Shots you DON'T have in your arsenal - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shots you DON'T have in your arsenal

Yeah, a bit of a negative thread I know, but perhaps we can help each other out with our weaknesses.

I'm very happy with my game all round at the moment. Serve's working, I'm rallying well and the volleys are being put away. I'm on a nice winning streak too so confidence is high.

One shot I'm having real difficulty with though, and to be honest, I always have, is the short ball to my backhand side say landing around the service line. I have a tactic of hitting the deep slice down the line or the short, knifed slice cross court and coming in off it. I really wish I could just open up the shoulders and put those balls away - but if I do try they are tending to go 10 feet long or into the bottom of the net. Very frustrating! Bizarrely, if I'm put on the back foot I hit a great running backhand passing shot so I think it really must be a mental thing of the short ball being too much of an "easy" shot that I have too much time to think about it and then the doubts creep in and cause hesitation.

Anyone else have any weaknesses? If so, how do you cope under pressure when the opponent is attempting to exploit it?
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shots you DON'T have in your arsenal

There is sooooo much missing in my game. But on my Christmas List this year, I'd put a kick serve. A bit more topspin on my forehand would be nice, too, Santa.

Don't know that my opponents can really take advantage of those particular weaknesses...I just can't take advantage of them.

As for your difficulty, Tidus, I think we all have it. Being able to roll over the top of a short ball, particularly to the backhand side, is difficult. That's one of the reasons I love to hit that shot to an opponent. For a change of pace, instead of going deep down the line with it, try a short (almost/half-ass drop shot)...still down the line...and follow it in. Because most opponents are expecting one of the two choices you usually use, you may catch them off guard. Then, when/if they catch on, and follow their own shot in...blast one past them DTL again.

And don't worry about the "negative" aura of the question. It's a good one!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
country flag ForgetFan

ForgetFan has a reputation beyond reputeForgetFan has a reputation beyond reputeForgetFan has a reputation beyond reputeForgetFan has a reputation beyond reputeForgetFan has a reputation beyond reputeForgetFan has a reputation beyond reputeForgetFan has a reputation beyond reputeForgetFan has a reputation beyond reputeForgetFan has a reputation beyond reputeForgetFan has a reputation beyond reputeForgetFan has a reputation beyond repute

Kick serve especially on the ad side. Consistency for kick. I can do it once, then miss the nex three or four .
Short balls on bh, the same as angle queen. The same problem.
ForgetFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:48 AM   #4
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

the through the legs shot
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #5

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar View Post
the through the legs shot

Same here, I've tried it a few times but it always ends up in the net. On the other hand, I've mastered the behind the back shot. I remember leaving one first teamer in shock when I returned his smash from behind my back for a lob winner!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Lobs in general. Can't do it.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #7
country flag Montego

Montego has a reputation beyond reputeMontego has a reputation beyond reputeMontego has a reputation beyond reputeMontego has a reputation beyond reputeMontego has a reputation beyond reputeMontego has a reputation beyond reputeMontego has a reputation beyond reputeMontego has a reputation beyond reputeMontego has a reputation beyond reputeMontego has a reputation beyond reputeMontego has a reputation beyond repute

Backhand. I don't know, I have some mental block when it comes to backhand. I used to play good, topspin two-hander, but something just stopped in a moment and I am using slice 95% of the time. You can call me Feliciano Lopez or Fernando Gonzalez of amateur tennis. I don't know why it happened, it happened at once when I had 2 months break. I just stopped playing topspin backhand and I can't get back to it.
Montego is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
country flag ogi

ogi is on a distinguished road

my drop shots always suck, they end up near the T line hahaha
ogi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:06 AM   #9
country flag sheeter

sheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond repute

The overhead.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeter View Post
The overhead.
Argh, we should probably start a whole different thread on this one. I have trouble with it too.

It's so ironic, the shot the pros make look so easy for the most part is arguably the most difficult shot to master for an amateur. I think most decent amateurs have more than enough power to hit an effective overhead, it's just in the timing that it all goes wrong. The ball comes down at completely different speeds and angles depending on so many factors, I see so many 'easy' smashes shanked into the back fence.

I have much better technique for my backhand smash than forehand, so for the conventional overhead I've taken to adding more slice to control it and letting the ball bounce in some situations to make life easier.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Drop shot.

It's woeful. I seem to think it needs to be perfect, and every time dump it in the net. I tell myself I should at least give myself a chance and even if I hit it longer than planned my opponent still at least has to do something - and I still dump it in the net :retard:
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #12
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

I also don't like to attack off the backhand. When I have time I always run around and rip a forehand.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:26 AM   #13
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
I also don't like to attack off the backhand. When I have time I always run around and rip a forehand.
+1

But Gu, doesnt that sound a bit like Nadull?
Old 09-18-2008, 04:49 AM   #14
country flag NoFroz

NoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond reputeNoFroz has a reputation beyond repute

Lately I'm hitting the FH with too much topspin ,my BH is being more dangerous
NoFroz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
+1

But Gu, doesnt that sound a bit like Nadull?
Why? Many players run around their backhands. Including Federer.