Two-handed V One-handed Backhand - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:54 AM   #16
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two-handed V One-handed Backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
Well, you are their coach so it's up to you, but I think if they are comfortable with their style and having a good time playing you should let them carry on as they are rather than remoulding their games. Many professionals past and present don't have a cast-iron perfect technique for some of their best shots, yet they are effective with it through years and years of practice.

Don't sweat it if they're struggling with their one-handers. Not many kids around still use it so I think we should embrace those that try.
They have fun in practice (beause they mess around most of the time) but they complain in matches asking me why they lose. And when I watch their matches, they completely dump their backhands, so what am I supposed to say? I use a one-handed backhand so I know how tough it is, but they aren't using backhands; they are trying to play racketball on a tennis court.

Professionals still virtually all follow the same techniques for every stroke. Obviously there are a few outliers such as Santoro, but even if you watch Santoro, the basic mechanics he uses are practically the same!
HKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #17
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

I use a one handed backhand. I don't have that great an arm span, so the extra reach I can gain through that shot is a welcome boost. I can generate a lot of topspin through it which causes problems for many people I face.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:09 AM   #18
country flag FootWork

FootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond reputeFootWork has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
They have fun in practice (beause they mess around most of the time) but they complain in matches asking me why they lose. And when I watch their matches, they completely dump their backhands, so what am I supposed to say? I use a one-handed backhand so I know how tough it is, but they aren't using backhands; they are trying to play racketball on a tennis court.

Professionals still virtually all follow the same techniques for every stroke. Obviously there are a few outliers such as Santoro, but even if you watch Santoro, the basic mechanics he uses are practically the same!
Tell them to quit F***ing around.
FootWork is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #19
country flag Spikeblocker

Spikeblocker is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Two-handed V One-handed Backhand

I use a one handed backhand myself. I want you to know that if you believe you can do it you can? I teach tennis but I teach with the Idea that you need all the tools you can master to win today? But it is far better to have a backhand that is 80% accurate, than an uncomfortable shot that is your worst stroke. Find an instructor that can teach you what you like? But remember that if you learn to Do It Right there are no cons and it is equally devastating to your opponents. Power can be hit with both strokes, reaching for the ball is the same for both strokes it is your job to position yourself to hit the ball regardless of stroke type. Reaching with a two handed backhand is just as bad a reaching with a one handed backhand. And it never hurts to learn something new, the least you could do is come out of the experience knowing more about the players who have the new stroke even if you don’t use it personally. It is said that Federer has more than 35 different forehand strokes at 75% to 80% accuracy. Keep learning.
Spikeblocker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote