Playing on synthetic grass...tips? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
country flag JM-Del-Potro

JM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Playing on synthetic grass...tips?

I'm going to play on a synthetic grass court...could you give me some advice about which shots pay on this surface,how to play well and if the bounce is irregular so much? Thanks in advance!

Nikolay Davydenko * Mikhail Youzhny * Mario Ancic * Janko Tipsarevic * Andrey Golubev * Amer Delic * JP Brzezicki * Mathieu Montcourt * Ilia Bozoljac * Kei Nishikori * Thiemo De Bakker * Blaz Kavcic * Jerzy Janowicz * Henri Kontinen * Grigor Dimitrov * Tim Smyczek * Marcelo Demoliner * Lars Poerschke * David Goffin * Yuki Bhambri * Marius Copil
JM-Del-Potro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Playing on synthetic grass...tips?

the best advice i can give you is dont play on synthetic grass, it is the worst surface in history
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #3

JM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond reputeJM-Del-Potro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar View Post
the best advice i can give you is dont play on synthetic grass, it is the worst surface in history
Unfortunately the tournament is on this surface...and I can't miss this one,it's one of the few tournaments I can play,here near my town

Nikolay Davydenko * Mikhail Youzhny * Mario Ancic * Janko Tipsarevic * Andrey Golubev * Amer Delic * JP Brzezicki * Mathieu Montcourt * Ilia Bozoljac * Kei Nishikori * Thiemo De Bakker * Blaz Kavcic * Jerzy Janowicz * Henri Kontinen * Grigor Dimitrov * Tim Smyczek * Marcelo Demoliner * Lars Poerschke * David Goffin * Yuki Bhambri * Marius Copil
Old 07-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Synthetic Grass Friendly Shots:

Heavy Sliced Serves
Flat 1st Serves
Backhand Slice
Chip/Open Faced Returns

(x 10 when wet)

Synthetic Grass isnt a bad surface.... unfortunately, many clubs misinterpret 'Low Maintenance' for 'No Maintenance' ... and in countries with wetter climates... the surface is dangerous much of the time... IMO.

The bounce is consistant... contistantly low... compared with clay or hardcourt. On a dry day with a bit of heat, a synthtic court without too much sand can present a ball that will 'pop' up to a height common with a quicker hardcourt.

A properly kept Synthetic Grass court will enable you to slide into shots much like a clay surface, as there is supposed to be a sandy film on top of the courts. However, in wetter climates, usually the sand washes away and is not reapplied as much as it needs to be.

A heavy ball with no spin or slice with come through the court and on to the racquet quicker - if u are tuned more to playing on slower surafces, the ball might actually feel as tho it is picking up speed off the bounce...

Thus...

a tactic that may be adopted is to chip/open face all returns early in a match where the conditions are super quick. I know of a nation that plays all its top level tournaments on the surface... and, the tactic used by the top players on return is 'Chip/Block 1st serves, Chip 2nd until you are into the match.'

Winning serve can be easy enough on this surface - yet, it is server friendly, therefore adopting a sound return tactic is perhaps the best way to approach a match on the surface.

Approaching the net from sliced shots is a good tactic in general play. As the bounce is generally low anyway, a sliced shot is even lower... if you are to attack from a decent slice - either short or deep - then, the defender will be forced to play the ball up...

Study the backround of the player you are up against.. maybe the surface is even more foreign to them - and, anything that works on you - will more than likely work on on them as well.

Good Luck...

ps: what is the climate like in the region you will be playing in...?
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #5
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute

I think that properly maintained synthetic grass courts are a dream, but then again these are the courts that I've learned to play tennis on. As someone of basically no experience of other courts I can't really compare things for you, fast_clay's advice seems very good.

I don't find the bounce to be irregular as long as the courts are well maintained, the only bad bounces you tend to get are off of the lines which is to be expected. The only health risk is too much or not enough sand, particularly in wet conditions.
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:28 AM   #6
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Don't fall. You'll get buuuuurnt.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
Synthetic Grass Friendly Shots:

Heavy Sliced Serves
Flat 1st Serves
Backhand Slice
Chip/Open Faced Returns

(x 10 when wet)

Synthetic Grass isnt a bad surface.... unfortunately, many clubs misinterpret 'Low Maintenance' for 'No Maintenance' ... and in countries with wetter climates... the surface is dangerous much of the time... IMO.

The bounce is consistant... contistantly low... compared with clay or hardcourt. On a dry day with a bit of heat, a synthtic court without too much sand can present a ball that will 'pop' up to a height common with a quicker hardcourt.

A properly kept Synthetic Grass court will enable you to slide into shots much like a clay surface, as there is supposed to be a sandy film on top of the courts. However, in wetter climates, usually the sand washes away and is not reapplied as much as it needs to be.

A heavy ball with no spin or slice with come through the court and on to the racquet quicker - if u are tuned more to playing on slower surafces, the ball might actually feel as tho it is picking up speed off the bounce...

Thus...

a tactic that may be adopted is to chip/open face all returns early in a match where the conditions are super quick. I know of a nation that plays all its top level tournaments on the surface... and, the tactic used by the top players on return is 'Chip/Block 1st serves, Chip 2nd until you are into the match.'

Winning serve can be easy enough on this surface - yet, it is server friendly, therefore adopting a sound return tactic is perhaps the best way to approach a match on the surface.

Approaching the net from sliced shots is a good tactic in general play. As the bounce is generally low anyway, a sliced shot is even lower... if you are to attack from a decent slice - either short or deep - then, the defender will be forced to play the ball up...

Study the backround of the player you are up against.. maybe the surface is even more foreign to them - and, anything that works on you - will more than likely work on on them as well.

Good Luck...

ps: what is the climate like in the region you will be playing in...?
Thanks

The weather here is very hot,now in summer it's usually about from 25° C to 35° C...but of course I think they let me play at 18-18.30 pm so temperature is lower than normal

Old 07-13-2008, 02:49 AM   #8
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Consistent, medium to low bounces and not that fast.

Nice court to slide on as well.

Slices work well on this court.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
country flag Knightmace

Knightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond reputeKnightmace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Don't fall. You'll get buuuuurnt.
I HATED THAT!
Knightmace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM-Del-Potro View Post
Thanks

The weather here is very hot,now in summer it's usually about from 25° C to 35° C...but of course I think they let me play at 18-18.30 pm so temperature is lower than normal

ok... sounds quite warm...

you should get a bit of extra time on the ball the hotter/drier it is - so less abbreviation of your swings... should be able to take a swing return at some second serves...
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #11
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if I'm too late.

Looks like you've had great tips so far. Just remember synthetic grass is lightning fast so you'll need to adapt your game. Serve-volley a lot, the slice serve will be very effecting on this surface, flat hitting will get you lots of winners. Just play a very aggressive game and you should be ok. Remember though, the bounce is very low and skiddy so you'll need good early prep on your groundstrokes.

Best of luck.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
Sorry if I'm too late.

Looks like you've had great tips so far. Just remember synthetic grass is lightning fast so you'll need to adapt your game. Serve-volley a lot, the slice serve will be very effecting on this surface, flat hitting will get you lots of winners. Just play a very aggressive game and you should be ok. Remember though, the bounce is very low and skiddy so you'll need good early prep on your groundstrokes.

Best of luck.
Thanks

Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #13
country flag tennistim

tennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond repute

Because the ball shoots through, you have to elongate the shape of your ground strokes.

The best example I can think of is Jimmy Connor's backhand - his stroke was straight back and straight forward. That's what I mean by elongated.

You will hit the ball with less mis hits and also the ball stays lower for your opponent.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #14
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM-Del-Potro View Post
Thanks
How did you get on then, Del Potro? Time for an update.

I have a match tomorrow on fake grass. It suits my game pretty well, although I know the guy I'm playing is an extremely attacking player, coming to the net on practically anything so it could be tricky.
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote