (you don't have to be a student to play, but then the membership is more expensive). He's hung over and enjoys a nice cold beer after the warm up... In addition I was hitting my first serve very well, so I only needed to get it in and I'd won the point... I don't know whether it consitutes as even excersice . Well, at least I hugely improved my Games won / Games lost stat...
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post

Anyways, my opponent turns up and it's a 35-year old man (you don't have to be a student to play, but then the membership is more expensive). He's hung over and enjoys a nice cold beer after the warm up...

Guy sounds like a legend! How embarrassing would it have been if he then went on to kick your ass whilst enjoying a cold one every change of ends. Kinda reminds me of Stone Cold Steve Austin from the WWE!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #53
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

My mug award goes to my biceps tendon... it's awful and I can't play anymore. I'm going to the doctor again on monday.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #54
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post

Anyways, my opponent turns up and it's a 35-year old man (you don't have to be a student to play, but then the membership is more expensive). He's hung over and enjoys a nice cold beer after the warm up... In addition I was hitting my first serve very well, so I only needed to get it in and I'd won the point... I don't know whether it consitutes as even excersice . Well, at least I hugely improved my Games won / Games lost stat...
heh heh... probably a defining moment that definitely belongs in here and runs along the same lines...

there is a popular Easter tourney in the city where i am from in oz... players make an annual visit from all over the state.. i even made my visit coincide with it this year when i went home for 3 weeks... its your regular country tourney, city folk up for a bit of cash, while most get their fill in the bar every day... i was playing good tennis at the time in 2001, and, drew a pretty decent player from down south near the city... the guy would travel up each year and i'd seen him play... he would usually play his best tennis after 2pm and would request late starts so that the alcohol would have time to leave his system... this particular day i drew him in the 2nd round... at noon... f***ing guy walks on with a beer in his hand... i was laughing... he was smiling up a treat... inside i was laughing even more as i had won the 1st set 6-2... he was close to retiring.... struggling was an understatment... i got ruthless and went on to break twice to lead 5-0...

what happened after this i would rather not write about... needless to say i put the racquet down for 2 months... i still have mental scars tho, they do help... and the guy was actually there this year... so, we had a beer...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #55
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post

Guy sounds like a legend! How embarrassing would it have been if he then went on to kick your ass whilst enjoying a cold one every change of ends. Kinda reminds me of Stone Cold Steve Austin from the WWE!
Yeah, tell me about it . He might have done better if he had gotten his groundstrokes in, because I got no rhythm whatsoever during the match. Only my serve was warm and cookin'.

But yeah, glad I won, otherwise it would have been very embarrassing.

But hey, students / eternal students in Finland. Got to admire that... It seems like some people fuel with alcohol here
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #56
country flag Machiavelli

Machiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond repute

I had my league match yesterday, we were sheduled to play it last weekand, but my opponent asked to reshedule it at the last minute, and i was OK i with it, cause I got a bad hangover the night before; I was involved in an unreal tennis match, when you consider this a high level amateur league, first set (8)6/7, no breaks of serve on clay, unreal serving from both of us, winners outnumbering errors by a mile and he was just too good in the breaker, excellent match, i kind of played Henman like claycourt tennis, i disturbed him with a lot of mixing, chip and charge, s/v, i was up 4-0* in the second, should have bageled him easily coause i was totally pumped up, but then he comes with some unbelivabl passing shots in Nadull style out of nowhere, momentum shifts and in a couple of minutes i am down *4-5 serving to stay in the match, i somehow was able to regain my focus, another tie break, he throws in 2 DF and we are at set all, he had 3 bp at the start of the third and then lost it totally and in the ned he gave up easily...

Very intense match, and I am glad it was not me who melted down....

I play in a league of 16 players at my club, I am curenntly ranked 7th, after some bad matches at the start(Cause i was in bad shape), and more practise i picked my game up; the guy i defeated was ranked 3rd, so a nice and unexpected win...
Old 11-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #57
country flag Smasher

Smasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond repute

Just played the worst f*cking match ever, lost 6-0, 6-3. I've played several practise sets against the guy and never lost. And now this... Nothing worked...missed every second bh, all FHs were short and I served like a damn Coria. I did have about 6 BPs overall and he saved 4 of those with aces Pissed as hell, especially when this was the 1st round match in my uni's tournament...
Smasher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #58
country flag General Suburbia

General Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond repute

Played today for the first time in over a month. Even worse, I'm one of the people who lose form completely if they don't hit at least a couple hours a week. Even worse than that, I've been spending much of my free time this past month(s) smoking instead of exercising. Horrible condition. Anyways, decided to pick up the racket again and start a healthier lifestyle.

After a pretty shitty start to practice, I found myself hitting better than I thought. My forehand was initially horrible though; dumped it into the net countless times or dropped it extremely short, and I couldn't hit crosscourt to save my life. Anyways, I decided a practice match with a complete mug would help.

Just one set, as I wanted to take things a bit slow, and things were going well. I was up 4-0, serving. Then, out of nowhere, came double faults. Again and again. I couldn't kick or put any topspin into the ball at all, and every serve I hit was dumped into the net.

Not a horrible day, as my groundstrokes held up better than i thought they would, but I really need to work on that serve. I lost, btw. Coria would've been proud.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #59

I'd say I was mug-lite today. Hadn't hit for nearly two weeks so definitely had plenty of ring rust.

This guy was KILLING me. He was serving huge, not the biggest serve I've faced but it was just impossible to read. I'm a consistent returner usually but this guy made me look silly. I was returning nearly everything with a continental grip as there just wasn't enough time to switch grips, he even hit me in the body at one point - that's never happened before! His second serve had enormous kick, so I was having to chip it back each time which helped him get his huge forehand going to dominate the point. Only towards the end of the match I started running around my backhand to unleash the forehand on his second serve, I should have done this at the start - what an idiot!

He was destroying me in each rally, he had a massive topspin forehand and HUGE flat backhand which he just put everything into. I really had to use every ounce of craft in my game just to scrape a few points here and there, my short angled slices really paid dividends, and I was pretty much saved from complete humiliation because his volleys were some of the worst I've ever seen - he nearly always put them 10 feet long or into the bottom of the net.

There wasn't much in it with the score at the end, but I really didn't help myself with my terrible serving. It's completely fallen out of sync and I just couldn't get any power. I kept trying the body serve like an idiot, but it wasn't working. I was so scared of hitting to his forehand, but when I eventually did slice the serve out there it really worked well. Again, mug tactics from me there, I should have figured that out earlier than I did. I got so frustrated at one point when I lost serve from 40-0 up, I just went all out attack after that I played amazingly well If only I had played with that intensity from the start I might have sneaked it.

Oh well, at least I didn't completely embarrass myself. I'm playing pretty well for a guy who took a five year break from the game since junior level, only returned to tennis last year, so it's a work in progress.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #60
country flag Laba

Laba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond repute

Entered a round robin tournament on Sunday at Club, one set matches, in my first two I was comfortably up 4-1 and 4-0, before losing them 4-6 and 6-7. I'm more often than not a slow starter yet I came out playing solid yet just couldn't keep it together. Had both opponents reeling completely and stumbled to let them back in, and once they were, what I lose in confidence was gained in them twice over. Complete mug shit, never been so embarrassed and disappointed on the court.