ATP Champions Race to Shanghai 2008 - Page 15 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #211
country flag alfonsojose
CRY BA**

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATP Champions Race to Shanghai 2008

Novak is so close to JesusFed

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #212
country flag groundstroke

groundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond repute

Gasquet isn't even in the top 25, what a waste of talent to not see him in there..
groundstroke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #213
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundstroke View Post
Gasquet isn't even in the top 25, what a waste of talent to not see him in there..
Well, you can see him now...but not in the top 25, as you say. I've extended top 25 to top 40, given that we are now entering the business end of the Race to Shanghai.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #214
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

Simon's Bucharest title defence pushes him up 3 places in the standings to #12, and 48 pts off the #8 placed Blake, who currently occupies the all-important last seat to Shanghai. As you can expect, there were no significant movers this week, although Moya and Acasuso have each climbed a few places (and into the top 40), courtesy of their strong runs.

With Davis Cup on the agenda this week (and Bangalore cancelled), the Race to Shanghai will take a week's break.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:11 AM   #215
country flag FedAce

FedAce has a reputation beyond reputeFedAce has a reputation beyond reputeFedAce has a reputation beyond reputeFedAce has a reputation beyond reputeFedAce has a reputation beyond reputeFedAce has a reputation beyond reputeFedAce has a reputation beyond reputeFedAce has a reputation beyond reputeFedAce has a reputation beyond reputeFedAce has a reputation beyond reputeFedAce has a reputation beyond repute

I am Really Cheering for DelPotro to make it. His game is so exciting, it will be much more fun with him in the mix. Lets hope Davydenko and Ferrer won't make it. They will put us to sleep as usual....zzzzzzzzzzzz.
FedAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #216
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Okay, we've entered the business end of the season...the all-important last 6 weeks, featuring the frantic scramble for the last 4 official tickets to Shanghai.

There are only two Masters events left (Madrid and Paris), in which ANY player can make up significant ground...otherwise, it is down to what the guys can do in their remaining optionals events...in which case, their "best 5th" result (recorded in brackets, 5th column) takes on increased significance, as each day goes by...

Just to make a comparison to last year...in 2007, we saw probably the most exciting final week (TMS Paris) of any Race to the Tennis Masters Cup (since its inception, in 2000), with the player ranked as low as #25 (Nalbandian) having a mathematical shot at qualifying for the all-important 8th place. More importantly, just 14 pts (!) separated Haas in 8th, from Ljubicic in 15th place. This year, the situation looks like it could be a lot different, with Ferrer, Roddick, Blake, (Wawrinka), Del Potro, Gonzalez and Simon likely to lead a fierce fight (expected to be amongst themselves, really) for the final tickets, leaving everyone else in their wake.

Last edited by El Burro : 09-25-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #217
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I've updated the standings to reflect the QF stages of Bangkok and Beijing.

Further to my immediate post, above, you'll notice that Roddick and Soderling are the only QF'ists yet to add any points to their rankings totals this week, but each will be able to (Soderling +7 pts, Roddick +3 pts) if they can make it through to the SF.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:01 AM   #218
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

Roger still has a chance to over Rafa at the end of year

Borna Coric will be No 1 by May 2016
Nick Kyrgios will be No 1 by Jan 2016
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:41 AM   #219
country flag Blarghman

Blarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcempire View Post
Roger still has a chance to over Rafa at the end of year
Mathematically, yes, but practically it would be extremely unlikely.

Federer is 344 points down. Winning Madrid, Paris and Shanghai (undefeated), nets him 350 points. Basel and Stockholm would be another 90 (I think).

So with a magic, crazy 2004 Federer style run, he could get 96 ahead before counting any points Nadal earns. Now, Nadal will only play Madrid, Paris and Shanghai, so it is possible that he might not earn 96 points from those three if he's out before semifinals at all three.

But again, practically, one loss will end Fed's hopes, and two or three losses the rest of the year for Fed will mathematically eliminate him, though this cannot happen until Madrid.

I suspect Federer will focus more on preparing for Australia than for reclaiming #1, given his long odds.
Blarghman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #220
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarghman View Post
Mathematically, yes, but practically it would be extremely unlikely.

Federer is 344 points down. Winning Madrid, Paris and Shanghai (undefeated), nets him 350 points. Basel and Stockholm would be another 90 (I think).

So with a magic, crazy 2004 Federer style run, he could get 96 ahead before counting any points Nadal earns. Now, Nadal will only play Madrid, Paris and Shanghai, so it is possible that he might not earn 96 points from those three if he's out before semifinals at all three.

But again, practically, one loss will end Fed's hopes, and two or three losses the rest of the year for Fed will mathematically eliminate him, though this cannot happen until Madrid.

I suspect Federer will focus more on preparing for Australia than for reclaiming #1, given his long odds.
Unless they have changed the points weighting, it should be another 95 (50 + 45).

Anyway, you're right in saying that Federer can barely afford to lose...and Nadal could still freeze him out anyway.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #221
country flag Blarghman

Blarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond reputeBlarghman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Burro View Post
Unless they have changed the points weighting, it should be another 95 (50 + 45).
Yeah, my mistake, stevegtennis had Stockholm as 200 entry points for the win, but the ATP says it's 225, and that makes more sense given the prize money.
Blarghman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #222
country flag Thanos

Thanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Burro View Post

Anyway, you're right in saying that Federer can barely afford to lose...and Nadal could still freeze him out anyway.
If roger does lose, novak ready to pounce. he still has a chance of taking number 2 from roger.

This probably been the most exciting atp race for a long time. The still alot of players within a chance in getting into the tennis master cup.
Thanos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #223
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Now the Race starts to get a little more interesting...in reaching the final, Roddick adds a handful of points to his total (enough for him to leapfrog Ferrer, into #6), but, more importantly, he improves his "best 5th" countable points to 20 (from 12, at the start of the week). Only Davydenko has a stronger set of optionals results ("best 5th" is 22 pts) and you'll notice that Ferrer and Blake are also on a "best 5th" of 15pts, respectively...meaning that each of the guys currently in line for the last 4 Shanghai tickets have little to gain from 3 of the remaining 5 weeks of the regular season (barring runner-up/title finishes). Immediate beneficiaries look to be the tightly-knit group of Wawrinka, Del Potro and Gonzalez, who would each be rewarded handsomely for any notable performance(s)...
Old 09-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #224
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacked82 View Post
If roger does lose, novak ready to pounce. he still has a chance of taking number 2 from roger.

This probably been the most exciting atp race for a long time. The still alot of players within a chance in getting into the tennis master cup.
At the moment, a good number of players still stand a mathematical chance, yes, but I think the final last couple of weeks of the regular season won't be anywhere near as exciting as they were last year...I reckon only a handful of guys will have a realistic shot at "stealing" the last ticket(s) (quite possibly only Wawrinka, Del Potro and Gonzalez being within good enough reach), whereas, a few days ago, I highlighted the minimal points difference (14?) between Haas (at #8) and Ljubicic (at #15/16), going into the final week of the 2007 season. The number of possible "combinations" arising out of a single result were quite mind-blowing.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #225
country flag Thanos

Thanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond repute

tsonga will have 250 points and be number 14 on monday.
Thanos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote