General Timewasting Thread (Taking too long in between points) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
country flag aroofnow

aroofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond repute
Default General Timewasting Thread (Taking too long in between points)

Apart from Nadal himself, is it the fault of the umpires for being too lenient, or are they under instructions to go easy on him? Officials certainly appear reluctant to do anything to upset him. Or should his opponents be complaining to the umpires more about it?

Secondly, is Nadal's timewasting deliberate gamesmanship, or a consequence of his supersized ego and over-inflated opinion of himself, or due to something else?
aroofnow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal's timewasting - who's to blame?

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
country flag gjr

gjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond reputegjr has a reputation beyond repute

It's down to something else. He's been doing it for so long now it's probably 2nd nature. The ATP need to sit down with Rafa and Nole and tell them it's not on.

The new players comming up will take it up and in 5 years there will be loads of them doing it.

Bad for tennis IMO.
gjr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Umpires have to enforce the rules, even handedly, they don't.

Next topic to bitch about.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

That's taboo, just like doping...
Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi View Post
Sorry, but it is a justified subject to discuss, even if it all comes down to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
Umpires have to enforce the rules, even handedly, they don't.

Next topic to bitch about.
So there's your answer.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
country flag ToniTennis

ToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond reputeToniTennis has a reputation beyond repute

OK,

Firstly, is Nadal the only one that apparently does so? It's hard to believe that not other players do the same.

Secondly, his massive ego? dude you Rafa haters should focus on something else.

And don't get me wrong; if he regularly exceeds the time he should be penalized accordingly and that might be a good motivation to change that attitude, as he has done with the improvements of his game but, as I see it, that's just a part of him being so concentrated when playing. Anyway, do other players complain about it and make such a big deal or is it just you guys?

His massive ego?
ToniTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
country flag groundstroke

groundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond reputegroundstroke has a reputation beyond repute

He is often warned by umpires, actually. I think it happened to Nadal and Djokovic (warned by umpire for extreme gamesmanship) at the French Open this year somewhere in the second set.
Eventually an umpire will hate him and he will warn him 2+ times, then Nadal will hurry up.
It's not like Nadull does this alone, Djokovic and many others do it.
groundstroke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Federer has complained about it. I know Fernando Gonzalez mentioned it to Carlos Bernades before their AO quarter final, when Gonzo thrashed him.

Ljubicic has mentioned in their matches and then there was this obvious displeasure at the timewasting.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
country flag aroofnow

aroofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond reputearoofnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjr View Post
The ATP need to sit down with Rafa and Nole and tell them it's not on.

Bad for tennis IMO.
I agree with you that it's bad for tennis, but I don't agree that officials should be sitting down with Nadal to explain it's not on. He is fully aware of both the rules and what he is doing. As PMK says, umpires should be enforcing the rules. If he is routinely exceeding the time limit, as he is, and by a considerable amount, he should be penalized. So that the player can be certain of how much time he has, large clocks counting down to zero could be installed at each end of the court, rather like in American Football.
aroofnow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
country flag Sebby

Sebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond reputeSebby has a reputation beyond repute

Umpires are cowards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
i can help Fed but he has to start reading MTF.
Sebby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Sure, the umpires have warned him once, but it has failed to get through. There are rules there that could give Nadal a point penalty for excess timewasting, but like I said before, the rule is there, and it's not enforced.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #13
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

Remember when Agassi went to sit in a line judge's chair at one point Adorable.
oranges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #14
country flag Albatros99

Albatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatros99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
Umpires have to enforce the rules
What do the rules say? Anyone could point to me to the exact wording of the rules concerning how long a player should take to serve?
Albatros99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #15
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatros99 View Post
What do the rules say? Anyone could point to me to the exact wording of the rules concerning how long a player should take to serve?
20 seconds in between first and second serves.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1