First year Highschool player - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
country flag Le Jalapeno

Le Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond repute
Default First year Highschool player

Well, my first intentions were to join the tennis team to screw around because I have partied with the coach, and a couple of my buddies were playing to improve their football game or whatever. But after a couple practices I realized that tennis is a really fun and intense sport.

Well the actual matches start this week and there are still a couple big weaknesses, and I don't want to be the one to make our doubles team look like a joke.

First off, my serves are horrendous. I used to just punch both the first and second serves over, with just getting it in the service box as my goal. I have improved a little and now my first serves have follow through and little speed behind them. I would rather have a touch serve than a power one at the high school level, so is there any pro serve styles I could maybe imitate to get a serve with alot of spin?

Second, my backhands are pretty much non-existent. I was taught the two handed backhand stroke by my coach, but I can never get the topspin, or even make good ball contact unless we are running drills (even then its rare). So I picked up the backhand slice off a friend. And while it may be a good way to get the ball back over the net when you are sent running cross court, it ends up setting your opponent for the kill shot most of the time.

Any help would be lovely
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
country flag sheeter

sheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond reputesheeter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First year Highschool player

Still try to hit the two hander whenever possible. Don't get in the habit of slicing cause its hard to break. Good luck!!!
sheeter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
country flag Snakefangs

Snakefangs is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... all i can say is hours and hours of practice before the matches but getting decent enough to not look bad wont happen. Takes quite a while to become "good" of whatever meaning you have it as. I would say kick or slice serves since you wouldn't rather a power serve. Mastering these serves takes time.

Last edited by Snakefangs : 03-24-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Snakefangs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
country flag MathIsDelicious

MathIsDelicious is on a distinguished road

Try changing the grip about 45 degrees in the direction of for your dominant hand. So when you're going for a backhand the face is parallel to the net. This'll help so when when you make contact the ball won't be flying. You also want to make sure that you're pushing through the ball before you rip away.

Also, with serves, you typically want to use a backhand grip. I know it might sound weird, because it did to me at first, but now my serves are getting more consistent.
MathIsDelicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:12 AM   #5
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute

As far as serving goes try to get the slice serve down first and then build from there. throw the ball just high enough to reach the upper part of your racket when you hit and swind out towards the right fence if you are a righty (left fecnce for lefties) It's a pain in the butt to learn but it is the quickest way to make yourself not look like a fool against opponents.
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
country flag Le Jalapeno

Le Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond reputeLe Jalapeno has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have my normal serves down, and I'm working on the slice serve when I can. I have almost completely stopped slicing, at its worst its still only a 1 handed backhand. My strokes get better as I start losing (getting angry) but my judgment degrades, which is a big downfall.

So right now my biggest problem is my footwork(and my partners network ). At times I find myself dragging my back foot into position in the last step rather than taking lots of tiny steps. We won our first match by winning the 3 singles matches, and losing both doubles, but we lost every match in the second one.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
country flag Toko

Toko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond reputeToko has a reputation beyond repute

It's really all about practice. Just make sure you understand you don't become Federer overnight - it takes lots and lots of practice for the smallest details to improve - stamina, backhand, forehand, serve; they all take time.

For your serve, a good way to ensure a high percentage of first serve is what I used to do: when you throw the ball, don't throw it at one oclock, but rather make it inch left as it flies, then bend a little and hit it from behind your back - McEnroe style(except he realllly bent down).

That's my 0.02.
Toko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:50 AM   #8
country flag Topspin Sports

Topspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Sports has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: First year Highschool player

Do you mind if I throw a site out there? Basically it breaks down every shot into the fundamentals that YOU probably need. There are beginner articles on forehand, backhand, serve, overheads, volleys, and TONS more. Just browse around the site. I think it could help (yes I run the site by the way). Certified tennis Pros submitt all the articles too!

TopspinSports Free Online Lesson, Videos, and Tips

ENJOY and let me know what you think PLEASE!!! Id love feedback

Owner
Free Online Tennis Lessons
TopspinSports.com offers FREE Lessons, Videos, and Tips provided by world famous and local pros.

Ultimate Tennis Forum
Topspin Sports is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote