The Federer Decline Thread - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Pete?

No. I think Federer's decline is a fact and he's not winning any major in the future. 38 17.35%
I kinda agree... He's in a great moment, but the other 2 guys are too good. No more slams for Feddy 45 20.55%
I totally agree. Fed's still playing great tennis and he'll probably win another major 104 47.49%
Hello. I'm Rod Laver and my records are intact. Suck it losers. 32 14.61%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #61
country flag Bazooka

Bazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer, less weight of shot?

Federer's strenght is in place. He's in his prime. His skill is still amazing. Unfortunately his problems are more mental, which means all his shots are less reliable. Serve, FH, volley...
Quote:
The inhabitants of the Balearic Islands are said to have been the inventors of slings, and to have managed them with surprising dexterity, owing to the manner of bringing up their children. The children were not allowed to have their food by their mothers till they had first struck it with their sling.
~Vegetius, De Re Militari, late 4th century
Nadal: the last Balearic Slinger, the ultimate product of natural selection. Feel the weight of the centuries in the Topspin from Hell!
Bazooka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #62
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

his mind has aged the most , and there's no surgery for that.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #63
country flag bokehlicious
Banned!

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Lack of motivation obviously, he's already enjoying his billions $...
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #64
country flag Okonsky
@Ryan's Hat

Okonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
By then Roger will be on his pension and playing a with a walking frame.
Yes and I'm dead (Roger is way younger than me)
Old 06-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #65
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perspective on the "Federer decline"

I think everyone should wait and see what the future brings. Sampras was number one for 6 years and that happened even during years when he was not having a "good" year. Speculation gets us nowhere.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #66
country flag Okonsky
@Ryan's Hat

Okonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond reputeOkonsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Speculation gets us nowhere.
As always.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #67
country flag DhammaTiger
May All Beings Be Happy!!

Location: So happy to be back to the City of Angels (Krung Thep)
DhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond repute

All the speculatiion on the decline of Roger is basically wishful thinking on the part of fans of his rivals. It is simply laughable to say that a player of Roger's caliber is declining and is a has been based on poor performance in half of one season. Considering Roger is not yet 27 years old, I think it's ludicrous to proclaim his impending demise.
Does anybody remember that prior to Agassi's win RG '99 he had reached a very low ranking and had to play challengers? Sampras captured quite a few grand slam titles past the age of 26. Do you remember the time when Becker gave Sampras the wild card in Vienna so he can be in contention for the end of the year number one ranking? I am sorry I am not good in dates but I am sure you can google everything I wrote here and get the exact dates. The point I am making is it's too early, as Star has said to consign Federer to the has been heap. In my opinion, I am sure Roger will come back to win Wimbledon and the U.S. Open because now he is motivated to prove his detractor's wrong.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:06 AM   #68
country flag The_Nadal_effect

The_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Federer On The Razor's Edge

Even though Federer has enshrined himself in the pantheon of the greats; it seems to me that there is a question that weighs heavily on his mind, which bewilders and bothers him, like no other query has before. The question is a simple one for players past their prime to answer, but a very difficult one for someone like Federer who is not quite certain whether he is past his prime or just running a temporary loss of form, albeit a long one. The problem gets magnified when it becomes a question of belief for the champion (Am I still good enough?).

The question Federer asks himself, I conjecture-- as some would have guessed by now-- is, “Has my time come to exit or should I continue playing?”

“No Fed, don’t retire. You are too good. There’s a slam waiting. End of discussion!” I can almost hear the loyal followers of his game argue, but I deem it as perfectly reasonable speculation, this pertinent question I have put forward.

Is he suffering a temporary setback or is he genuinely past his prime? Let’s reason this. For more than half a season this year, Federer has won nothing of notable importance. Yet, outwardly he projects himself as a contender for the Olympics, the Flushing Meadows, and next year’s Wimbledon, but inwardly; he continues to crack at the big moments, getting nervous and losing early matches to players he might have owned in the past. He claims he’s fit, and can carry on for years, but are his claims a result of honest introspection, or just a flatulent show of confidence?

To me, Federer appears confused as he can’t seem to figure out whether he is indeed heading towards the exit door of the theatre he outperformed everyone in, or just going through the biggest bad phase he’s ever had in his career. Having basked in Grand Slam glory for 4 consecutive years, I’m sure he feels that he can grab a few more (he won three slams only last year); the thought of equalling Sampras’ record of 14 slams being especially tantalising—- ‘So close, yet so far’, as they say.

Should Federer get hooked to the thought of chasing Pistol Pete’s glory and continue playing, he faces two obvious predicaments. Either he can win slams or he can’t win any. If he wins one slam soon enough, it might entice him to carry on for a while with the hope of getting just another, but if he doesn’t win any for maybe another whole year (2009), he risks becoming an expired number 1 like a Safin or an Agassi whom everyone enjoys walloping because it’s a prestigious addition to their resumé.
On the other hand, if Federer’s confidence is just ostentatious, then it is better that he retires soon (while in the top five), instead of giving himself false hopes that he can ride the chariot of glory once again.

Also consider this absurd scenario if Federer continues to play without winning. Will we, as fans of his game watch him ripped of his throne and carry on tournament after tournament without winning anything substantial or going deep into them? Can we watch him torment us with first round exits while he concentrates on his especial mental and nervous weaknesses, and tries to overcome them? Are we strong enough to watch The Federer Express roll down the rankings to number five or even lower? I’m just speculating, of course, but can you imagine the Roger Federer as a world number five??? OR would we rather he retire while he’s still the king of the castle?

As I mentioned in the opening passage, the battle rests primarily on his self-belief— it is a question of self belief— but even Safin believes, as do Hewitt and Moya. So clearly, belief is only a good start, after which he’ll have to continue observing his flaws, but will he be strong enough to not be overwhelmed by consecutive losses he’ll suffer during this down phase and keep his confidence and vision awake even as the whole tour finds more and more chinks in his royal armour? This is maybe Federer’s first genuine test of resilience. I hope he passes it because he surely has other-worldly talent to do so, but will he learn how to conquer his mind, his demons and his nerves? That remains to be seen.

Help Federer answer this bleeding question on the edge. Should he go, or should he stay? Discuss and vote.

BTW, hugs to some of the MTF'rs I know.
Long time since I posted here.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:13 AM   #69
country flag schorsch

schorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond repute

well he is sponsored by gillette. maybe he should give the razor to nadull and murray as a present. they need it far more than he does.
schorsch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:51 AM   #70
country flag General Suburbia

General Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond reputeGeneral Suburbia has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the big question of whether or not Federer can continue dominating is because there hasn't been a player quite like him before. All the greats before him had to continually claw their way into the #1 spot, only to see it go to someone else for a couple weeks when the dozen other competitors raised their game. Things were never truly constant, so there were no safe certainties to rely on. And that was the reason they'd keep fighting. Federer, on the other hand, has dominated like no other. He never had a "slump" where he'd fight back for the top position. Now that he's finally down, what is someone like him supposed to do? He hasn't been the underdog in 4 years, and seemed to thrive on the idea that he was the best; his aura alone was enough to take down nearly everyone else.

This might be stupid rambling that doesn't make sense, but this is what I see nowadays with Federer. He just looks frustrated out there and a little confused.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #71
country flag Knightmace

Knightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Suburbia View Post
I guess the big question of whether or not Federer can continue dominating is because there hasn't been a player quite like him before. All the greats before him had to continually claw their way into the #1 spot, only to see it go to someone else for a couple weeks when the dozen other competitors raised their game. Things were never truly constant, so there were no safe certainties to rely on. And that was the reason they'd keep fighting. Federer, on the other hand, has dominated like no other. He never had a "slump" where he'd fight back for the top position. Now that he's finally down, what is someone like him supposed to do? He hasn't been the underdog in 4 years, and seemed to thrive on the idea that he was the best; his aura alone was enough to take down nearly everyone else.

This might be stupid rambling that doesn't make sense, but this is what I see nowadays with Federer. He just looks frustrated out there and a little confused.
Maybe losing his dominance can get him fired back up again.
Knightmace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #72
country flag BeautifulTommy

BeautifulTommy has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulTommy has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulTommy has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulTommy has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulTommy has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulTommy has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulTommy has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulTommy has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulTommy has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulTommy has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulTommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Federer in Denial that there's a Problem

I've followed women's tennis a lot in years gone by, and there's a resonance of Graf-Seles about the Nadal-Federer rivalry.

In 1990, up until losing to Seles in Berlin, Graf was on a 66-match winning streak, the second longest in history. She was then defeated once again by the unconventional Yugoslav, whose game was far less than aesthetic to the tennis purists, in Paris a month later. Not long afterwards, she not only relinquished her number one ranking to Seles, but all of a sudden she was more vulnerable to the likes of Sanchez-Vicario, Sabatini, Novotna and Navratilova.

My point? Like Nadal, Seles was not the text book tennis player, and Graf had been taught that those who played as Seles did would not make it. They would unravel, they had too many chinks in their armour, and she was superior. In her mind, she just kept on having a bad day; it was only a matter of time before the tables were reversed. And so she went on as if there wasn't a problem - and stayed number two in the world.

Hopefully a stabbing won't afford Federer the space to regain his confidence and once again win major championships. But like Graf, Federer is a get-on-with-it sort of guy. His glass is always half full.

Now that is usually a good philosophy, but balance is required in everything in order to achieve success. Roger's glass is swaying dangerously to one side, and he's lost some of that winning solution as a result. Federer needs to admit to himself that he has genuine problems against Nadal's game, and that some of those problems are caused by qualities Nadal possesses, which he does not.

Once Federer has done that, he can work to countervail Nadal's heavy topspun forehands and re-impose his own game. Like Graf in facing Seles, Federer is five years older, knows that in theory he has the ability to break down Nadal's game, and a touch of arrogance -- I should not be losing to this player -- dents his ability to see that there is a unique problem posed by Nadal.

When he has faced up to his challenge, and seen Nadal as his equal, he will not need to place himself under the stifling pressure of being, in his own mind, the better player who shouldn't be losing these matches.

And then he won't be losing to the likes of James Blake in major tournaments, good player though Blake is.
BeautifulTommy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #73

The_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Nadal_effect has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer in Denial that there's a Problem

Quote:
Now that is usually a good philosophy, but balance is required in everything in order to achieve success. Roger's glass is swaying dangerously to one side, and he's lost some of that winning solution as a result. Federer needs to admit to himself that he has genuine problems against Nadal's game, and that some of those problems are caused by qualities Nadal possesses, which he does not.
The part in bold is very, very difficult for a Champion's ego to admit. For as long as Federer does not admit Rafa to be better than him in certain aspects, he'll never get the better of him.

Quote:
Once Federer has done that, he can work to countervail Nadal's heavy topspun forehands and re-impose his own game. Like Graf in facing Seles, Federer is five years older, knows that in theory he has the ability to break down Nadal's game, and a touch of arrogance -- I should not be losing to this player -- dents his ability to see that there is a unique problem posed by Nadal.
Same point as the one above.

Quote:
When he has faced up to his challenge, and seen Nadal as his equal, he will not need to place himself under the stifling pressure of being, in his own mind, the better player who shouldn't be losing these matches.
Fed has to grow humble. Forget winning or losing, forget being number 1 or 2 or 10. Get back to becoming a player of the sport, and who knows, I'm certain he'll once again see the yellow ball and himself on the court sans any opponent.

Quote:
And then he won't be losing to the likes of James Blake in major tournaments, good player though Blake is.
The way he's going, any one playing above their average has a chance.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:02 PM   #74
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

BeautifulTommy, not quoting your post due to it's length. I agree with some of the points you make, but, it's not only Nadal that Federer is losing to. So developing some sort of strategy based solely on one guy when you are in fact losing to more than to just that player does not make sense.
I know Nadal fans like to think that Nadal conquered Federer, but the truth is, he's losing to a lot of guys right now. Which tells you it's not just Nadals style of play that's giving him problems. It's pretty obvious that his confidence is at an all time low. How players regain confidence (if they ever do) is a very personal and individual thing. Fed will just have to figure out what works for him. Maybe he will regain it, maybe he won't, only time will tell.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTheKnife View Post
BeautifulTommy, not quoting your post due to it's length. I agree with some of the points you make, but, it's not only Nadal that Federer is losing to. So developing some sort of strategy based solely on one guy when you are in fact losing to more than to just that player does not make sense.
I know Nadal fans like to think that Nadal conquered Federer, but the truth is, he's losing to a lot of guys right now. Which tells you it's not just Nadals style of play that's giving him problems. It's pretty obvious that his confidence is at an all time low. How players regain confidence (if they ever do) is a very personal and individual thing. Fed will just have to figure out what works for him. Maybe he will regain it, maybe he won't, only time will tell.
Listen Granpa McTK!
Not all Nadal fans think that way. I was just trying to highlight some of the points that Fed might have too take note of when he plays his opponents. I happened to used Rafa's example because it was provided. Like Fed needing to FOCUS is a general assertion against any opponent, not just Nadal.