Serve and Volley - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-01-2008, 02:27 AM   #31
country flag 10K Futures Qualifier
Athletic DNA

10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serve and Volley

I am a serve and vollyer. I am 13 and 5' 11". It's only good if you are taller than the person you are playing. What I would do

1st Serve
Gauge return (Can I put it away, or is it a good return?)
After hitting that back if you can put it away close in at net.
If you can't put it away, don't go volley.

2nd Serve
Don't serve and volley on second unless you have a great second serve.
10K Futures Qualifier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #32
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glab311 View Post
I am a serve and vollyer. I am 13 and 5' 11". It's only good if you are taller than the person you are playing. What I would do

1st Serve
Gauge return (Can I put it away, or is it a good return?)
After hitting that back if you can put it away close in at net.
If you can't put it away, don't go volley.

2nd Serve
Don't serve and volley on second unless you have a great second serve.
If you´re going to s&v, you have to get to the net quickly, you can´t stay back and wait to see what kind return your opponent hits. If you do that, you´ll be caught in "no-mans land".
You either go or you don´t. Let me spell this out: you can´t be just a little pregnant.

Also, why should you be taller than your opponent to s&v? You´re the one who has to reach those volleys. If you´re too short and can´t reach them you get passed, right? You lose those points even if you´re playing against a midget.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 PM   #33
Athletic DNA

10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute10K Futures Qualifier has a reputation beyond repute

If you go strait to the net and are playing some that is good they will kill you right up the line almost 75% of the time.

When someone like Montanes or Rochus S&V's every time they lose. But Karlovic wins every time, trust me height is good.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:12 AM   #34
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you go strait to the net and are playing some that is good they will kill you right up the line almost 75% of the time.

When someone like Montanes or Rochus S&V's every time they lose. But Karlovic wins every time, trust me height is good.
Sorry Glab, Dougie is right. You have to make up your mind before you hit the serve whether you intend to serve and volley. You may get away with 'gauging the return' at the level you're playing at at the moment, but once you get older those returns will be coming at you at twice the pace, so this tactic simply won't work and you'll be a sitting duck. I hope you take this advice, as it's not good to pick up bad habits and it's hard to drop them whilst you're in the development stage in the juniors.

Rochus won't serve and volley because his serve isn't effective enough, Karlovic will every time because he has a huge serve due to his size. Sounds to me like you have a good serve too, and tall for your age, so serve and volley will work well for you, and other juniors will be surprised by your tactic which can only be a good thing. Remember as you're coming in, take lots of small steps, then that moment of 'gauging the return' should be the point at which you split step and then anticipate the next shot. Commitment is the word you need to remember though. Commit to the serve and volley and even if you get passed, keep confidence in the tactic and that your opponent can't keep coming up with those shots every time.

Obviously if you find yourself a set and a break down might be time to change up the tactics and stay back, but until then, have faith in your aggressive style
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:52 AM   #35
Athletic DNA

Yes, I do agree now that I think about it, you should probably go right in and commit, but in the fast pace of Juniors like me trying to go to the pros, we are not pushers. I was ranked 17 in Texas at one time, so don't worry about me getting away the the guage of the return, because sometimes I don't. But overall yes you are correct in a way...
Old 10-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #36
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, I do agree now that I think about it, you should probably go right in and commit, but in the fast pace of Juniors like me trying to go to the pros, we are not pushers. I was ranked 17 in Texas at one time, so don't worry about me getting away the the guage of the return, because sometimes I don't. But overall yes you are correct in a way...
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to be disrespective of your standard. I was just pointing out it's best to learn good technique, movement and court positioning at a young age even if it doesn't feel comfortable at first. Keep practicing and you'll have it mastered ready for the senior transition.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #37
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

I think attacking the net is all about the mindset. You must set the strategy in your head and don't hesitate. Of course you're gonna get passed. It's obvious. As with just about every tennis strategy, it doesn't work 100% of the time. The point is to already decide what you're gonna do before you start the point. Go for it, believe you can do it and that it will work. Sometimes just that will win you the point.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #38
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Pat Cash was an excellent Serve volley player at 5'11"... super quick pre achilles injury.... ouch...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 AM   #39
country flag DartMarcus

DartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond reputeDartMarcus has a reputation beyond repute

Bring back Serve and Volley mate!

Brian Baker - Steve Johnson - Lleyton Hewitt - Robby Ginepri - Carlos Berlocq - Tommy Haas - Ivo Karlovic - Richard Gasquet - Kevin Anderson - David Ferrer - Michael Russell - Fabio Fognini - Michael Llodra - Oliver Rochus - Dustin Brown - Somdev Devvarman
DartMarcus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote