Memorable matches - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #16
country flag Rogieva
You can never have enough

Rogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Memorable matches

I was 46 45* *40/15 down (2MPS) against a guy from my club. We are good friends, I always used to beat him in practise drills etc. He played well it shocked me.

Anyway, I came back and won 46 75 75 in what seemed such a marathon. I lead 2-0 or maybe 3-0 in the final set, then he served for the match again at 64 57 *54 but I broke, and won eventually.

I wanted to win this match so so so so so so bad, I think that's what got me through it. I did not want to lose
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 03:45 AM   #17
country flag Knightmace

Knightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond repute

I hard a great match with my friend, and he took the first set 7-5 then I took the second 7-6 and I was down 4-2 in the third but managed to come back and win the game 7-5.

Incredible.
Knightmace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #18
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute

Well I just played a match that I wont forget in a hurry. Lost 6-0 6-0 in 55 minutes. I played 4 lovely points, made a lot of UE's but basically was beaten by a (far) superior player. I'm so humiliated/angry ..... still have to smile though

To be fair/make an excuse, this was the first time I'd played in 2 weeks due to a hip strain.

Last edited by StevoTG : 04-30-2008 at 07:39 PM.
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #19
country flag TKCHQ

TKCHQ has a reputation beyond reputeTKCHQ has a reputation beyond reputeTKCHQ has a reputation beyond reputeTKCHQ has a reputation beyond reputeTKCHQ has a reputation beyond reputeTKCHQ has a reputation beyond reputeTKCHQ has a reputation beyond reputeTKCHQ has a reputation beyond reputeTKCHQ has a reputation beyond reputeTKCHQ has a reputation beyond reputeTKCHQ has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday I won 6-4 6-4
Two service breaks were enough to allow me get this triumph
If weather permitting, tomorrow I have a difficult match and I hope to be as focused as possible and move back Agan.
TKCHQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #20
country flag m0nk3ys1ms

m0nk3ys1ms is on a distinguished road

My most memorable match was a school match with me and my friend playing doubles against these two other guys. We won 6-0, 6-0, not even trying and laughing our asses off after every hit the two guys on the other team made. It was a good day.
m0nk3ys1ms is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #21
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

How about a string of memorable matches? Back in 2005, in USTA League play, I was part of 9 straight sets of...6-0...over a 5 match period (including 3 matches at #1 doubles and a #2 singles effort). *sigh*

And you'd a thunk...I'd have gotten bumped up. But nooooooo. My partner did, though

Another memorable match was last Fall in a Mixed Match. We had our first set tiebreaker go to 21-19 (which we won). Lost the second set...but won it in the third. Whew.

On the losing end, I'll never forget a District Tournament match that because of the excess heat...was limited to a proset (8 games). We were up 7-2...and lost, that match as well as the team's efforts. The heat was so intense, you could feel it radiating off the court to the back of your calves. And driving on the way home, I looked down and saw my hands all shriveled up. A sure sign of dehydration. I had to pull over, drink yet another Gatorade...and hope I could make it home. I was going to a favorite cousin's wedding that evening so I had to be in decent shape. Thank goodness there was no alcohol at the event to tempt me. I'd have been a goner for sure.

Last edited by Angle Queen : 06-19-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Angle Queen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:50 AM   #22
country flag Laba

Laba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond repute

My most memorable match is from roughly two years ago in the Finals of a comp my friend and I entered in together. With two players to a team, there would be two singles matches followed by a doubles rubber regardless if the result was already 2-0 or needing the final match. So my partner was up first and he lost in a tight two setter, 5-7 3-6 against probably the most skilled player in the comp. I was up next, needing to win to keep our chances alive.

I was nervous yet kept reminding myself that I had beaten my opponent in the first week of round robin play about two months prior; 6-4 6-4. Anyway, I was taken by surprise in the first set 'cause his groundstrokes were much better and he was really hitting through the court. We each exchanged a single break of serve early in the set and it ended up going to a tight tiebreaker which he won 5-7. In the second set, he seemed to be riding on confidence and outside support (he had a fair few people made up of family/friends cheering quite a lot)... and went up 2-4 with a break, and then had 0-40 on my serve, which I happened to fault on my first. At this stage, it all seemed over... I had been off-rhythm in the second set, constructing points well but unable to finish them off... until I heard someone from his group loudly proclaim "Ya might as well give 'em the trophies now!!!"

Needless to say, I fired right up, suddenly became more assault-minded and charged to the net off a kick-serve and smashed the shit out of an overhead to save the first breakpoint. From there, I was just rarely missing, going on to turn the set around and take it 6-4. I carried that momentum on into the third set and powered to a 6(5)-7, 6-4, 6-2 victory... forcing a "live" doubles match which would be one set to determine who won.

We went on to destroy them 6-1, playing our best doubles match of the competition and capturing the trophies from right out of their grasps!
Laba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #23
country flag wales1994

wales1994 has a reputation beyond reputewales1994 has a reputation beyond reputewales1994 has a reputation beyond reputewales1994 has a reputation beyond reputewales1994 has a reputation beyond reputewales1994 has a reputation beyond reputewales1994 has a reputation beyond reputewales1994 has a reputation beyond reputewales1994 has a reputation beyond reputewales1994 has a reputation beyond reputewales1994 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just come back a few hours ago from winning a 3 set match 7-5 6-7 7-6 (8) i'm only 14 so am not really experienced in doubles but i really needed this win I was so chuffed afterwards!
wales1994 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #24
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday I won a doubles match with my friend against two 20something year olds. We were down 2-5 in the first set and I got pegged with a forehand after my partner hit an anemic 2nd serve. What happened next? We break three times and win 5 straight games to win the set 7-5. In the next set, I was @ net and hit the most rediculous overhead into the deuce court, then my opponent somehow hits another lob and I hit the same exact overhead, then somehow for the 3rd time he lobs and I hit another should-have-been overhead winner which he finnaly lobbed over me to my partner. My partner hit a really short lob which of course.... my opponent dominated for the point. In the end we won the 2nd set in a tie-break to win the match 7-5 7-6
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #25
country flag babolatboy

babolatboy is on a distinguished road

Junior year (just graduated) I was second singles for my high school team, even though it was only my second year playing, so I have a few storeis from my triumphs in that arena, but will only regale you with one. I am not a very big person, and the guy I was playing was huge, the opposing coach called it a David and Goliath match in a failed attempt to be clever. I lost the first set 0-6. But I was getting my serve back on track and had better feel on my lobs. I won the second set 6-4 in a typical one break fashion. The third set I went down quickly and was eventually faced with a 2-5 0-40 triple match/break point. I held! And went on to win 5 straight games to beat him. I have a few others if anyones interested in hearing them as well!! haha
babolatboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #26
country flag sheeter

sheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond repute

My dubs partner and i lost a match 6-3 0-6 and 3-10 in a super tie breaker. We didn't play dubs mutch together, but still . . . We were pissed afterwards.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:45 AM   #27
country flag TwilightHunter

TwilightHunter is on a distinguished road

I have one that always comes to mind:

It was the first round of the state playoffs, and I was playing doubles. It's not my strong suit; I'm better off in singles, but hey, my coach didn't listen. Oh well. My partner was getting sick from the heat, and not pulling his load, so I was trying to compensate. I was playing back, running to and fro returning balls, moving so much I barely had time to think. A slow shot came, and I hit a drop shot with heavy backspin; that's always been my specialty. The ball went over and rolled down the opposite side of the net, hit the ground, then bounced back up and over to my side. The opposing players just stood and stared, mouth agape, while my team went wild. We lost in the end, but it was a good game.
TwilightHunter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:39 PM   #28
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Won 6-4, 6-0, 6-4 yesterday against a guy at my club who usually gives me heaps of trouble. I must have hit 40-50 winners off the forehand, felt good!
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #29
country flag tennistim

tennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond repute

One time I got into an argument with my opponent because he refused to call his lines. It was around 10pm and we were at the end of a long match. We argued for 10 mins and had got nowhere. He went into the club house and I grabbed my bag and left the club and started walking home.

5 mins later I heard someone shouting at me. I looked around and it was him! He was screaming my name and saying I forgot to sign the result form. This guy was a complete nutter. So I started to run away from him just to get to the train station before he caught me up.

I guess you could say that one was pretty memorable!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #30
country flag tennistim

tennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHunter View Post
I have one that always comes to mind:

It was the first round of the state playoffs, and I was playing doubles. It's not my strong suit; I'm better off in singles, but hey, my coach didn't listen. Oh well. My partner was getting sick from the heat, and not pulling his load, so I was trying to compensate. I was playing back, running to and fro returning balls, moving so much I barely had time to think. A slow shot came, and I hit a drop shot with heavy backspin; that's always been my specialty. The ball went over and rolled down the opposite side of the net, hit the ground, then bounced back up and over to my side. The opposing players just stood and stared, mouth agape, while my team went wild. We lost in the end, but it was a good game.
I once did that off the return of service when playing a club tournament. The club president saw it and said "Wow! You'll never see that in another 10 years!!".

I did it again 5 mins later.

It's not that difficult if you get a soft service. I have met a guy who did it twice in a match off a full blooded smash.