Summer hardcourt season 2008 - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #136
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer hardcourt season 2008

For a fraction of second I thought it was another story about Gaël's lovelife when I saw the headline! And then: "what the heck, it's Manicom again".
I agree with every point of your post - incl. the last one, but you understand I had to share my great find in Le Parisien.

Gaël is quite clearly the favourite for the bookmakers, I thought the odds would be even.
I'm getting nervous, I really don't like Fish, I don't want Gaël to lose to him. :-/

Allez Gaëlou, win that one to have another chance to get your night session.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #137
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

His reaction:
Gaël Monfils (n°32, éliminé en 8e de finale par Mardy Fish) : «C'était un jour sans. Je suis passé un peu à travers, ça arrive. Je n'ai pas été bon, du début à la fin. Déjà à l'échauffement je n'avais pas de bonnes sensations, je tapais moins bien dans la balle que d'habitude. Il y avait du vent et je n'ai pas réussi à m'adapter aux conditions. Je n'ai pas fait un grand match, j'ai fait un non-match, je n'ai pas été terrible. Je n'ai pas su varier mon jeu, changer, trouver le truc qui aurait pu l'embêter. Ce n'est pas l'enjeu, je ne sentais pas la balle très bien, je n'ai pas réussi à bien jouer, tout simplement. Je ne suis pas satisfait de mes prestations ici, je ne voulais finir pas en 8e de finale, je ne m'entraîne pas pour ça. Dans l'ensemble, ça n'a pas été très brillant. Je ne suis pas content, forcément. OK, j'ai gagné trois matches, mais je suis quand même déçu par ma performance. (A propos de l'intervention du soigneur) Depuis deux ou trois jours, j'avais une gêne au genou, j'avais un peu mal. Je lui ai demandé de le compresser (avec une bande).» (AFP)
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2...nfils_Dev.html

It was a bad day, it happens. He means he was poor, from the beginning to the end. He already had a bad feeling during the warmup, he wasn't feeling his shots, it was windy, he couldn't adjust. It was a non-match. He wasn't able to vary his game, to annoy Fish. It had nothing to do with the importance of the match, he simply didn't manage to play well. He's not satisfied with his performance at the US Open, he didn't want to lose in the 4th round, that's not why he is training.
Asked about his knee, he says he's been feeling a little pain in the knee for 2-3 days, so he asked the trainer to compress it a little bit. (But it doesn't sound serious and he doesn't mention that as an excuse).
Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #138
country flag Truc

I don't get all the Fish worshipping in GM, it was indeed a non-match from Gaël in the last 2 sets, of course Fish was looking in control.
I still don't get why he wasn't able to put up a better fight, though. He usually doesn't mind playing poorly, that's one of his qualities, he will keep trying even when he's playing ugly tennis. Especially during big events like here. It was almost a tank, at a Slam, against a beatable opponent, it was pretty shocking.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #139
country flag Truc

His audio interview also is finally up, there are a few more details:
http://www.fft.fr/usopen/2008/?id=4027
He clearly says the knee was not an issue. He just asked the physio to compress it a little bit for a few games in order to feel better, but it was not the reason for his bad match.
Nothing was really working in his game, FH, BH, serve...
The journalist tells him that everybody was surprised because he usually delivers in Slams and that he looks a bit surprised himself by his bad performance. He agrees and says he will have to draw a lot of conclusions from this non-match. It had nothing to do with the fact he was playing for the first time in that big stadion in his opinion.
And when he's asked about Fish, he doesn't give him so much credit, but rightly so imo. He says Fish played a solid match, nothing more. Gaël's shots were so short, he was not serving well, he was gifting him so many points and let him completely dominate.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #140
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute

He was clearly lacking some fighting spirit, but he was also unbelievably slow. I mean it's impossible for a retriever like Gaęl to beat a guy like Fish who comes every point to the net without being really fast to chase every damn ball.
He also needed to be awefully more accurate and powerful on his passing shot and his serve to make Fish volley in the worst condition possible.

Overall it's a little disappointing to see Gaęl lose every match when they become tighter. It was exactly the same story with Djokovic at Beijing or against Federer at RG. He has the potential to win that kind of match, but he just lack a little something, maybe more fighting spirit or a better mastering of his shot and of his nerve.
MacArthur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:24 AM   #141
country flag Truc

This time I don't agree. I don't get why you're mentioning the Fed and Djoko matches. Of course he will lose these close matches against players who are currently so much better players than him. He did a great job to keep it that close against them with all the shortcomings in his game and didn't really fail or disappoint.
He can choke when it gets tight, he has in the past, but it was not so much his problem this year imo. I thought he was pretty strong mentally when he had to close a set although he wasn't playing so well. Also in the first rounds of the USO again.

Yesterday was a completely different story. I'm still upset about him for that joke of a display. He wasn't that shockingly slow in the 1st set when it was still somewhat competitive, he was in the last 2 sets - when he wasn't even trying anymore.

Rasheed also is upset. Great news, I just hope it won't end up with another coach change, he definitely needs a Rasheed to compensate for all the annoying worship coming from Manicom and Rufin Monfils.

Last edited by Truc : 09-02-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #142
country flag Truc

In l’Equipe today:
Quote:
Monfils raplapla
Le Français avait du mal à s’expliquer sur sa panne de sensations qui avait irrité son nouveau coach Roger Rasheed.

22, VOILÀ LE FISH ! Un drôle de cadeau virevoltant et empoisonné pour fêter ses vingt-deux ans par une température élevée en ouverture de session sur le stadium Arthur-Ashe… Hier, l’ambiance était plombée pour Gaël Monfils. Pour la dérider, papa Rufin, venu tout exprès la veille des Antilles via Porto Rico pour un très furtif intermède, avait tenu à donner quand même des bonnes nouvelles du tennis guadeloupéen. « Il y a une fille de mon club du TC Petit-Bourg, vous verriez sa frappe ! Elle s’appelle Andrée Semé et elle est maintenant chez Bollettieri ! Gaël ? Bah, c’est un être humain. On ne peut pas être en forme tous les jours… »
Bon, mais on peut essayer de chasser les vents contraires. Mais, hier, le fils n’avait rien à offrir. Pas de pas de break dance, à peine quelques-unes de ces glissades qui font déjà sa légende outre-Atlantique, et juste une petite tentative de passing entre les jambes frôlant la ligne du mauvais côté. Et même toujours pas de cadeau à 21 heures, heure française. « Pas grand-chose, effectivement », reconnaissait l’athlète aussi amorphe en ce « Labor Day » qu’il peut être électrique. Pour comprendre l’étrange mue du showman tout flagada, la piste du genou bandé dans le second set n’était pas la bonne. « Je ressentais une petite douleur ces deux-trois derniers jours et j’ai voulu que le kiné me compresse le genou. Mais c’était surtout pour ne pas avoir peur, ça ne m’a pas gêné. Rien de bien grave. » Au moins, le Français savait ne pas se chercher d’alibi pour ce « no match » assez rare dans l’inventaire de sa carrière.
Roger Rasheed : « Son body language n’était pas bon »
Alors, l’effet Fish, peut-être, avec ses montées mordantes pour contrer celui que l’Américain craignait pour ses « facultés à faire disjoncter » ? « Ben non, tranchait celui-là, qui avait implosé. J’ai déjà joué contre des mecs qui montent comme ça. Mardy a été solide, c’est tout. Il n’a pas fait non plus un grand match. Moi, je donnais beaucoup de points, je jouais trop court, je le laissais dominer. »
Alors quoi, pour comprendre le crash ? « Pas de sensations, le jour sans, répondra Monfils. Je tapais moins bien que les jours précédents. Déjà, à l’échauffement, je ne sentais pas grand-chose, surtout le revers. J’aurais peut-être préféré qu’il y ait moins de vent. Là, je me retenais vachement, je n’ai pas réussi à m’adapter. Je n’ai pas réussi à cacher mes faiblesses énormes du jour et à savoir composer avec… Je ne suis pas là pour faire un huitième de finale, donc je suis déçu. Mais je vais tirer plein de conclusions de ce non match. Et notamment le fait que je n’ai pas su changer de tactique. Je n’ai pas trouvé le petit truc pour le faire chier… C’est ça qui n’est pas bon. » Impassible dans le box, les bras croisés, le nouveau coach Roger Rasheed n’avait pas aimé l’inexorable effritement. Rencontré la veille du match, l’Australien dur au mal, surmontant sans grincer un claquage au mollet l’ayant affalé voilà trois jours, avait expliqué la voie à suivre pour son nouveau poulain, qu’il trouvait courageux, respectueux et bien disposé.
« Bien sûr, Gaël n’est pas comme Lleyton (Hewitt, qu’il avait coaché précédemment), pour qui le fait de se battre était totalement naturel. Là, c’est comme si Monfils retournait à l’école primaire, pour apprendre. Pour moi, il faut donner chaque jour le maximum pour devenir meilleur que la veille. Il faut savoir pourquoi on se lève. Se préparer dès l’hôtel avant d’aller au bureau. Il faut donner le maximum pour ne rien avoir à regretter. Quand on finit une séance, il ne faut pas pouvoir se dire qu’on aurait pu travailler plus dur. C’est mon principe. Je suis un mec plutôt dur. Je n’aime pas perdre. » On ne vous explique pas la nature du débriefing…
« Ce n’est pas acceptable, fulminait le coach après l’amère défaite face à Fish. Ni pour lui, ni pour moi. Nous ne sommes pas contents. Nous ne sommes pas là pour nous faire éliminer en huitièmes de finale. Rien n’a marché dans ce match depuis le début. Gaël doit apprendre à changer de système. Son body language n’était pas bon. Je le lui ai dit et il l’a reconnu. L’idée, c’est d’être professionnel pour que ce genre de choses ne se reproduise plus. » Sir, yes, sir ! On n’aimerait pas s’appeler Monfils quand il s’agira, cet hiver, de suer en Australie pour la préparation d’avant saison.
FRANCK RAMELLA
Rufin Monfils was in NY especially for the match yesterday and trying to cheer up the Monfils clan after the match, telling stories about Guadeloupe. "Gaël? He's a human being. One can't be in great shape everyday..."
Yes, but one can try to do something then. His son had hardly done anything yesterday. "Not much indeed", Gaël admits. He was as dull as he can be electric sometimes. The knee was not the problem. "I asked the physio to compress the knee. But just to reassure me, it wasn't bothering me. Nothing serious." At least he didn't use it as an alibi for this for him pretty unusual "non match".
Was it because of Fish and his style of game? "No, I've already played against players who come to the net like that. Mardy was solid, nothing more. He didn't play a big match."
So what was the reason? "A bad day at the office. I wasn't striking the ball as well as the last few days. During the warmup already, especially on the BH side. Maybe it would have been easier if it wasn't so windy. I was restraining myself and wasn't able to adjust. I couldn't make up for the huge shortcomings in my game..." "I will draw a lot of conclusions from this non-match. In particular the fact that I wasn't able to change my tactics. I didn't find the little thing which would annoy him... That was the problem."
Always impassive in the stands, with his arms folded, Rasheed didn't like the show. The journalist of L'Equipe had met him the day before and Rasheed was saying about Gaël then that he was courageous, respectful and willing to work: "Of course, Gaël is not like Lleyton. Fighting was completely natural for Lleyton. It is as if Monfils was going back to the elementary school to learn. With me, he has to give the maximum everyday to get better than the day before. He has to know why he stands up everyday. To start getting ready at the hotel already before going to the office. To give the maximum to be sure to have zero regrets. To never think at the end of a training session he could have worked even harder. It's my rule. I'm quite harsh. I don't like to lose." Imagine the "debriefing" after yesterday's match...
Rasheed was mad: "It isn't admissible. For him and for me. We are not happy. We're not here to get beaten in the 4th round. Nothing was working, right from the beginning. Gaël must learn to change system. His body language was wrong. That's what I told him and he admitted it. The idea is to be professional so this kind of things won't happen again."
Sir, yes, sir! We don't envy Monfils when he will go to Australia this winter to get ready for the next season.

Rasheed still calls Gaël "Monfils", apparently (unlike Lleyton).

Last edited by Truc : 09-02-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #143
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
This time I don't agree. I don't get why you're mentioning the Fed and Djoko matches. Of course he will lose these close matches against players who are currently so much better players than him. He did a great job to keep it that close against them with all the shortcomings in his game and didn't really fail or disappoint.
He can choke when it gets tight, he has in the past, but it was not so much his problem this year imo. I thought he was pretty strong mentally when he had to close a set although he wasn't playing so well. Also in the first rounds of the USO again.

Yesterday was a completely different story. I'm still upset about him for that joke of a display. He wasn't that shockingly slow in the 1st set when it was still somewhat competitive, he was in the last 2 sets - when he wasn't even trying anymore.

Rasheed also is upset. Great news, I just hope it won't end up with another coach change, he definitely needs a Rasheed to compensate for all the annoying worship coming from Manicom and Rufin Monfils.

OK, this one need some explanation. I am not talking about choking (what's choking anyway ? is it some PHM choking just at the end of a match ? or is each loss like a choke whatever happens ? ), I am talkin about raising his level a little bit when needed on a big stage. I didn't find Fish pecularly good yesterday, as Djoko and Fed were in their match with Gael, and he was not really far away from him, like he was from the two others. I just feel like he still lacks something at that stage. I am not generalising though, cause it's true that he was already able sometimes to raise his level in the past. But he doesn't have one big victory on a big name in a tight match. And it's clearly lacking.

Yesterday was probably one hell of a hangover though, more than a tight match.

( I don't consider Fish like a big name though. But this match was important and tight : the audience were against him, a match for a quarter final in a grand slam and, most of all, a real opposition in style where it's always a bad match up for the retriever. Hangover or not, he needed to raise his level to win that match. )

Last edited by MacArthur : 09-02-2008 at 02:22 PM.
MacArthur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #144
country flag Truc

I don't know if anybody is interested in that kind of things, but it looks like he has a new agent again (he already changed after he left Lagardčre), he's now with Tiriac.
http://www.leprogres.fr/sports/omnisports/1044197.html
Moretton (tournament director of Lyon) says that they were negotiating with Gaël's agent and it was looking good, but 3 days before the deadline Gaël went over to Tiriac and his coach called Moretton to say he won't play during that week.

He isn't playing Metz either, it won't be a very popular schedule in France!
He has entered Bangkok - Tokyo - Vienna - Madrid - (nothing) - Bercy.