ATP Champions Race to Shanghai 2008 - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #196
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATP Champions Race to Shanghai 2008

Brilliant play by Del Potro in the Los Angeles final...completely outplayed Roddick to win his 14th straight match, and 3rd straight title. He now moves up to 17th in the Race standings (Robredo pips him courtesy of total points in "mandatories") and should almost be expected to break the 200pts mark, this week, benefiting from another rather soft draw which is likely to see him advance to at least the SF, and very possibly a 4th straight title, considering his current high level of form.

Roddick's finals run was enough to see him swap places with Blake, for the mantle of American #1, but he is still a fair number of points behind the ailing Ferrer, in 6th, and 101pts behind Murray, in 5th.

The individual country battles have also been updated...Seppi now enjoying a "solid" lead over Bolelli, Croatia being currently hit rather hard with ill-fortune (Ancic, Ljubicic and Karlovic out of the Olympics), while all 10 Americans currently featuring in the top 100 Race standings are in action this week.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #197
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

Gonzalez's finals run in Beijing has catapulted him right into main contention for the "remaining" 2-3 places in Shanghai, while Blake's SF run (and Roddick's QF demise in Washington) has enabled him to snatch back the American #1 ranking. Nadal has surely all but sown up the year-end #1 ranking with his passage to the final, while Djokovic has given himself a little more breathing room from Federer, at #2.

As expected, Del Potro has continued his winning run in Washington, with a place in the SF moving him up to #15. However, it might not stop there...a 4th consecutive title would see him pip Simon to #13. With their respective SF runs, Haas moves up to #57, Kunitsyn #82, and Troicki #93.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #198
country flag Stefwhit

Stefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond reputeStefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like the real battle is the fight for number two. I hope both Fed and Djo get a chance to go head to head a few more times this year. I'm hoping Djo edges Fed out, but I have a feeling Fed is going to narrowly fend off Djo for the year-end number two spot.
Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #199
TheHawk

TheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond reputeTheHawk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Novak will be definitely pumped up after the Olympic games. I'm more than sure that despite enjoying the fact that he was there, during the medal ceremony, he was on fire inside and he can't wait for the US Open to start and give it his best shot.
TheHawk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:43 AM   #200
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Race updated to New Haven R1. Just to let you all know that there will be no further updates until Thursday-Friday.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #201
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

No overly significant changes to the standings, this week, although Cilic's run to his 1st ATP title sees him leap 14 places to #19 (and Croat #1), while Fish's runner-up finish earns him a 9 place leap to #25. Also worth noting is Verdasco's first-time appearance in the top 10...he has finally chased down Almagro, and pips him to the #10 position courtesy of the "equal points tiebreaker."
Old 08-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #202
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

So, the final GS of the year is upon us...

Let's begin with the absentees: Ancic, Hewitt, Baghdatis, Ferrero, Youzhny, Ljubicic, Chela, Haase and Ljubicic. Of these, Hewitt and Baghdatis have been particularly hard-hit this season, with the former carding 0 pts in 6 of his 16 2008 countable results, to date, while the latter has carded 0 pts in 7 of his 14 countable results.

You'll notice that all of the top 25 have made it...and we should see some good scraps take place over the next fortnight. The heat is very much on in the battle for #2, and I dare say we're likely to see Federer and Djokovic go head-to-head next week, and possibly not for the last time this season. Murray has a pretty good shot at all but sealing his Shanghai berth, and a strong showing this fortnight would probably be enough to see him leapfrog Davydenko. Roddick will need to start winning, and quickly, if he is to hold onto his current top 8 ranking...some of the stronger contenders aren't far behind him...not least Gonzalez (whom he could meet in R4) and Del Potro, who we're likely to see in the 2nd week (and quite possibly as far as the SF stage...or maybe even further!). The draw has also thrown up a chance for Gasquet to get back into main contention, and of course it is time to welcome back Tsonga, who, if reasonably fit, should collect a few points with his draw.

Here's hoping for an entertaining 2 weeks.

Last edited by El Burro : 08-26-2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Youzhny added
Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #203
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Top 25 now up-to-date...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:40 AM   #204
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Okay, we're into the QF stages, so let's have a quick round-up...

Nadal, Djokovic and Federer are still intact, so obviously no changes inside the top 3.

Murray's R4 thrashing of Wawrinka, combined with Davydenko's demise to Muller, allows Great Britain's finest to now move up to #4.

