Top Spin 3 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-04-2008, 01:54 AM   #16
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top Spin 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaFed2005 View Post
I got this game yesterday fro the 360 and OMG the game is complete trash... Topspin 2 was sooo good wtf happened...
This game is so retarded the control is aweful... ahlf the time I am holding the button and trying to change direction of the ball and the guy just stands there posing... Returning serves is aweful... controlling serve is terrible....
What a waste of 60 bucks +tax....
Ph and when you play with your friends the game does not switch your positions at all... and i saw no options anywhere to change this. Basically if you are in the bottom of tv and your friend is on top it stays that way the entire match instead of switching your sides every odd game...

This is by far the worst tennis game I have played in a while. They focused so much on the graphics that the gameplay just isn't there at all.... the controls are terrible...

yea so anyway topspin 2 is 10 times better than this trash
It's much better than Top Spin 2. It's obvious from what you wrote that you don't understand how the controls work because if you do then none of the control problems you list exist and it plays fantastic.
moon language is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 01:59 AM   #17
country flag moon language

moon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond reputemoon language has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post
Is anyone able to hit a decent drop shot?

Everyone I hit gets dumped into the net
Mine never go in the net, but they usually are not very good. They are more like short slices with too much air under them than true drop shots. I need to experiment with trying risk drops shots as that may be the key to hitting great ones that barely make it over the net.
moon language is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:05 AM   #18
country flag The Freak

The Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of annoying at first, but once I got used to the controls It's pretty cool.

Tim Henman--Gael Monfils--James Blake--Rafael Nadal--Jo-Wilfried Tsonga--John Isner--Andy Murray--Janko Tipsarevic--Juan Martin Del Potro--Donald Young--Nick Kyrgios--Mardy Fish--Richard Gasquet--David Ferrer--Somdev Devvarman.

The Freak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:02 AM   #19
country flag JimmyV

JimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond reputeJimmyV has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome game once you get used to the controls.
JimmyV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:09 AM   #20
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I've played this game for over a week.

This is hands down the best tennis simulator ever made at this point. The learning curve is pretty steep, and initially it seems you need a PHD in Quantum Physics just to gave a decent rally. Once you get used to the controls its actually a very good tennis simulator with accurate replications of spin, angle and power which are true to the real sport. It helps that they seemed to have fixed the AI which no longer do stupid shit like drop shots and risk shots every second point (which they did a lot in the previous games). On the higher difficulties they actually employ some realistic tactics such as pushing you out wide and then hitting it down line, wrong footing and appropriate net approaches.

The real strength in the game is in the variety it gives you. When you get good at the game, point construction is entirely possible and a breath of fresh air compared to the relentless ball bashing found in Virtua Tennis franchise. Pretty much all shots from short angle slices, powerful flat strokes, deep/short angle topspin and my personal favourite, the on the run slice defence shots. The game allows you to play any style you want, from James Blake-esque ballbashing to Fabrice Santoro style slice bamboozling. Its nice to see that they have made the slice a useful shot, rather than gimping it like VT3 did.The volleying I still haven't quite worked out yet, but I have seen the AI on very hard do some excellent volleys on the stretch so it can be done. The frequency of errors is this game is surprisingly abundant, they happen often just like in real tennis, but once you get good at the game, they only occur when you try unrealistic shots on the defence or if you time a shit particularly poorly. Serving is okay if a little hard to aim. Again the game lets you hit every serve in the book, but I do feel that Top Spin 2 is superior in this area.

The risk shots seem pretty useless to me, as they go out half the time and don't seem to be that much better when you actually get them in. I've not managed to pull off a decent droppy yet, except for ones that land over the service box...

The game isn't perfect by any means. The biggest weakness has to be the forehand side animations. While some do look quite nice, there are particular ones which make Serena Williams look a graceful ballerina on court. Compared to the backhand animations, which are superb, they are certainly a letdown and spoil the look of rallies which otherwise look almost like replicas of real life tennis. Like in the old games, its still pretty much impossible to run around the backhand to hit a forehand unless you get an extremely weak reply, or you like hitting patty cake forehands because you didn't have time to charge up while slowly moving to the backhand cornor.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo

Last edited by leng jai : 07-06-2008 at 07:19 AM.
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #21
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Good analysis mate.

I still like the risk shots though, I think it adds to the game. I mean, there's definitely times in real tennis where a guy opts to go for more on his shots. The extra power (R2) isn't so useful, but the closer to the lines (L2) can be effective.

Serving I agree is tough, but I played against a guy online who was playing as Roddick and was unbreakable, he could put the ball wherever he wanted. So maybe it'll come with time. I still can't hit a drop shot to save my life though. My volleying has improved, I've finally worked out how to make sure every ball doesn't go straight past me.

I don't mind the animations so much, Virtua Tennis is probably slightly more pleasing on the eye but TS is good enough. My main complaints would be the lack of real players (just 8 or something) and the crowd noise is really bad, and pretty inexcusable it isn't hard to get that right.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #22
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

So can you enlighten me on how to volley?

BTW...you haven't accepted my friends request yet on PSN.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:54 AM   #23
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
So can you enlighten me on how to volley?

BTW...you haven't accepted my friends request yet on PSN.
I usually slice and come to the net, as I'm coming in I hold the button (usually X). You have to release quite early though, pretty much just after the opponent has hit the passing shot. Sometimes I use the risk buttons on volleys as well, it seems the timing doesn't have to be quite as exact as it does for groundstrokes.

Also, you need to try get tight to the net, otherwise the ball bounces before you and the guy goes for a ridiculous winner.

Ooh I didn't see it, I'll add you
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote