What do we think of this year? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do we think of this year?

Now that the US Open has finished for David, what is everyone's opinions on how this year has turned out?

I think in the titles thread that I said I was more interested to see how he goes in the Grand Slams rather than how many titles he wins, and he has performed miserably in all four Slams. Not only that he only posted R3, R2, R1 and R3 results, but he was comfortably beaten in straight sets against Ferrero, Dancevic and Monfils and lost the last three sets against Chardy convincingly also. The Dancevic and Monfils matches were embarrassing to watch, as was the match against Djokovic in Queen's and the match against Ferrero also belongs in the same category where he put in a very lacklustre performance, with all of these kinds of performances occurring in the big events.

But if you have a look closely at the matches that he played there, it's even more frustrating to watch those matches. In the Dancevic and Monfils matches, he showed a lack of fighting spirit to try and get back into the match, something that we are not so accustomed to seeing. In those matches, it looked like his focus was no longer in the match anymore and that he wasn't attempting anything with conviction, although these were two entirely different matches in the manner of how he lost.

In the match against Dancevic, he was flat the whole match and spent most of the match playing the match without any visible tactics. It looked as if his mind was elsewhere and that he was just going through the motions. The Monfils match has been covered in detail in the tournament thread but to put it briefly, from the part of the match I saw, that was some of the silliest tennis I've ever seen, and maybe even more concerning is the timing of when it occurred, when the match was still evenly poised. He must have been absolutely desperate to get off the court with the tactics that he employed there, with the never-ending dropshots. He explained later that he was very fatigued, which while was clearly visible, normally a person that is fatigued would shorten the points but still continue with trying to play a somewhat normal game, like Melzer did against Murray the other day. In hindsight, even the Chardy match seems to follow the same mould in that if he doesn't feel like he can win, whether due to physical problems or fatigue or just that he isn't playing well enough, he puts in a very minimal effort. While watching his match yesterday, I was wondering how much he actually enjoys playing if he puts in a performance like this in a GS event, then again these things are hard to tell.

Compare that to last year's slump where he was involved in exciting matches against Grosjean, Monfils, Davydenko and Ferrer. Sure, the quality of some of those matches were not great but they were still entertaining to follow.

This is the same player that has come back from two sets to love down six times in his career and one thing I like about watching him play apart from his game is his ability to not be too affected by his own poor play and come from behind in his matches. It was nice to have the feeling that maybe he could turn any match around but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. It was only just earlier this year when he won Buenos Aires scraping through numerous long three set matches and got to the Indian Wells QFs coming from behind in his first two matches and it was a pretty good effort against Fish also.

For all the talk of him being unmotivated all the time, I always thought of him as one of those players that liked competing, especially in the big events but maybe not so much the training side of things. Take for example, the French Open last year (in 2007) where he was very out-of-shape but in the matches against Monfils and Davydenko showed a lot of heart in those matches. Yet he still keeps referring to his ambitious goals this season and the motivation he has, but then again he has always talked big like that, so I don't really pay attention to that much.

I guess the point is because it's obviously not in his personality to just get down on himself and drop his level when he is losing, or at least he doesn't do it in matches that are important to him. Is it that he no longer has the same determination to win or does he have no belief in his physical fitness to come back in a match? Probably both, but it's not necessary to feel like you have a chance of winning to put in a decent performance. I feel like in some of the performances he has shown, not only has he not given any respect to the crowd that paid good money to watch his matches but also that he doesn't seem to show much self-pride. If it was me, I would completely embarrassed to put in a performance and effort like that.

I might type up a post tomorrow/later today more about his overall year that is more balanced.

Last edited by krystlel : 09-07-2008 at 11:32 AM.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What we do think of this year?

Gosh I didn't mean to write such an awfully long piece. I started to bore myself writing it when I got halfway through but it appears that I am completely incapable of being concise.

Analysis of the 2008 season
The 2008 season was one that started with huge expectations for Nalbandian following his back-to-back Masters Series titles, which at the time were arguably the biggest of his career, or at least most impressive. Importantly, following his victories, it seemed like he had shown improvements in his game and mental attitude both in his matches and his approach to his tennis. There were numerous reports of the off-season work that he had put in to try and achieve his goals and win that elusive slam, which were not only words but described specifically by him and his team as if he had a plan.

Frustratingly, David was struck with injury again in the lead-up to the Australian Open at Kooyong suffering from back spasms, and subsequently his preparation to the event was hampered. Surprisingly when he turned up at the Australian Open, it didn't look like he had put in that off-season work that was mentioned, leading me to wonder why he wouldn't want to maximise his chances of doing well when he was playing some of his best tennis, then I decided that it's better off from now on not to try and figure out why he does what he does, because there probably is no reason. It is important to emphasise that none of his actions here negatively affected my opinion of him, it is more just of an analysis. It is only what has happened that was referred to in my previous post that has.

His Australian Open campaign was relatively short-lived, recording his earliest loss at the Australian Open since 2002. David lost to Juan Carlos Ferrero 6-1 6-2 6-3, recording a statistic of 0 winners, 13 unforced errors until the end of the second set. His performance was lacking in energy and he seemed to show a strange lack of confidence, but he did at least raise his level in the third set but Ferrero was playing at too high of a level to make a comeback. In hindsight, this match belongs to a similar category to some of his other dud matches, but it didn't really go along with the trend of the matches that he played after that. At the time, there was a feeling that he simply had a bad day, a very bad one at that and the lack of match practice obviously didn't help, especially after a long off-season of inactivity.

He then went on to play the Davis Cup match against Great Britain. Not much to comment on here. It was a routine tie as expected. Buenos Aires was where his season first kicked off, where he won the title winning numerous closely contested matches and it was reported that while the level of tennis he displayed was average, he showed very good fighting spirit and mental strength to prevail in all of those matches. He then travelled to Acapulco to play a second consecutive optional event the following week. I was able to watch most of his matches that week and I thought he showed a good consistent level of play, showing promise that maybe he would be able to maintain some consistency of results this season. He had a slow start against Almagro and was outplayed in the final, but overall it was a very positive few weeks for him.

Well fought matches and good mental strength were a consistent theme for him in this part of the season as he often dug himself out of losing situations and was able to back up his effort with his ability to play the big points well, as evidenced by the impressive tie-breaker record that he had built up in this early part of the season. This was no different in Indian Wells where in his first two rounds, both Gulbis and Stepanek served for the match but on both occasions, he was able to come back and win the match in a third set TB. He eventually lost to Fish in a match where he showed questionable tactics, however his determination to win the match was not in doubt. There was a feeling in this match that he was outplayed, but he still got himself in a position to serve out the match, but Fish played a better third set TB and match overall in the end. His run in Miami was short-lived bowing out first round to Malisse, a match that was not televised. Considering the consistent set of results that he had posted prior to this loss, there was no need to think much of this loss and the focus soon reverted back to Davis Cup.

For me, his performances that were to come, in Davis Cup against Sweden and in Monte Carlo were the highlights of the season and the most enjoyable for me to watch, both for different reasons. His performance against Soderling was an emotional rollercoaster where he was pushed to the limit to 9-7 in the fifth set, and one where he showed tremendous determination in trying to win each and every point, and will go down as one of the most memorable matches in his career. His post-match reaction where he broke down in tears was reflective of the huge emotional effort that he put into this match.

In Monte Carlo was where David played his best tennis of the season. All three of his matches, against Rochus, Robredo and Federer were a joy to watch. I was also impressed with his tactical mind as he dismantled both Rochus and Robredo in a different fashion, employing different tactics in both of those matches. He was on fire against Robredo and as a result, it was an absolute beatdown. He carried on that form in the first set against Federer and it was an incredibly high standard of tennis from both players. In the second and third sets, his level dropped off a bit but it was a good performance overall. While David had showed some impressive form, there was a feeling that it was still very early in the clay season, so no expectations yet at this stage.

Not much needs to be said about his run in Barcelona and Rome, where not much happened out of the ordinary. I did not watch his match against Wawrinka nor did anyone else, and he lost to Almagro in Rome who had posted consistently impressive results on clay this year and had beaten him earlier in Acapulco. His form against Almagro was average and I remember in that match that he saved something like 9 match points all with good purposeful play but was not consistent. He then skipped Hamburg which was a move that had already been planned from before the start of the claycourt season, although it was later reported also that he had some sort of injury and that he had been struggling with some niggling injuries since the Davis Cup QF.

After a couple of weeks off, he returned in the French Open. In the early parts of the tournament (although it was short-lived), from what I saw and based on reports, it looked like he was playing confidently with sufficient energy and adopting an aggressive game coming to the net quite often although he may not necessarily have been executing it well at times. I thought that was interesting because that was not how he played earlier in the clay season, but I don't think I watched anywhere near enough to accurately comment on that. After being up two sets to love against Chardy in the second round, he started to show signs of a leg injury which hampered his movement. It was difficult in this match to determine what effort he sufficiently could have put in because of the injury, but at times he just stood there on shots that he could have reached only by sticking his racquet out. At the time, I decided not to think much of this match but as said earlier, in hindsight, this match shows some of the same things that he showed in his later matches, so in some ways this match was some sort of turning point.

