pundits predictions for Wimbledon 2008 - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-19-2008, 01:08 AM   #46
country flag Tnn74

Tnn74 has a reputation beyond reputeTnn74 has a reputation beyond reputeTnn74 has a reputation beyond reputeTnn74 has a reputation beyond reputeTnn74 has a reputation beyond reputeTnn74 has a reputation beyond reputeTnn74 has a reputation beyond reputeTnn74 has a reputation beyond reputeTnn74 has a reputation beyond reputeTnn74 has a reputation beyond reputeTnn74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pundits predictions for Wimbledon 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papagena View Post
As you know, I like both, and I'll be very happy if they both make it to the final again - I can only hope they will. But seeing all these journo's shamelessly jumping on a bandwagon - whichever - infuriates me. I bet they'll be the same ones to act as vultures when their predictions don't come true...
Easy now, Karin
you will get another Fedal Final,
only I am hoping for a reverse outcome from last year
we all know the only prediction which matter
is the one from the great historian...
the little round man with the funky pants...
what is his name... Oh! Bud Collins

>>PHENOMENADAL.COM
-Rafael Nadal Fansite! A Fresh Look.

-Still Slammin' for SAFIN. Forever.

Ferrero . Robredo . Nalbandian

I don't like Federer or Djokovic.
Tnn74 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #47
country flag sawan66278

sawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond repute

Though I want Rafa, Roger is still the favorite. Why? He has the best serve of the top three contenders, and, when push comes to shove, this is THE most critical aspect of grass court tennis.

Roland Garros 2010: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Quote:
"If going to the ledge so often, both mentally and physically, shaves a couple years off of Rafael Nadal's career, so be it. Because of him, and because of his performances in matches like this, we've gotten to see just how far the sport can push a man"

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/4...f95a57d421.gif
sawan66278 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:01 AM   #48
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan66278 View Post
Though I want Rafa, Roger is still the favorite. Why? He has the best serve of the top three contenders, and, when push comes to shove, this is THE most critical aspect of grass court tennis.
True. The serve is what won Federer the tournament last year.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:12 AM   #49
country flag luie

luie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond reputeluie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by guga2120 View Post
Roger is still the favorite, but he certainly got the cakewalk last year, let's hope its better this year.

I think Novak has decent chance to win, I don't want to see it happen, but I could see him winning.
I don't doubt NOVAK could win he is a good player but for him to do it he will have to get through both fed & nadal to do it not an easy task @ slams on any surface.
luie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:52 AM   #50
country flag Lucinda

Lucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond reputeLucinda has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see how it's bandwagony to suggest Nadal will win. He's playing better than he did last year (and he almost won Wimbledon then), plus Roger is playing worse overall. Some people are acting like there is no logical reason to think Nadal could win, which boggles me considering the facts.
Lucinda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #51
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucinda View Post
I don't see how it's bandwagony to suggest Nadal will win. He's playing better than he did last year (and he almost won Wimbledon then), plus Roger is playing worse overall. Some people are acting like there is no logical reason to think Nadal could win, which boggles me considering the facts.
Nobody (at least not the sane posters over here) says that Nadal can't win Wimbly this year. Rather the contrary, I think a lot of people rightfully pick him as one of the main candidates (I admit that I'm one of them).

But stating that He. Will. Indeed. Win. This. Year. - yes, that's bandwagonning, indeed. Fed's not retired, yet. Djoko is there as well. Not to mention quite a bunch of floaters which might well give him a nasty task along the way. Facing Reality... yes I know - it sucks.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:45 AM   #52
country flag yvonne_lingerie

yvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond repute

nadal lost in 4 sets in 2006 and then nadal lost in 5 sets in 2007 and now its 2008 and so nadal will win, its going to be really really fun
Old 06-19-2008, 05:12 AM   #53
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Why is Djoko third? He's never beaten Roddick or Murray on the Grass before.

I'd rank them Federer/Nadal/Roddick/Murray/Djokovic/Gasquet/Hewitt.

I don't really see grass clowns like Blake,Davydenko,Ferrer,Wawrinka or Nalby doing any damage.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:24 AM   #54
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post

I don't really see grass clowns like Blake,Davydenko,Ferrer,Wawrinka or Nalby doing any damage.
I shouldn't say anything because your post is so silly. However, look at their results on grass last and this year plus their rankings and hopefully you'll understand. There is a grass formula used at W to determine seeding. Your comment about Djokovic never beating Roddick or Murray on grass is hilarious . They never met on grass, so what. Can you give me ONE good reason why would Murray be seeded higher than Djokovic (he is ranked #11, didn't even play W last year)? I don't even know why I'm bothering to type this.

Last edited by Alex999 : 06-19-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:48 AM   #55
country flag T2KN

T2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond repute

I'm annoyed at how Rafa is pushed into this favorite's role. I think more players can threaten him on grass opposed to with Fed. Rafa has a really hard time with big servers/hitters imo. I was chewing my nails like crazy with the Nishikori and Karlovic matches. I don't think those players would've made Fed sweat like that tbh.

I mean, on what exactly are these pundits going? Fed's incredible grass streak? Perhaps Rafa has a mental advantage but Fed DEFINITELY has the edge on grass with him. Just no doubt about it. Though I do think Rafa's closer to winning from Fed on grass than Fed from Rafa on clay. But still, if I were a pundit (), I would've picked Fed to win Wimbledon. I hope the contrary of course.
T2KN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:06 AM   #56
country flag yvonne_lingerie

yvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond reputeyvonne_lingerie has a reputation beyond repute

but nadal didnt drop a set at last years wimbledon till the final and really should have won in the final he was up a break in the 5th set
Old 06-19-2008, 07:14 AM   #57
country flag Eden
Team Rogerin :-)

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonne_lingerie View Post
but nadal didnt drop a set at last years wimbledon till the final and really should have won in the final he was up a break in the 5th set
R 32 Nadal - Söderling 6-4 6-4 6-7(7) 4-6 7-5
R 16 Nadal - Youzhny 4-6 3-6 6-1 6-2 6-2
S Nadal - Djokovic 3-6 6-1 4-1 RET

Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:14 AM   #58
country flag T2KN

T2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond reputeT2KN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
R 32 Nadal - Söderling 6-4 6-4 6-7(7) 4-6 7-5
R 16 Nadal - Youzhny 4-6 3-6 6-1 6-2 6-2
S Nadal - Djokovic 3-6 6-1 4-1 RET

That's what I thought too.

I believe Fed didn't drop a set. If he did, it couldn't have been many.
T2KN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:17 AM   #59
country flag nkhera1

nkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond reputenkhera1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post

Roddick or Murray haven't beaten him on grass either. Besides Djokovic has gone farther than Murray ever has and Roddick won't be winning too many rallies against Djokovic especially backhand to backhand though I think that would be an intriguing match up. The past few years Roddick hasn't had the best results at Wimbledon and with his Djokovic's consistency on all surfaces I would say that gives him an edge.

I guess Roddick must be the greatest player to ever play the game.
nkhera1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:17 AM   #60
country flag Eden
Team Rogerin :-)

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHoColATe&Rafa View Post
I believe Fed didn't drop a set. If he did, it couldn't have been many.
He dropped a set in the QF against Ferrero 7-6(2) 3-6 6-1 6-3
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote