Help w/ setting up tourney brackets? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:02 AM   #1
country flag Laba

Laba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help w/ setting up tourney brackets?

Well then, I've been assigned to hold a two hour 'event' for some of the juniors in my tennis club, and whether its singles, doubles or whatever type of single/double elim or /swiss rounds is up to me. Problem is, there is an odd number turning up today, with that being five players.

So I'm sitting here with about five hours until it'll be on, throwing around a few ideas and writing some stuff down on paper... that I'm not liking. Advice and such would be appreciated. In the end there needs to be one winner who'll be awarded a trophy... so what would you do?

Single elim is too short and not practical for this. Double elimination brackets seem better, although I don't know if that would be good with a number of five entrants? I may be able to get a 6th person in as a "sub", who will really just be filler and not be there to try and win.

Five of 'em... ugh. I was thinking maybe some doubles games which then lead up to picking the top 4 of 'em who play semis and then a final?

Since it is only 2 hours, most likely each regular 'match' will be best of 3 service games or a super-tiebreaker.

Thoughts please? I could use the help.
Laba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
country flag ThizServe

ThizServe has a reputation beyond reputeThizServe has a reputation beyond reputeThizServe has a reputation beyond reputeThizServe has a reputation beyond reputeThizServe has a reputation beyond reputeThizServe has a reputation beyond reputeThizServe has a reputation beyond reputeThizServe has a reputation beyond reputeThizServe has a reputation beyond reputeThizServe has a reputation beyond reputeThizServe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help w/ setting up tourney brackets?

hmmmm...rank them from 1-5 (best to worst) A-G are the matches

a. 2v4
b. 3v5
c. winner of A plays 1
d. winner of B plays winner of C
e. loser of A plays loser of B
f. winner of E plays loser of C.
g. winner of D plays winner of F

hope this makes sense.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #3
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, IMO five is really one of the most uncomfortable numbers you could have wished. Playing elimination (single or double makes no difference for me, unless we have different imaginations about the modus) right away doesn't make much sense to me if you are able to choose the format. You would end up giving out three byes for the first round just to fill up for an 8-draw field.

And I would not play "best of three service games". As I understand it intuitively a 2-1 win for any player would be okay? Then it would be quite a big disadvantage who served first, right?

I would rather say play a super tiebreak or something like that.

And I would tend to make a five player group and play everybody against everybody. Disadvantage is you don't have a real "final", unless you say the top two players play again against each other in the final. Or make a special rule for the final like: The tiebreak from the group stage counts, and the player who won the tiebreak in the group stage needs another one. The player who lost the tiebreak in the group stage needs two in a row to win the final.

You need at least two courts, the rounds could be as followed:
1-4 5-3
3-1 4-2
2-5 3-4
1-2 4-5
5-1 2-3

Five rounds would be ideal for a super tiebreak as you should calculate with about 15-20 minutes for a close tiebreak and all the other things like player arriving at the court, finally starting to play, playing leaving the court, announcing the next match etc.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy

Last edited by Neely : 06-01-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

Just go with a round robin tourney, most points wins. U cant do best of 3 games though because person who serves first has an advantage. Go with best of four or if you have enough courts go with a best of six games. Everyone plays everyone so it doesn't matter if you have an odd number of kids
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote