Tiny Shetland island declares independence from the UK - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
country flag Fensler
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Fensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tiny Shetland island declares independence from the UK

-->Reuters article found here and Daily Mail article with photos found here.

Quote:
Tiny Shetland island declares independence

By Kate Kelland
Sat Jun 21, 12:19 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - The owner of a tiny island in off Scotland declared its independence from the United Kingdom on Saturday, saying he wanted the territory, population one, to be a crown dependency like the Channel Islands.

In a declaration on his Web site, Stuart Hill, who owns the 2.5 acre island of Forvik in the Shetland Islands in the North Sea, said he no longer recognised the authority of the government or the European Union, and cited a centuries-old royal marriage dowry deal as the basis for his claim.

"Forvik owes no allegiance to any United Kingdom government, central or local, and is not bound by any of its statutes," Hill wrote

Hill, 65, has lived in the Shetland Islands on the edge of the Atlantic since 2001, when his boat capsized there during an unsuccessful attempted to circumnavigate Britain.

He is Forvik's only resident, and his home is a tent on the storm-battered island. He says on his website that he plans to create Forvik's own currency -- the "gulde" -- print his own stamps and raise his own flag.

"There will be no income tax, VAT (value added tax), council tax, corporation tax, or any of the other taxes instituted by the British government," Hill wrote.

Hill's claim dates back to a 15th century arrangement between the Norwegian King Christian and King James III of Scotland when the Shetland Islands were effectively pawned to King James in lieu of a marriage dowry.

According to Hill's studies of the history of the island, in 1669 King Charles II re-confirmed Shetland's status at the time of the pawning, meaning the islands remained directly answerable to the crown -- represented today by the Queen.

"The monarchs and governments of Scotland, and Great Britain and the United Kingdom have for many years assumed powers over these islands of Shetland to which they were not entitled," he wrote.

"By declaring Forvik a crown dependency I am simply re-establishing the correct legal relationship between this part of Shetland and the crown.

Hill said he had written to the Queen offering his services as "steward" and recognising her as head of state.

"I also invite anyone from any country in the world, who supports these aims, namely to become free of liars, thieves and tyrants in government, to become a citizen of Forvik," he added.

Quote:

More quotes from the Daily Mail piece, which, of course, made sure to include the part in bold.

Quote:
'Shetland's relationship with the UK is based on the assumption that it is part of Scotland,' he said. 'That assumption is based on deception at the highest level, has been achieved by subterfuge, and nobody can give a date on which it happened.

He dismissed suggestions that this was yet another stunt by an Englishman out of touch with local views.

'The worst thing that could happen is that people just ignore me. But I think I am sufficiently abrasive from this position for people to take note and to realise that the advantages of what I am doing could be very attractive to Shetland as a whole

Pre-Copernican beliefs in the modern world: "56% think the Sun rotates around the Earth."
---

When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.
Fensler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
country flag Manon
@Casteldurante

Manon has a reputation beyond reputeManon has a reputation beyond reputeManon has a reputation beyond reputeManon has a reputation beyond reputeManon has a reputation beyond reputeManon has a reputation beyond reputeManon has a reputation beyond reputeManon has a reputation beyond reputeManon has a reputation beyond reputeManon has a reputation beyond reputeManon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiny Shetland island declares independence from the UK

called

Novak Djokovic, Huan Martin Del Potro, Monaco, Berdych....
Manon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
country flag G4.

G4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond repute

a Kosovan terrorist did it , so why not the Shetland
G4. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:04 AM   #4
country flag MusicMyst

MusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"There will be no income tax, VAT (value added tax), council tax, corporation tax, or any of the other taxes instituted by the British government," Hill wrote.
You figure it had to come down to money.
MusicMyst is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:36 AM   #5
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

It will be difficult, he's going to have to leave at some point and someone else could just claim ownership of the island. Since the territory would no longer be under the control of the UK, they wouldn't be able to enforce any legal right of his to it.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

It will affect British tennis

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to draw this country in the qualifying group for Euro 2012!
Old 06-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
country flag Richard_from_Cal

Richard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond repute

He sleeps in a dome tent. Gotta be an alright bloke!

…”A HOBO Travels to work,
A tramp travels and won't work
A bum neither travels or works”
-=-=-=-=-=-
…hobotraveler (link <--it's a site by hobos, for hobos...it's very slow)…

Nomad Backpackers <--link
Richard_from_Cal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:44 AM   #9
country flag Fensler
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Fensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond repute

The Flag of Forvik:

Forvik Declaration

The part in bold seems to be modeled after a certain other country's declaration of independence.

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are entitled to certain inalienable rights and that among these are life, freedom and the expression of their full potential.

To secure these rights, a Government is instituted, deriving its just powers from the consent of the governed. Whenever any form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, or when there is a long train of abuses and usurpations, it is the right and duty of the people to alter or to abolish it. Then to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organising its powers in such form, as shall seem most likely to effect their security and prosperity. In Shetland there has been for many years abuses and usurpations by both government and Crown. They include, but are not limited to, those in the following indictment.

Forvik Citizenship
Quote:
Prices:
Landowning citizenship: 2 Forvik Gulden
Honorary citizenship: 1 Forvik Gulde

The Gulde is a gold-backed real currency. 1 Gulde is about £60 sterling. There are 100 groats in a Gulde. One groat is about £0.6.

Citizenship application
Quote:
Non Shetland residents can become honorary citizens of Forvik at a cost of one Forvik gulde, but cannot currently become land-owners. Honorary citizens support the aims and ideals of the Forvik State and benefit from a share of Forvik's profits as decided by the Ting.
According to the island's owner, big numbers of people have been applying for honorary citizenship in the last few days.

Pre-Copernican beliefs in the modern world: "56% think the Sun rotates around the Earth."
---

When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.
Fensler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

I want to be the first gay refugee

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsojose View Post
I want to be the first gay refugee
There's nothing else on the island but sheep. A few big rams among them, I suppose.