help picking string and tension - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default help picking string and tension

Hey i just switched from the dunlop aerogel 300 (low-med. power) to the aerogel 500 tour (med. power) in order to get more spin and an extra .2 ounces on the racket. I strung it @ 60 lbs Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power. My strokes are deeper, but they have a tendency to float long and it feels like my shots have LOST some pace. My serve gets more spin because of the string pattern (16x18) but it feels like it lost some pop. I get more than enough spin on the ball already so I'm not really looking for a spin string. I get it strung @ a club so I don't really have that many options:

Gamma Zo Tour
Gamma Asterik 16
Gamma Asterik 16 Spin
Prince synthetic Gut
& maybe a few HEAD strings

Which one is best, and at which tension should i string it at (my normal is 60 for Zo tour and 59 for Asterik 16)

Oh yea, if you wanna include your ability level/status it would be helpful........
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help picking string and tension

instead of switching rackets to a racket with one less cross string, you could have simply added a couple of grams of lead tape to the top of the head of the racket
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:23 AM   #3

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar View Post
instead of switching rackets to a racket with one less cross string, you could have simply added a couple of grams of lead tape to the top of the head of the racket
Also needed the extra 2sq in. of realestate for netplay*, and its7 pts stiffer than my Aerogel 300*
Old 06-28-2008, 01:53 AM   #4
country flag gaz

gaz has a reputation beyond reputegaz has a reputation beyond reputegaz has a reputation beyond reputegaz has a reputation beyond reputegaz has a reputation beyond reputegaz has a reputation beyond reputegaz has a reputation beyond reputegaz has a reputation beyond reputegaz has a reputation beyond reputegaz has a reputation beyond reputegaz has a reputation beyond repute

if i was you i would go for the prince synthetic gut as it is a good run of the mill string

i would a babolat string cos i think theyhave the best strings to be honest and a very good range

but from the sound of it i want a string that is not that stiff and prob single wrap if that makes sense

as you wanted ti know my standard etc
i am a performance coach in the uk and have the ukrsa pro qualification and have strung at top pro events in the uk
gaz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve View Post
Also needed the extra 2sq in. of realestate for netplay*, and its7 pts stiffer than my Aerogel 300*
rackets with smaller headsizes are better for volleying
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #6

Just wanted to give an update: After about 4 hrs. of hitting, I have gotten used to the racket, and broken the strings in. My groundstrokes are better than before, and my serve is almost back to the level it was before. I guess the AG500 Tour just took some getting used to.