Roddick's progress to the QF has earned him enough points to leap clear of Blake, and he could also overtake Ferrer, into #6, if he can find a way past Djokovic, next.

Del Potro's expected progress has now pushed him into the top 10, and a win over Murray would elevate him into the "Shanghai 8" - provisionally, of course.

Can't say too many expected Fish to be in the QF, and this impressive run pushes him up to #16.

One other guy I have yet to mention...Gilles Muller! He started this tournament with just 5pts, and a ranking in the #180s...a QF berth moves his tally up to 58pts, and a new ranking of #86. Very impressive progress by him, and I'm sure it must be a few years since we last had a qualifier in the QF of a GS. The only guy coming to my mind at this present time is Voltchkov (former Wimbledon SF'ist), but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #205
country flag nkp2

nkp2 has a reputation beyond reputenkp2 has a reputation beyond reputenkp2 has a reputation beyond reputenkp2 has a reputation beyond reputenkp2 has a reputation beyond reputenkp2 has a reputation beyond reputenkp2 has a reputation beyond reputenkp2 has a reputation beyond reputenkp2 has a reputation beyond reputenkp2 has a reputation beyond reputenkp2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
No specific order:
Djocomic
Tsonga
Federer
Nadal
Davydenko
I can bet 1000 $ with anyone they will qualify
Then 3 of this players in this order of probability
+ Nalbandian
Roddick
Murray
Ferrer
Gasquet
Youzhny
I bet $1000 Tsonga doesn't make it

I take it you'll be paying by the Zimbabwe dollar :P
Suicide - 108

Titles 2009 FITD - Vina Del Mar; PAW - Johannesburg; TT Doubles - Besancon CH (w/Mincheff)
Titles 2008 FITD - Rome Masters

TT Profile
nkp2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:57 AM   #206
country flag maconick

maconick has a reputation beyond reputemaconick has a reputation beyond reputemaconick has a reputation beyond reputemaconick has a reputation beyond reputemaconick has a reputation beyond reputemaconick has a reputation beyond reputemaconick has a reputation beyond reputemaconick has a reputation beyond reputemaconick has a reputation beyond reputemaconick has a reputation beyond reputemaconick has a reputation beyond repute

update please
maconick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:19 AM   #207
country flag Murraymaniac

Murraymaniac has a reputation beyond reputeMurraymaniac has a reputation beyond reputeMurraymaniac has a reputation beyond reputeMurraymaniac has a reputation beyond reputeMurraymaniac has a reputation beyond reputeMurraymaniac has a reputation beyond reputeMurraymaniac has a reputation beyond reputeMurraymaniac has a reputation beyond reputeMurraymaniac has a reputation beyond reputeMurraymaniac has a reputation beyond reputeMurraymaniac has a reputation beyond repute

Murray's qualified, well done to him.

The last two spots seem wide open now. Paris should be interesting again.

Andy Murray / Fernando Gonzalez / Mikhail Youzhny / Simone Bolleli / Kei Nishikori / Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Glasgow Rangers - 51 league titles, we welcome the chase!
Murraymaniac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #208
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Well, many doubted him coming into this, but Federer reigns supreme once again, and in winning his 5th successive US Open crown, he leapfrogs Djokovic back into #2. Murray's enormous GS breakthrough has given him a large lead over the #5 ranked Davydenko, and, more importantly, as Murraymaniac mentions, it has earned him a guaranteed place in the year-end Masters Cup.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #209
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Burro View Post
Well, many doubted him coming into this, but Federer reigns supreme once again, and in winning his 5th successive US Open crown, he leapfrogs Djokovic back into #2. Murray's enormous GS breakthrough has given him a large lead over the #5 ranked Davydenko, and, more importantly, as Murraymaniac mentions, it has earned him a guaranteed place in the year-end Masters Cup.
A great tournament for Federer for sure.

Do you know what his race points total was in 2003? I suspect it was far lower than this year due to three fairly poor slam results.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #210
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
A great tournament for Federer for sure.

Do you know what his race points total was in 2003? I suspect it was far lower than this year due to three fairly poor slam results.
875 - not a lot in it at the moment, although Federer should be posting strong results in the European indoors (and TMC) over the next 8 weeks...I'm expecting him to score close to/just over 1200 points (e.g. TMS title, TMS SF, optional win, runner-up TMC, losing 1 RR), with good room for stronger performances, as you can see from my example.