Paris 2008: A runner up - but still with the best display for the eye - Page 20 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #286
country flag HeretiC

HeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paris 2008: A runner up - but still with the best display for the eye

No doubt about it. He did pretty much good and outplayed Tsonga in every department. Tactically was spot on, he was stealing the net from him, forcing the BH side, did not giving him much pace to work with(Jo can play very good as a counter-puncher, he was not that good on passing shots but at least lobs worked. He had upper hand in almost every rally, not allowing him to dictate the play much. He was going to break him few times if it wasn't that monster 1st serve. I think that he would have win this in straights if he did not made those 2 DFs and 2 UEs in the opening service game in the first set. There is no chance that Tsonga would have serve like that in the TB. I never though that Jo can disquise his service like he did until now, but maybe David was misinterpreting it to a disastrous level.
HeretiC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #287
country flag crazy_nanine

crazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paris 2008: A runner up - losing to a service machine...Out of Top 10 after 5 yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
I think, apart from the serve, that Tsonga is not a bad matchup either. He was winning a lot of baseline rallies and he could reliably hit into Tsonga's backhand and come in off it time and time again, and he was also moving him around pretty well. He will probably read it better in the future, and Tsonga surely doesn't serve that well that often also.
I agree with you on that point, but I think that another thing about Tsonga that would bother David is Tsonga's spectacular net play.
David can use the passing shots as a weapon against serve and volley players, but the guy is a wall at the net, you can hardly pass him!!
crazy_nanine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:05 AM   #288
country flag freeandlonely

freeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond reputefreeandlonely has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paris 2008: A runner up - but still with the best display for the eye

Thanks for all the analysis. But Tsonga's spectacular net play, or all the tactics, to some degree, all back up by his marvelous first serve tonight. He just takes advantage at the very start. That monster serve give him confidence to go for shots and even play some "no logical but it works free style shots " That's the way he love. Nalby played some classic shots, but made two poor service game and that's enough for Tsonga.
Thought his serve will drop at some point, and it did happen in some games, but again up whenever he faces BPs, which is a scary reality that hard to swallow. Although the last game is a pity when he made some 2nd serve, but it's already a bit late ,the momentum never really exchange at the day.

As Nalby said himself :
"I think he served better than me and that was pretty much the key of the match,"
"I think I didn't play bad, but I didn't play like the other days. I couldn't move like natural. I didn't have very good start, and he won the first set so easily, so fast. Then everything was hard for me."

Last edited by freeandlonely : 11-03-2008 at 04:18 AM.
freeandlonely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #289
country flag camilia

camilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paris 2008: A runner up - losing to a service machine...Out of Top 10 after 5 yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretiC View Post
To be honest, this loss is hurting me. It would have hurt less if he lost yesterday against Davydenko, because he played poorly in 2nd and 3rd set, but today, he only made few mistakes and got beaten solely by a services. He was totally misreading Tsonga serves always going into wrong direction. I am not happy with the homework him and his team did prior to this match.
I totally agree with you
but at least he did play well!
camilia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #290
country flag camilia

camilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond reputecamilia has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, I hope this David shows up from the begining of the season next year, it's unfair he's so talented
camilia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #291
country flag Minerva

Minerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond reputeMinerva has a reputation beyond repute

It seems like David considered not playing this final due to problems in both his feet. He had liquid in the sole of one foot and problems with one toe nail of the other. He stated that he could not move as well as in other matches.

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news...ten&type=story

(I'm sorry but it is in spanish.)
Minerva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote