Shoulder Exercises? Help? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:22 AM   #1
country flag sheeter

sheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shoulder Exercises? Help?

Hello all i'm a young player who utilizes an extreme western grip and a lot variaty and heavy spin a lot as well. I very worried about blowing out or injuring my shoulder, espeacilly when it's the season at my school and I play a lot. My shoulder began to hurt towards the end of last year's season. Seeing as I play in the spring, I was wondering about any good exercises I could do to reinforce my shoulder? any advice is appreciated!
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
country flag tennistim

tennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shoulder Exercises? Help?

I had a very bad shoulder when I was 15. It wasn't exercises that helped me, instead it was changing my racquet. I had been using a racquet that was very light and my coach said that it was creating a slight miss-hit.

Are you using an ultra durable string? I ask because these have also caused me an elbow injury as they pass vibration through your arm.

Do you hit the ball dead centre everytime?

Miss-hitting + Hitting Hard = Higher chance of injury
Old 09-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
country flag sheeter

sheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistim View Post
I had a very bad shoulder when I was 15. It wasn't exercises that helped me, instead it was changing my racquet. I had been using a racquet that was very light and my coach said that it was creating a slight miss-hit.

Are you using an ultra durable string? I ask because these have also caused me an elbow injury as they pass vibration through your arm.

Do you hit the ball dead centre everytime?

Miss-hitting + Hitting Hard = Higher chance of injury
My racket is 10.7 oz (288 grams) so it could qualify as light. I typically use a polyester string like pro hurricane and a synthetic gut combo, or just polyester string. However I use a rubber band shock absorber so i don't think vibration would be an issue.
Yes, I'm a hard hitter and I mishit a reasonable amount.
Thanks for the info!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

I have shoulder injuries at times. Best thing to do is go to an ortapedic guy and get one of their list of exercises. (they all have them) Follow the instructions.
Also using the elastic bands before and after play helps a lot. Get your shoulders good and warmed up with the bands and stretching before you hit the court.

tennistim is right on too, check the racquet and also string tensions can have a dramatic affect on your shoulders and arms.

Below is a link to a great shoulder ice pack. I got the first one and it is friggin awesome.. Good luck and take care of those shoulders.

http://www.painreliever.com/Shoulder+Ice+Packs.html
Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
country flag sheeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTheKnife View Post
I have shoulder injuries at times. Best thing to do is go to an ortapedic guy and get one of their list of exercises. (they all have them) Follow the instructions.
Also using the elastic bands before and after play helps a lot. Get your shoulders good and warmed up with the bands and stretching before you hit the court.

tennistim is right on too, check the racquet and also string tensions can have a dramatic affect on your shoulders and arms.

Below is a link to a great shoulder ice pack. I got the first one and it is friggin awesome.. Good luck and take care of those shoulders.

http://www.painreliever.com/Shoulder+Ice+Packs.html
Thanks a bunch!