Roger Federer : Who Can Help Him - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:12 AM   #196
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger Federer : Who Can Help Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papagena View Post
That's nonsense, CD. Roger has been claiming for over two years now that he expects Rafa to be his follow-up as a #1. He's NEVER said that about anyone else, and moreover, even when all the talk was suddenly about Djoko (remember him? ), he still maintained that if there was anyone being his greatest threat, it was Rafa.

It was only a matter of time for his words to come true, and we're about to witness it soon.

And don't think Roger is in denial about anything... he's just acting wisely not to show too much of his doubts.

i remember federer was asked if nadal was weak on hard courts and federer said: 'if someone is saying nadal cant play on hardcourts then they dont know tennis.' or something to that effect
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 12:19 AM   #197
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
i remember federer was asked if nadal was weak on hard courts and federer said: 'if someone is saying nadal cant play on hardcourts then they dont know tennis.' or something to that effect

Fed also said just before the tournament-- in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS-- that Nadal was the 3rd best on hard courts.

thats denial and it also pisses off Nadal who knows he is a monster force on any surface now if he is not tired, spent, and injured.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #198
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
Fed also said just before the tournament-- in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS-- that Nadal was the 3rd best on hard courts.

thats denial and it also pisses off Nadal who knows he is a monster force on any surface now if he is not tired, spent, and injured.
yeah... if fed said this and it wasnt sh!te reporting... then, he's probably losing a part of that gracious nature that has served him so well when on top...

if it is in feds makeup to cast nadal off in the season immediately after he has been dished up a bagel on clay and a loss on grass, then, maybe it is possible to say that fed has been mentally exposed... to personally rank players, and to rank them on a surface may serve to fire nadal up for sure...

it may be enough simply to concede that nadal is the form player going in to the hard season... this to me doesnt say #1 or says someone else is favourite... it simply means... nadal is the form player going into the hard season... no more, no less... and its not a word of a lie either...

it must be tough when you are not ready to step down off the throne... especially when you consider your rival plays an inferior brand of tennis...
Old 07-29-2008, 12:58 AM   #199
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
yeah... if fed said this and it wasnt sh!te reporting... then, he's probably losing a part of that gracious nature that has served him so well when on top...

if it is in feds makeup to cast nadal off in the season immediately after he has been dished up a bagel on clay and a loss on grass, then, maybe it is possible to say that fed has been mentally exposed... to personally rank players, and to rank them on a surface may serve to fire nadal up for sure...

it may be enough simply to concede that nadal is the form player going in to the hard season... this to me doesnt say #1 or says someone else is favourite... it simply means... nadal is the form player going into the hard season... no more, no less... and its not a word of a lie either...

it must be tough when you are not ready to step down off the throne... especially when you consider your rival plays an inferior brand of tennis...
affirmative. until Fed fully embraces the new imperatives and the new reality and then decides to do something about it, he will continue to be frozen.

talk is just talk. its cheap. Nadal is gracious and never says anything but kind word about others but deep inside, there has never been a more proud and more determined warrior.

Fed needs to choose his words carefully.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:30 AM   #200
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That quote is more than two years old already...

Quote:

No, you both are twisting his words. He was ASKED who he considered the best players on HC, and of course, with last year's results in mind, he thought Djoko to be the second best player after himself, but he instantly added that he thought Nadal would probably be a force, 'perhaps the 3rd best player' as well. Seeing as this interview was held before any ball on HC had been played, it's more a compliment to Rafa than anything else, as many others had most probably not even mentioned his name, with Rafa's achievements on the US HC courts the past few years in mind...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:43 AM   #201
country flag RogerFan82

RogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond repute

Fed has become too stubborn to change his game and play a bit more conservative this year, especially when he is shanking a lot of FHs . He continues to go for broke, when a smarter strategy would be to mix the pace of his shots and get into a few rallies. The way he played against Simon, was exactly the way he played against Ramirez hidalgo at MC. He was lucky to escape that day, when RRH choked, while Giles took advantage of Fed's UEs.

Hopefully Higeuras or someone else in his team, can force him to reconsider his strategy for the rest of the season.

Spartan Rog

Slam No: 18 is coming soon.

RogerFan82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:17 AM   #202
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFan82 View Post
Fed has become too stubborn to change his game and play a bit more conservative this year, especially when he is shanking a lot of FHs . He continues to go for broke, when a smarter strategy would be to mix the pace of his shots and get into a few rallies. The way he played against Simon, was exactly the way he played against Ramirez hidalgo at MC. He was lucky to escape that day, when RRH choked, while Giles took advantage of Fed's UEs.

Hopefully Higeuras or someone else in his team, can force him to reconsider his strategy for the rest of the season.

he is not the only one. Becker was plenty resistant to change. there are countless other examples.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:26 AM   #203
country flag CyBorg

CyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond repute

Unless Roger gets his serve back he will continue to struggle. People talk about his forehand and backhand, but those are failing, because his confidence is failing. Roger was never the kind of guy to rely entirely on winning rallies. His serve was always there to get him out of trouble. Until this year.

If the serve comes back, the forehand and backhand will too.

'A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.'
- Bertrand Russell
CyBorg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:31 AM   #204
bad gambler

Quote:

Even if he did say before Toronto what was wrong with it? Hard to argue that Djokovic and Federer are not the top 2 HC players in the world based on the last 12 months.
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:31 AM   #205
country flag fast_clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papagena View Post
That quote is more than two years old already...
yes... i understand... it was a 'once upon a time' quote... and i dont think fed's opinion would have lowered any either... if he was being honest...
Old 07-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #206
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyBorg View Post
Unless Roger gets his serve back he will continue to struggle. People talk about his forehand and backhand, but those are failing, because his confidence is failing. Roger was never the kind of guy to rely entirely on winning rallies. His serve was always there to get him out of trouble. Until this year.

If the serve comes back, the forehand and backhand will too.

he did say after his loss at Toronto that he just couldnt get much mileage out of his serve.

i am not sure if he was complaining about the slow hard courts or what.

he said something similar after Nalby beat him at Madrid Masters (2007). he said that the courts were not fast enough. and then the following week he lost to Nalby again at Paris Masters (2007). i guess those courts were too fast.

bottom line is that he does have a fairly high degree of reliance on his big serve. it has produced serious dividends on the Wimby grass and on the hard courts. its a big weapon so why not take advantage of it.

does anybody know the stats on his serve against Simon in Toronto? did he serve at less than 50% or what?

he has to serve around 65%-70% or better in order to take full advantage of that big serve.

Last edited by Clay Death : 07-29-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #207
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad gambler View Post
Even if he did say before Toronto what was wrong with it? Hard to argue that Djokovic and Federer are not the top 2 HC players in the world based on the last 12 months.
Perhaps he should have based his assessment on this years results, in which case, of the three players...

1. Djokovic
2. Nadal
3. Federer
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #208
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute

This thread would'nt be here had he won Wimbledon, which was quite a close match btw.

Last year was better for him, yes, but he also lost more matches than his usual.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #209
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i think federer was happy just to cruise his way to history... and, its not hard to fly like an eagle when you're surrounded by geese... i am glad he has hit a speed bump here before he has reached it... for all the federer nuthuggers, deep down you should be happy he has hit tough times, for without a bit of hardship or rivalries, he reign would forever have been opened to question... he has said he hasnt appreciated the rivalry with nadal...

now he's forced to...
Eh...unless he can start beating Nadal on a regular basis his reign will forever be open to question, so why should Fed fans be happy that he is being given a whipping ? Had he won just one French Open against Nadal (2006), then perhaps that statement might hold true. As it is, as Bodo says how can he be considered a GOAT when he is getting milked by a player in his generation day in day out ? By the time Nadal is done with him there'll be nothing left for Mirka No good can come out of Nadal's dominance over Federer except for Nadal. Fed does not benefit from this. It diminishes him.
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #210
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Perhaps he should have based his assessment on this years results, in which case, of the three players...

1. Djokovic
2. Nadal
3. Federer

he also said just before that Toronto Masters that he was still #1. everything he says points to being in denial and not embracing the new imperatives.

he may also have pissed off Nadal by saying that Nadal is #3 on hard courts at best. its too bloody clear that what Nadal is accomplishing is quite historical.

he is winning on all surfaces and he is not exactly beating clowns in the process. he is beating the best out there.

i can help Fed but he has to start reading MTF.