Clay season Thread 2008 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #16
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clay season Thread 2008

In L'Equipe:
Le bilan du voyage à Rome restait pourtant plutôt positif : « J’ai plutôt bien aimé son attitude, soulignait Éric Winogradsky. Le fait que pour son premier match sur terre battue, dans un tournoi nouveau pour lui, il ait sans arrêt cherché la solution. Je trouve ça très encourageant. » D’autant plus encourageant que le genou a tenu sans problème. « C’est pourquoi j’ai quand même la banane aujourd’hui, soulignait le convalescent. Je suis content de mon attitude malgré la défaite. Ça n’a rien à voir avec Miami où, malgré une victoire, j’avais honte de ce que je faisais sur le court. »

Wino: "I quite liked his attitude. The fact that for his first match on clay, in a tournament which was new to him, he kept looking for a solution. I find that very encouraging."
And same thing for Jo: "I’m pleased with my attitude despite of the defeat. There's nothing to compare with Miami where I was ashamed of what I was doing on the court, even if I won a match."
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2008, 06:38 AM   #17
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

And some more quotes of Jo:
"Je n'ai pas à rougir. Cette défaite va m'apporter beaucoup, a-t-il assuré. J'ai montré que j'étais capable de renverser une situation. Je n'étais pas bien après le 1er set, mais, ensuite, j'ai réussi à jouer mon jeu. En plus, je n'ai ressenti aucune douleur au genou, c'est pour cela que j'ai la banane malgré la défaite."
"Après, sur les balles de match, la réussite n'a pas là, a-t-il regretté. Mais j'ai prouvé que j'étais capable de jouer sur terre battue. Maintenant, je n'ai qu'une envie c'est de rejouer sur cette surface. Bon, ce ne peut plus être à Rome, ce sera à Hambourg la semaine prochaine."
"Il faut que je m'acclimate à cette surface, mais je suis sur que je peux réussir", a-t-il continué à moins de deux semaines du début de Roland-Garros.
"A Roland-Garros, ce sera un Tsonga bagarreur, comme d'habitude, et qui a envie de jouer et de lever les foules", a-t-il promis, enthousiaste.

http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/07052008/...s-content.html
"I have nothing to be ashamed of. I’ll get a lot out of this defeat. I showed I was able to turn things around. I wasn’t in a good position after the 1st set, but I managed to play my game from then on. And I didn’t feel any pain in the knee, that’s why I’m all smile despite of the defeat.
As for the match points, I was unlucky. But I've proved I’m able to play on clay. Now I’m dying to play again on that surface. Rome is over for me, so it’ll be in Hamburg next week.
I need to adjust to the surface, but I’m sure I can do well on it.
In Roland-Garros, people will see a fighting Tsonga, as usual, a Tsonga who feels like playing and wants to make the crowd 'go wild'."
(He doesn't really say "go wild", I don't know how to translate "faire se lever les foules"... How do you say that in English?)

Last edited by Truc : 05-07-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #18
country flag Turquoise

Turquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond repute

Nice positive feedback. Thanks Truc as always.

"faire se lever les foules" - I think it's similar to "get the crowd on their feet". As we all know, he likes to get the crowd engaged in the match, and he feeds positively from their energy and support.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:22 AM   #19
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Truc

That's really interesting to see that he feels better in his head than at Indian Wells, despite the loss. More, he seems really eager to play on clay and that's promissing for Hamburg. I, sure, am pissed to be absent next week.

But for the moment let's just rejoyce that he didn't feel any pain in his knee during the match and hope that it will continue that way, especially this morning.

For "se lever les foules", I would say "to electrify the crowd", or something of the matter.

And to Turquoise for all the fighting spirit coming from you.

Edit: grillé par Turquoise
MacArthur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #20
country flag Truc

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to remember for next time, that's the kind of thing Gaël might say in an interview too. (Your English is much better than mine, Benoît, you should be doing all the translations.)

I'll be in Hamburg and I'm very curious to experience the Tsongamania live! He complained yesterday to the umpire that the photographers were photographing him all the time and that it was disturbing him ("after each shot, tac-tac-tac-tac-tac-tac" ), he really needs to get used to his new star status!
Old 05-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #21
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to remember for next time, that's the kind of thing Gaël might say in an interview too. (Your English is much better than mine, Benoît, you should be doing all the translations.)

I'll be in Hamburg and I'm very curious to experience the Tsongamania live! He complained yesterday to the umpire that the photographers were photographing him all the time and that it was disturbing him ("after each shot, tac-tac-tac-tac-tac-tac" ), he really needs to get used to his new star status!
he really said that poor Jo

you're going to Hamburg too( a few safinettes are going too), have fun there, and that means we'll have beautiful pics right?(you're good at taking pics)
amdany is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #22
country flag SelvenluvJo
Jo,Dimi,Rica,Ryan

SelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond repute

For some reasons, I can't watch this match .My friend send the result messages to me at the middle night in our nation time.I relly could't sleep at that night. But after saw all of your messages I don't feel disappoint about this match . I'm happy because he feels better . I'm proud of him too .
SelvenluvJo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #23
country flag Truc

There is a little interview again in L'Equipe today, but it's the same as yesterday:
Quote:
Comme le disait son entraîneur Éric Winogradsky, mardi soir très tard, à la sortie du court où Jo-Wilfried Tsonga venait de perdre contre Gilles Simon malgré trois balles de match consécutives dans le tie-break final (6-2, 4-6, 7-6), « on ne peut pas se satisfaire d’une défaite, pourtant ». Pourtant, effectivement, quelques minutes plus tard, aux alentours de minuit, le finaliste de l’Open d’Australie fit un point très positif sur son match de reprise sur terre battue.
« VOUS VENEZ de perdre mais on remarque un sourire assez net sur votre visage…
– Oui, parce que je n’ai pas à rougir de cette défaite ; une défaite qui va sûrement beaucoup me servir pour la suite. Après un premier set raté, j’ai vraiment réussi à entrer dans le court, à jouer mon jeu jusqu’au bout. La réussite n’était pas là vers la fin et j’ai commis l’erreur de regarder Gilles plutôt que la balle au moment de frapper mon smash sur la deuxième balle de match (qui a terminé dans le filet…) mais je retiens surtout que j’ai eu l’attitude qu’il fallait et que là, j’ai déjà envie de repartir sur le court. J’ai déjà hâte d’être à Hambourg.
– Avec des pistes précises d’amélioration ?
– Le but est de jouer un maximum de matches sur terre battue. Je sais que je suis capable de très bien jouer sur cette surface mais j’ai l’humilité de me dire que ça ne viendra pas d’un coup, en claquant des doigts. Il n’y a qu’en match qu’on peut constater ce qu’il y a vraiment à travailler, à changer. Là, je me suis rendu compte qu’il fallait aller plus au filet, que je me déplaçais bien – je rappelle que j’ai grandi sur terre battue et que j’aidonc ça en moi –mais que sur deux ou trois mouvements je pouvais avoir eu du mal. J’ai encore besoin d’un temps d’acclimatation et l’objectif est de rendre ce temps le plus court possible.
– Verra-t-on un grand Tsonga à Roland-Garros ?
– (Il réfléchit.) En tout cas, ce sera le Tsonga qu’on connaît, bagarreur, avec beaucoup d’envie, prêt à faire se lever les foules. »
He says he knows he's able to play very well on clay, but he also is humble enough to know it won't come overnight and he needs matches. That's the only way to realize what one needs to work on (for example, he realized against Gilles that he needed to come more to the net). He also means he moves well on clay, he grew up playing on that surface, it's natural for him, but he sometimes had a hard time on 2-3 movements ( I don't understand what it means in French either).
And when he says people will see in Roland-Garros a fighting Tsonga who wants to electrify the crowd, etc. it's actually his answer to the question "Are we going to see a big Tsonga in Roland-Garros? - (He thinks about it.) You will see at least a fighting Tsonga blablabla". So it doesn't sound as "boastful" as it maybe did by reading that quote out of context.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #24
country flag MacArthur

MacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond reputeMacArthur has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the compliment, Fran

If you feel bored about translating, you can let the french text and I will give it a try. But if it's too long, you should just give a brief résumé (I know I will do that )

About the movement, I've seen the highlights you posted on the Gilles Board, and I was under the impression that sometimes he was wasting time on special movement like (sorry in french, no idea of the english words) les reprises d'appui pour passer d'un coté à un autre ou certaines courses vers l'avant.

Anyway, what's really intersting is that he seems to greatly enjoy the surface and he has some weapons in his game who will be deadly on clay, like his touch with the dropshot or his knowledge at the net. So we have something to look forward in the future at Roland.

Yeah and l'équipe is his usual self. they adore make a semi-quote out of context one day, only to be followed the day after by the entire quote like saying " see, this guy is not as bad as you think " and, for themselves " you, fool, you've bought us two papers for one quote ".
Old 05-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #25
country flag Truc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacArthur View Post
About the movement, I've seen the highlights you posted on the Gilles Board, and I was under the impression that sometimes he was wasting time on special movement like (sorry in french, no idea of the english words) les reprises d'appui pour passer d'un coté à un autre ou certaines courses vers l'avant.
I don't know either how to say that, but I love to learn new words, if anybody else can help. The little hop just before the opponent hits the ball (to be able to move in another direction) is called "split step", as far as I know, but that's not exactly the same as "reprise d'appuis". You mean he was wasting time on the direction changes?
I didn't notice that, but I'm terrible at noticing this kind of things. I was focussing too much on the opponent too in this instance, but I actually forgot pretty soon about the knee by watching Jo, I expected him to look more "hampered" or cautious in his movement. I'll try to pay attention to it if I see him practicing in Hamburg.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #26
country flag SelvenluvJo
Jo,Dimi,Rica,Ryan

SelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond reputeSelvenluvJo has a reputation beyond repute

main draw
SelvenluvJo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #27
country flag MacArthur

Are you sure to have posted the good draw, Selvenluvjo ?

This is his section of the draw according to the draw posted in GM :

FEDERER Roger [SUI] (1) vs BYE
NIEMINEN Jarkko [FIN] vs SCHUETTLER Rainer [GER] (WC)
ANDREEV Igor [RUS] vs SODERLING Robin [SWE]
MAHUT Nicolas [FRA] vs TSONGA Jo-Wilfried [FRA] (14)

It's doable for the first match. Mahut can't find his tennis on clay. He is like mentally blocked by the surface. Andreev and Soderling can be really tough, so that's going to be harder. Then, it's Roger.

I would die for a serious Fed/Jo match.

I will come back saturday and just hope to see some good news then.

By the way, good trip to Françoise (alias Truc) at Hamburg. Have fun !

Last edited by MacArthur : 05-10-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:16 AM   #28
country flag Alex.
should be empty.

Alex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond repute

Mahut is a good first round, Andreev will be tough though. Love for him to take out Federer.
m. raonic : b. tomic : d. istomin
Alex. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #29
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

Order of play is out, he'll play tomorrow on Center court, it'll be the 2nd match
(1st match starts at 11h)
amdany is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #30
country flag Alex.
should be empty.

Alex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond reputeAlex. has a reputation beyond repute

0-6 7-6 (5) 6-2

The first set was horrendous. He didn't even seem to care if he lost or won. Pulled it out though.
m. raonic : b. tomic : d. istomin
Alex. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote