General Timewasting Thread (Taking too long in between points) - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #16
country flag hilluis

hilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

Isnt it 20 seconds between points in a Slam and 25 in other tournaments? Have timed Rafa and he averages around 30-35 seconds..... he got the warning in the Federer match and did speed up to about 25. However, there were points where he took longer than that to serve and no point penalty came. It never will, unless it is Davydenko who the umpires seem to like to pick on.
hilluis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #17
country flag Albatros99

Albatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
20 seconds in between first and second serves.
Where does it say so? I would like to see the exact phrasing to conclude whether Nadal goes by the rules or not.
Albatros99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
country flag aroofnow

aroofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sure, the umpires have warned him once, but it has failed to get through. There are rules there that could give Nadal a point penalty for excess timewasting, but like I said before, the rule is there, and it's not enforced.
I agree. There have only been token warnings. On Sunday Nadal frequently took longer than on the actual occasion he was warned, but the umpire did nothing. If umpires did what they're supposed to, the timewasting would soon stop. So long as they continue to let it go unpunished, it will only get worse.
aroofnow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #19
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Check the rules here.

http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medi...3_original.PDF

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #20
country flag hilluis

hilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it should be two warnings and then the point penalty. That way it doesnt appear quite so harsh to the player and the crowd... who could get too involved about it. It is annoying that they dont enforce the rules. It can also make it really boring to watch when you feel as if you are waiting for that painful serve to come.
hilluis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #21
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

It comes under Code Violation/Delay of Game.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-08-2008, 11:40 AM   #22
country flag Albatros99

Albatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
from that document...

Between points, a maximum of twenty (20) seconds is allowed. When the
players change ends at the end of a game, a maximum of ninety (90) seconds
are allowed. However, after the first game of each set and during a tie-break
game, play shall be continuous and the players shall change ends without a
rest.

But that is the rule for ITF events. Nadal plays ATP events and from Wikipedia

A tennis match is intended to be continuous.[24] Stamina is a relevant factor, so arbitrary delays are not permitted. In most cases, service is required to occur no more than 20 (ITF events)[24] or 25 (ATP and WTA events) seconds after the end of the previous point.

So, it is 25 seconds between points. Now, the point (pun intended) is when does a point finish? When the error or winner is hit? When the player gets the ball from the ball boys? Anyone care to explain?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #23
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

D. TIME VIOLATION / DELAY OF GAME

Following the expiration of the warm-up period play shall be continuous and a
player shall not unreasonably delay a match for any cause.
A maximum of twenty (20) seconds shall elapse from the moment the ball goes out
of play at the end of the point until the time the ball is struck for the first serve of the
next point. If such serve is a fault then the second serve must be struck by the server
without delay.

When changing ends a maximum of ninety (90) seconds shall elapse from the
moment the ball goes out of play at the end of the game until the time the first serve
is struck for the next game. If such first serve is a fault the second serve must be
struck by the server without delay. However, after the first game of each set and
during a tie-break, play shall be continuous and the players shall change ends
without a rest period.

At the conclusion of each set, regardless of the score, there shall be a set break of
one hundred and twenty (120) seconds from the moment the ball goes out of play at
the end of the set until the time the first serve is struck for the next set.
If a set ends after an even number of games, there shall be no change of ends until
after the first game of the next set.

The receiver shall play to the reasonable pace of the server and shall be ready to
receive within a reasonable time of the server being ready.
The first violation of this Section shall be penalised by a Time Violation warning
and each subsequent violation shall be penalised by the assessment of one Time
Violation point penalty.

When a violation is a result of a medical condition, refusal to play or not returning to
the court within the allowed time a Code Violation (Delay of Game) penalty shall be
assessed in accordance with the Point Penalty Schedule.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #24
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatros99 View Post
So, it is 25 seconds between points. Now, the point (pun intended) is when does a point finish? When the error or winner is hit? When the player gets the ball from the ball boys? Anyone care to explain?
ATP it's 25 seconds and it's from when the score is called by the umpire.

In other words, he wastes time and gets away with it and will continue to do so.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #25
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

if u think nadal is getting special treatment , ur wrong.

if u think he takes more time deliberately , ur wrong.

if ur whining, thats okay.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #26
country flag Albatros99

I have just counted the senconds Nadal took to serve from the moment the previous point was finished in his first serving game in the fith set against Federer (Federer leading 1-0). Nadal didn;t take longer than 18 seconds in any of his serves, 7 seconds shorter of the maximum allowed 25 seconds.

I will check now the final game of the match.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #27
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove View Post
if u think nadal is getting special treatment , ur wrong.

if u think takes more time deliberately , ur wrong.
Of course u know it better, don't u?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #28
country flag Albatros99

Quote:
ATP it's 25 seconds and it's from when the score is called by the umpire.

In other words, he wastes time and gets away with it and will continue to do so.
probably you don't have on your computer the last Wimbledon final for obvious reasons. I do. So you have to trust me on this one

I checked one game randomly and he never went beyond 18 seconds. Now I'll check the final game.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #29
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
I have just counted the senconds Nadal took to serve from the moment the previous point was finished in his first serving game in the fith set against Federer (Federer leading 1-0). Nadal didn;t take longer than 18 seconds in any of his serves, 7 seconds shorter of the maximum allowed 25 seconds.

The Slams aren't run by the ATP first of all, they are under the ITF. Do it for the whole match, if you are convinced that he doesn't take more than the alloted time.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #30
country flag Sebby

Sebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Check when he's facing a break point... it can go easily over 30 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
i can help Fed but he has to start reading MTF.
Sebby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote