Late Picks - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: When should you be allowed to pick until?

The start of the FIRST match 12 70.59%
The start of the CHOSEN match 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Late Picks

Please Vote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Late Picks

The start of the CHOSEN match, because people can't choice a tournament like in TT or PAW.

Due to the time difference it seems fair to me.

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
country flag Taz Warrior

Taz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond repute

The start of the FIRST match is fairest as it can be difficult to keep track of when matches start plus the people who pick late can gain an advantage if they know the earlier results.
Taz Warrior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
country flag eljab

eljab has a reputation beyond reputeeljab has a reputation beyond reputeeljab has a reputation beyond reputeeljab has a reputation beyond reputeeljab has a reputation beyond reputeeljab has a reputation beyond reputeeljab has a reputation beyond reputeeljab has a reputation beyond reputeeljab has a reputation beyond reputeeljab has a reputation beyond reputeeljab has a reputation beyond repute

It's a really difficult choice.

I'm for the chose match for the Bjorki's reasons.
An also because to be late of half an hour or one hour seems to be really crual. Everybody have a life and it's sometimes difficult to commit in time

But i'm for the first match for other reasons :
Personnaly, as manager, i'm spending a lot of time here. It's my pleasure. I'm here half an hour before working and perharps 5 or 6 hours the evening. I try to put the oop as soon as possible. Then, players have at least 12 or 14 hours to pick. Time is enough even if there is some different time zone.
But that's not the principal reason.
The principal one is about the game : you've to choose not only a winner, but also a match in a list.
I remember the AO discussion when one player ask to post on the last match of the day (Nadal/mathieu). The day was plenty of surprises, and a lot of people who picked at time had lost. I thought, and i still thinking that it can be easier to pick when a lot of matches have be done :

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=652

So... i'm a little bit undecided. It's not help a lot, i know.

Perharps the soluce is to accept a tolerance as long as the first match running
DTT single : NC; double : NC
TT "you want a bye in 1st round ? Play eljab !" (25 lost in 1st round on 37 challengers played)
Single : NC CH (22/38) ATP [23/16] / 2009 : (0/2)[2/3]
no title, no final
Double : NC (44/35) [14/16] / 2009 : (2/2)[3/3]
W Finals : 5 /Titles : 2 CH Knoxville 07 (with Colt th magnific); CH Besancon 08 (With Sol "Haute" Apollo)
eljab is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

to be honest I did not think about managers view. and also not about Gavs opinion.

People ask for updates but it's almost impossible if you can pick the whole day....

I am really unsure what's the best
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Gav's opinion is pretty much the argument yemok and I used and the reason this wasnt changed last year when it was brought up. This issue is harder than one might think.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #7
country flag balloon

balloon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond repute

I dun see why we should change the rules just because of one or two or three people who could not make the effort to send in picks on time.

Lambaba ( just quoting him ), sends in picks minutes before the 1st match for almost every tournaments. The key word here is every, which means that even though the timezone is completely weird, he still makes an effort to put him alarm clock or what to send his picks in.

Sending in picks before the start of the 1st match is the rule, and since it isn't broke why change it?

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
balloon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:01 AM   #8
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloon View Post
I dun see why we should change the rules just because of one or two or three people who could not make the effort to send in picks on time.

Lambaba ( just quoting him ), sends in picks minutes before the 1st match for almost every tournaments. The key word here is every, which means that even though the timezone is completely weird, he still makes an effort to put him alarm clock or what to send his picks in.

Sending in picks before the start of the 1st match is the rule, and since it isn't broke why change it?

Since I'm one of those 3 people that "DIDN'T MAKE THE EFFORT" I'd like to take acception because I always make an effort in everything I do in life, including these internet games. I've NEVER missed sending in my TT picks EVER.

But yesterday morning after a sleepless night after my cat was rushed to hospital and had to be put down at 11pm leaving me devastated I still managed to just get my TT picks in before I went to work but the suicide game slipped my mind because my mind was all over the place. On Tuesdays I have to do everything before I go to work because I don't get home until after play starts so I was left stranded not being able to get my pick in because I do not have access to the internet at work like some of the priveliged people here

I tried all day to get onto the suicide page on my mobile phone's internet connection (spending quite a lot of money doing so as it happens - connnecting on my phone is not cheap) but I just couldn't get the page to load so I had to give up.

How dare someone imply that I don't make a freaking effort.

Anyway in closing. When this game first started up there was a clause for special circumstances where people could submit a lote pick for a later match but only once a week - pretty much because occasionally there are times when people just can't avoid it.

Last edited by Peta Pan : 02-13-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Peta Pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #9
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

And now I've had another outburst

Things in my life are putting me on emotional tenderhooks right now so anything is possible. It's just that coming to MTF and doing things like these games are one of the things that take my mind off other problems so to come and find out that I was out of the game quite upset me further.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:51 AM   #10
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloon View Post
Since you wish to quote on my reply, dun blame me for being harsh then.

You mentioned yourself you can send in TT picks, but you forgot Suicide. Whose fault? Mine? Snowyyz? Or your cat?

And the most important thing.

Did i say you are one of the three? If yes, please point out to me. One, two, three are just examples, just like Lambaba whom I use as an example. If no, please understand that I'm just giving my point of view regarding late picks. You have no need to make any personal attacks.
Did I ever say it was your fault? :retard: Or Snowwys? (it's 2 w's btw not 2 y's ) ... and why would anyone blame Snowwy? Snowwy's awesome And you can leave my cat alone, I didn't blame her either. I SAID I forgot because of my emotional state when I woke up yesterday morning. Usually there would be no problem for me to put my suicide pick in when I do my TT ones.

Yes... You actually said that people that don't put in their picks don't make an effort to do so... since I was one of them yesterday then Yes you are actually referring to me. Also I never actually personally attacked you in any way
Old 02-13-2008, 10:32 AM   #11
country flag I♥PsY@Mus!c

I♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Late Picks

The start of the FIRST match 4 sure IMO.

Yes I know there are different time zones but I'm used to doing it,I can pick on morning,at midnight,this game trains my calculation of time zones. I agree with some posters,picking before the 1st match is the fairest.NO ONE can cheat and NO NEED to check who cheats after the match has started.

Cheer for: Ljubicic Gonzalez Murray Mahut Soderling Tipsarevic Mathieu Simon Muller Tsonga Berdych Kohlschreiber Wawrinka Acasuso Almagro O.Rochus Kiefer...
I♥PsY@Mus!c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
Ivanatis

Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljab View Post
It's a really difficult choice.

Indeed. As much as I'm trying I cannot make a decision in this issue. The only thing of which I'm convinced is that if a manager of an event does not have the time, motivation etc. to check whether everyone picked a match, which has not yet started when he picked it, the deadline should be the start of the first match. If the manager is more "pro start-of-every-match" it is really difficult as it's pretty impossible to please everybody.

But as it seems this poll is pretty much decided...
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #13
Snowwy

Since this is not even close, there will be no change.

We may have this poll again in a few months when new people want change, and if it is closer, then something may change.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #14
country flag fencer

fencer has a reputation beyond reputefencer has a reputation beyond reputefencer has a reputation beyond reputefencer has a reputation beyond reputefencer has a reputation beyond reputefencer has a reputation beyond reputefencer has a reputation beyond reputefencer has a reputation beyond reputefencer has a reputation beyond reputefencer has a reputation beyond reputefencer has a reputation beyond repute

im a new player for this game.

i sent my pick after the first match had started one hour for US OPEN in day5. someone told me i was out 'couse the rule. i cant understant there r 7-8 matches still not start, why i can't pick them.

u guys kown if u send ur pick before the first match start, u should have more chance to choice than the latecomer, so why u can't give the latecomer a chance to choice the remain?

its my idea, anyone can make his pick even only one match remaid.

anyway, the rule have been set down and must be obeyed. but i hope the rule can be made better.