Following his French Open loss, he went back to Argentina to recuperate his injuries and prepare for Wimbledon. Expectations were low at this point and I did not believe that he would be able to physically last in a five set match given his injury. He had decided to play on with the injury at Queen's and Wimbledon, so with that in mind, if he decides to take to court knowing that he is in a certain condition, he should be expected to put in a half-decent performance, unless if it gets noticeably worse during the match of course. He did surprisingly well at Queen's actually reaching the semi-finals posting wins against Troicki, Mahut and Gasquet playing some solid tennis. Unfortunately his efforts that week were overshadowed by his performance or lack thereof against Djokovic where he was thrashed 6-1 6-0. Following this match, Djokovic looked puzzled and embarrassed to have won the match in such a manner and said that he didn't know who was on the court on there today. In this case, it did not look that injuries could sufficiently explain his performance as he was most definitely capable of putting in a much better performance than that.

It was the same old story at Wimbledon, except the fact that it happened in the first round match in a Grand Slam, reflected much worse on him, but also because it was the second consecutive ATP match where he put in a performance like this. There was a distinct lack of energy in his match against Dancevic, a lack of focus, a lack of purpose in his shot selections and he was consistently framing shots on the forehand side. His performance was absolutely terrible to say the least. He was not going for anything on his shots but still timing it awfully and missing by large margins. What I did not understand in this match was the lack of belief and confidence in a match like this against a player of the calibre of Dancevic where he surely should believe that if he can raise his standard of play at least to some extent that he can be competitive in this match. Also, it was not like had posted extremely poor results prior to the event that would result in a lack of confidence. We already knew he was injured prior to the event and his movement did not seem to be hampered enough to explain away his poor performance in this match. It was believed that if anything that the injuries affected him mentally more than anything else.

Following this match, David took some extended time off to sufficiently recover from his injuries instead of trying to play through it like he did earlier. He returned at the Olympics, an event which he had mentioned several times as one of his huge priorities, and one that he was highly motivated to do well in. He won two routine matches as he was expected to against the Chinese wildcard (the name escapes me now) and Massu before going down to Monfils. Considering his performances in the last few matches that I saw him play, I took his performance against Monfils as a positive where he didn't play badly, played purposefully and seemed suitably engaged in the match. But more importantly, he commented after the match that he remained pain-free during the tournament which was a breakthrough for him.

Onto the US Open where he routinely won his first two matches as he was expected to before his first test where he played against Monfils again. I have written about this enough in the previous post so no need to go through it again, but it showed a trend in his matches where he doesn't try to grind it out until the end and loses focus instead. In this case, the manner in which he lost it was more dramatic and embarrassing as he was hitting dropshots all over the place as if it were a legitimate tactic and suitably he got burnt every single time.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Got to love the detail and comprehension krystel. As for the question, well it's an interesting one and will try and come up with an answer during the week.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
country flag krystlel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
Got to love the detail and comprehension krystel. As for the question, well it's an interesting one and will try and come up with an answer during the week.
Thanks. I think it is safe to say that this is a better article than the ones that the press come up with.

Definitely there will be a lot to watch out for in the upcoming Davis Cup tie and some questions will be answered about his frame of mind I think.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I said this at the start of the year, that the DC is his main focus. At the same time there could be a very interesting situation where he could be the #2 player come the final, as long as del Potro stays fit.

This is a good and a bad thing. Argentina need him for DC success and he loves this environment, at the same time the press hype could be shift elsewhere.

He is what he is and expect the unexpected. I mean nobody expected the Madrid/Paris run last year, as for his body, it doesn't help when he isn't in the greatest shape, but if fit enough to play, then take the consequences.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
country flag gooner88

gooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic pieces krystlel. I've been really busy over the last few months so I haven't watched David play since that pathetic showing at Wimbledon but from time to time I've come here to read people's views of his performances.
I think at this point his year has to be viewed as a disappointment. After winning the two TMS events he was back in the Top 10 and had alot of momentum. Instead of building on that he has let it wilt away. As usual he has had problems with injuries, but with a high ranking he should have made more of an impact in the bigger events. It's disappointing not to see him making more of an impact in the slams. The days of seeing him in those epic 5 setters deep in a slam seem a long time ago now. At this moment it looks like his primary aim is the Davis Cup, fair enough its a big deal for his country and they've never won it before.
He's such an unpredictable player and when he's fit and on form can beat anyone and go really far in tournaments so I'm not writing him off. However there are alot of younger players who are only going to get better and David himself isn't getting any younger. So many questions and as always time will reveal all.
gooner88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
country flag HeretiC

HeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond reputeHeretiC has a reputation beyond repute

Great analysis krystlel

What do I think of this year? It is been kinda of a disappointing year for me. I am not going to write about his particular matches, what really scared me this year comparing to last year was the following:
Last year he had bad matches and poor results but what was evidently was that he was trying, putting a great efforts and fought in matches. The only thing that was lacking in his game was a bit of low confidence which made his risky game not paying off. The game, the shots, the planning was all there, he was missing the lines by a low margin. There was just a matter of time with some changes in his camp for him to regain his confidence and make a comeback.
This year is a different situation, the shots are there, the game is there, he is even very precise in his shot, but the problem is that he can't focus and keep his concentration long enough. Looks like he already gave up in his mind and doesn't care enough to put more effort and fight even until the end of a point. What scares me most is that he looks like he doesn't enjoy in the game enough. So I am afraid that this years poor results were as a result of a lack of motivation (of course that injuries had impact too) and that lack of motivation might be devastating for a player like him. He doesn't have the same problem in DC and therefore he is still delivering there. Unfortunately, I think he already made a peace with his mind that he wont win a slam.
HeretiC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
country flag krystlel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretiC View Post
Great analysis krystlel

What do I think of this year? It is been kinda of a disappointing year for me. I am not going to write about his particular matches, what really scared me this year comparing to last year was the following:
Last year he had bad matches and poor results but what was evidently was that he was trying, putting a great efforts and fought in matches. The only thing that was lacking in his game was a bit of low confidence which made his risky game not paying off. The game, the shots, the planning was all there, he was missing the lines by a low margin. There was just a matter of time with some changes in his camp for him to regain his confidence and make a comeback.
This year is a different situation, the shots are there, the game is there, he is even very precise in his shot, but the problem is that he can't focus and keep his concentration long enough. Looks like he already gave up in his mind and doesn't care enough to put more effort and fight even until the end of a point. What scares me most is that he looks like he doesn't enjoy in the game enough. So I am afraid that this years poor results were as a result of a lack of motivation (of course that injuries had impact too) and that lack of motivation might be devastating for a player like him. He doesn't have the same problem in DC and therefore he is still delivering there. Unfortunately, I think he already made a peace with his mind that he wont win a slam.
You've summed it up well. These last two years would both be considered a slump, but they are very different. I have the exact same feelings of last year, he was just lacking in confidence and he didn't play the big points well, blew a lot of opportunities but the effort was still there. His tennis this year in comparison is a lot better in terms of his ball striking and the confidence to go for his shots, but the other aspects as already mentioned are not there.

Last edited by krystlel : 09-07-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
country flag Joyce_23

Joyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretiC View Post
You summed it up pretty well. It's kinda eery to see him play with this total lack of confidence that seems to come more from his mind then what he can or can not do with his racket. He seems to have given up hope on ever winning a slam but in all honesty so have I. Tenniswise I still believe he has the game to win a slam but I don't believe he has the inner motavation to stay focused to two weeks. It's sad to see someone with as much potention as he has give it all up like that but I guess that is David. We could all be wrong and celebrate him winning a slam next year. One thing I learned this year is to stop trying to figure that man out. David is simple unreadable, even to himself I think and as frustrating as that may be at times it's also the same reason why I like him so much. At least he stands out from the rest of them.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid it will never truely begin.
Joyce_23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #10
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do we think of this year?

Haven't been here in a while but have been keeping track of David's play. This year - disappointing but not unexpected. Guess nothing is unexpected with him. I think the nagging injuries/pain take a big toll on a player. Even if you are pain free, the time missed to recover is often longer than just the time it takes to be able to hit your shots again. THe mental concentration and focus goes and sometimes that takes longer to recover than the physical _ especially for someone like David who has many distractions. Then there is the whole confidence thing that can erode quickly when one doesn't play many matches. It takes a truly motivated player to bounce back to top shape time and time again and we all know that David has more in his life than tennis.

I think I've given up trying to figure him out and have learned to just enjoy those wonderfual matches when he has it all together and write off the rest as - "that's just David".

As for a slam - i doubt it will happen, there are way too many players who are more motivated and in better physical shape than he, and he's not getting any younger. There are not a whole lot with more talent but as evidenced by his results (and those of my other favorite player) talent alone doesn't do it. NOw having written him off for a slam, he'll probably win one.

I SOOOO hope they can win the Davis Cup this year - I guess for David that would make it one of his best seasons ever. Let's hope!
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote