brazil: guille wins a match, but has still a lot of things to do... - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 02-15-2008, 11:44 PM   #46
country flag daze11
Registered User
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,531
daze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brazil: guille wins a match, but has still a lot of things to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichogaucho View Post
well, it seems I won't see Guille this year at Buenos Aires...perhaps for the best, I don't really want to see Guille's ghost hovering over the court
hey, what r u? some kind of coron or something?!!
__________________

K I N G C O R I A . C O M
I am a PROUD 'Coron'! VIVA EL MAGO!


daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 02-16-2008, 12:25 AM   #47
country flag jayjay
Registered User
 
jayjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,504
jayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brazil: guille prevails against aldi 6-4 7-5, next: pippo volandri!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deea View Post
Even though he lost by such a harsh score I heard good things about this match from people who managed to watch it. He df-ed much less (only 7 of them), his rallies were good but Volandri was on fire today and you all know he's not an easy player to beat.
Can't agree with any of these people who thought there were good things to come from the match. His rallies were poor rather than good. Instead of playing the normal Coria game that we are accustomed to (setting and developing the point), he went for winners straight from the off on far too many points. Especially on return.

The fact that Coria played an all round poor game is no great surprise, it's to be expected at this stage given his limited playing time and time away from the full tour. However, I just can't see how anyone watching that match could take anything positive from it other than the fact Coria was back in ATP action, which obviously is nice, but has no relevance to the performance itself.

If Coria wants to play more aggressively on return as he was, then it's a clear change of thought process, and not a good one. Being aggressive on serve was a change he didn't need to make and doing likewise with his all round game is also something he doesn't need to do.

He played some nice points that were reminders of vintage Mago, which was nice. All in all though, don't be fooled by positive reports/vibes from the match. It was as shocking as the score suggests. Volandri rarely had to exert himself and crushed the Coria serve which offset the fact he only served 7 doubles. It was just all a little too easy for Volandri.
jayjay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:26 AM   #48
country flag Guille's Girl
Registered User
 
Guille's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Skit World
Posts: 3,327
Guille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: brazil: guille prevails against aldi 6-4 7-5, next: pippo volandri!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Can't agree with any of these people who thought there were good things to come from the match. His rallies were poor rather than good. Instead of playing the normal Coria game that we are accustomed to (setting and developing the point), he went for winners straight from the off on far too many points. Especially on return.

The fact that Coria played an all round poor game is no great surprise, it's to be expected at this stage given his limited playing time and time away from the full tour. However, I just can't see how anyone watching that match could take anything positive from it other than the fact Coria was back in ATP action, which obviously is nice, but has no relevance to the performance itself.

If Coria wants to play more aggressively on return as he was, then it's a clear change of thought process, and not a good one. Being aggressive on serve was a change he didn't need to make and doing likewise with his all round game is also something he doesn't need to do.

He played some nice points that were reminders of vintage Mago, which was nice. All in all though, don't be fooled by positive reports/vibes from the match. It was as shocking as the score suggests. Volandri rarely had to exert himself and crushed the Coria serve which offset the fact he only served 7 doubles. It was just all a little too easy for Volandri.
Thanks for your wonderful report!!!!!!!!!!
__________________

Someday, we'll all be free.


!*~Guillermo Sebastian Mago Coria~*!
Guille's Girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:34 AM   #49
country flag Guille's Girl
Registered User
 
Guille's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Skit World
Posts: 3,327
Guille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brazil: guille prevails against aldi 6-4 7-5, next: pippo volandri!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolandriFan View Post
A very positive match for Guille. He was gracious in defeat and knows exactly where he stands, he's not expecting unrealistic things of himself and is content to gradually reach his level of play again. This is definitely the right attitude to have and I'm proud of him for remaining so mature and optimistic.
Thank you for your report.
I'm glad to hear that he doesn't have hard feelings about the match. THAT is ALWAYS something "good" and "positive".
Everything that has happened since he started playing challengers late last year has been gradual, and this is no different. So, I'm glad he has at least that much understanding.
Quote:
Thank you guys also for your kind words towards Filippo.
No problem mate! Corons have many haters, but we don't hate many
__________________

Someday, we'll all be free.


!*~Guillermo Sebastian Mago Coria~*!
Guille's Girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #50
country flag Deea
Registered User
 
Deea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Idiotic Optimist's Land :p
Age: 25
Posts: 8,096
Deea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brazil: guille wins a match, but has still a lot of things to do...

Jayjay, everybody is entitled to his/her opinion. If you think he was a mess ok, it's your opinion and I respect it. But that doesn't mean that now I'll start thinking he's done as a tennis player, as you suggested many times in GM. It's a free world, if you want to believe that ok, suit yourself. I don't want you to consider my post rude or something... And I honestly trust the opinion of those who told me there were good things that can be taken from this match with Volandri.

A month is a bit more than I expected to tell you the truth but I guess that as long he'll be on the practice courts trying to improve continously, maybe in the next tourney he'll be even more prepared. And I don't agree he should play challengers where he would beat players like Francesco Aldi. Guille needs quality opponents to truly go back to where he was. Playing with mediocre players won't do any good. Yes, he's probably gonna lose many matches when facing people from the Top 50 at the beggining but thats the only way he'll get accustomed to the high level of play that he's aiming at. And results will come. He's been away from the tour so much, it's normal that he doesn't start beating the good players already. He needs a lot of match practice, getting used again to the opponents, to the crowds, to the pressure, to the excitment of an official atp tennis match.

Vamos Mago, we're with you!
__________________
Goooo SAFIN ~ BERDYCH ~ MURRAY ~ SIMON ~ NALBANDIAN ~ SODERLING




Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer on Marat Safin, AO 2009
Anyway, I love playing against the guy. He brings something different to the tennis world with his character, the way he is on the court and the way he is off the court. He's larger than life.
Deea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #51
country flag Guille's Girl
Registered User
 
Guille's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Skit World
Posts: 3,327
Guille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brazil: guille wins a match, but has still a lot of things to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deea View Post
Jayjay, everybody is entitled to his/her opinion. If you think he was a mess ok, it's your opinion and I respect it. But that doesn't mean that now I'll start thinking he's done as a tennis player, as you suggested many times in GM. It's a free world, if you want to believe that ok, suit yourself. I don't want you to consider my post rude or something... And I honestly trust the opinion of those who told me there were good things that can be taken from this match with Volandri.

A month is a bit more than I expected to tell you the truth but I guess that as long he'll be on the practice courts trying to improve continously, maybe in the next tourney he'll be even more prepared. And I don't agree he should play challengers where he would beat players like Francesco Aldi. Guille needs quality opponents to truly go back to where he was. Playing with mediocre players won't do any good. Yes, he's probably gonna lose many matches when facing people from the Top 50 at the beggining but thats the only way he'll get accustomed to the high level of play that he's aiming at. And results will come. He's been away from the tour so much, it's normal that he doesn't start beating the good players already. He needs a lot of match practice, getting used again to the opponents, to the crowds, to the pressure, to the excitment of an official atp tennis match.

Vamos Mago, we're with you!
*gasp* How....DARE you???!!.....
Good post Deea. mucho props

Now that we've got people's opinions and freedoms sorted out, back to the issue at hand. I really, REALLY don't think he should be taking a month to be on a court again. If anything, it's a hinderance to his progress. Even if he's just playing challengers, he should be a on court playing matches. That's the main thing. But of course, we'll have to see what happens. Guille is in the driver seat and he has the ultimate say-so about all this...stuff.

Vamos Guille
__________________

Someday, we'll all be free.


!*~Guillermo Sebastian Mago Coria~*!
Guille's Girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #52
country flag VolandriFan
Registered User
 
VolandriFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Where the heart is
Posts: 7,730
VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brazil: guille wins a match, but has still a lot of things to do...

Does everyone like the idea of Guille playing challengers? It works for some people rebuilding their careers, but it can actually worsen the situation for others. I personally think it's better for Guille to play MM events and qualis over challengers, because I can see him losing even more confidence in that kind of tournament. Either road he chooses, the important thing is lots and lots of match play. If he keeps entering more events, his game is bound to click at some stage.
__________________
Filippo VOLANDRI, Pablo ANDUJAR, Fernando GONZALEZ, Juan Carlos FERRERO, Thomaz BELLUCCI,
Santiago GIRALDO, Tommy ROBREDO, Gilles SIMON, Juan Martin DEL POTRO, Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV


Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #53
country flag daze11
Registered User
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,531
daze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brazil: guille wins a match, but has still a lot of things to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolandriFan View Post
If he keeps entering more events, his game is bound to click at some stage.
this is the statement - it just has to click...he could lose 6-2 6-1 then lose 6-4 6-1 then all of a suddent win 2-6 6-4 6-2 and then win 6-1 6-1 and this would be like... and i could see it happening.

but no matter what he says, losing to volandri 6-2 6-1 was a set back in how he sees himself. they had a very close good match last time they played in umag (05) but it sounds like jayjay saw this match, and i could see that kind of thing, where he is going for winners without patience.

but that could be a coaching strategy....NOT to change his game. but to change his FEAR. we all know he is riddled with fear right now & is entirely too tight in front of an audience (from all reports, he is absolutely fine & even brilliant in practice) so maybe he was told 'just GO for it - hit the cobwebs out of your system.... sooner or later you will find your range & they'll go in. then you can add the touch shots etc.'

sounds like in this case volandri happened to be really ON for the day and so there was not mnuch time to practice this 'all out assault', but i am guessing he is not changing his strategy as a player, he is just attacking some ghoists & probably not a bad idea. plus the difference between his later performances and that of 03-04 was how aggressive he was in ADDITION to the patience, and that had gone away. he wont return to the top of competitive form unless he DOES get that aggressive portion back. he can not return as a defensive player and hope to make this comeback.

that said, and i havent read jayjay's comments in GM -- because i dont go there because it is lame-- i happen to think jayjay (if i may speak for you?) loves guillermo coria. he is just disappointed, and has been pushed beyond his natural patience. but if coria bounces back, he will be as happy as any of us.
__________________

K I N G C O R I A . C O M
I am a PROUD 'Coron'! VIVA EL MAGO!



Last edited by daze11 : 02-16-2008 at 03:52 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #54
country flag jayjay
Registered User
 
jayjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,504
jayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brazil: guille wins a match, but has still a lot of things to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deea View Post
Jayjay, everybody is entitled to his/her opinion. If you think he was a mess ok, it's your opinion and I respect it. But that doesn't mean that now I'll start thinking he's done as a tennis player, as you suggested many times in GM. It's a free world, if you want to believe that ok, suit yourself. I don't want you to consider my post rude or something... And I honestly trust the opinion of those who told me there were good things that can be taken from this match with Volandri.
No worries, I wasn't giving my opinion with the intention of you thinking he's done. I was just giving my opinion on what I saw and unfortunately it only reaffirms what I have felt for a while now, which is that Coria won't make the top 100 ever again.

What I think/see and what I hope for him are two different things. Don't get them confused.
jayjay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:38 PM   #55
country flag jayjay
Registered User
 
jayjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,504
jayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brazil: guille wins a match, but has still a lot of things to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
that said, and i havent read jayjay's comments in GM -- because i dont go there because it is lame-- i happen to think jayjay (if i may speak for you?) loves guillermo coria.
That's correct.

Quote:
he is just disappointed, and has been pushed beyond his natural patience.
I'm not disappointed. It would be great to see Coria doing well or even ok, but that isn't my main concern. I'm as fanatical a fan of Coria as there is, but I can also watch him play and say it as I see it. I'm not going to say he played well just because I like him. And I'm not going to make out things are improving with him, when what we know tells us something different.

Quote:
but if coria bounces back, he will be as happy as any of us.
That's correct.
jayjay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #56
country flag Guille's Girl
Registered User
 
Guille's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Skit World
Posts: 3,327
Guille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGuille's Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brazil: guille wins a match, but has still a lot of things to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
this is the statement - it just has to click...he could lose 6-2 6-1 then lose 6-4 6-1 then all of a suddent win 2-6 6-4 6-2 and then win 6-1 6-1 and this would be like... and i could see it happening.

but no matter what he says, losing to volandri 6-2 6-1 was a set back in how he sees himself. they had a very close good match last time they played in umag (05) but it sounds like jayjay saw this match, and i could see that kind of thing, where he is going for winners without patience.

but that could be a coaching strategy....NOT to change his game. but to change his FEAR. we all know he is riddled with fear right now & is entirely too tight in front of an audience (from all reports, he is absolutely fine & even brilliant in practice) so maybe he was told 'just GO for it - hit the cobwebs out of your system.... sooner or later you will find your range & they'll go in. then you can add the touch shots etc.'

sounds like in this case volandri happened to be really ON for the day and so there was not mnuch time to practice this 'all out assault', but i am guessing he is not changing his strategy as a player, he is just attacking some ghoists & probably not a bad idea. plus the difference between his later performances and that of 03-04 was how aggressive he was in ADDITION to the patience, and that had gone away. he wont return to the top of competitive form unless he DOES get that aggressive portion back. he can not return as a defensive player and hope to make this comeback.

that said, and i havent read jayjay's comments in GM -- because i dont go there because it is lame-- i happen to think jayjay (if i may speak for you?) loves guillermo coria. he is just disappointed, and has been pushed beyond his natural patience. but if coria bounces back, he will be as happy as any of us.
Very excellent post.
__________________

Someday, we'll all be free.


!*~Guillermo Sebastian Mago Coria~*!
Guille's Girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #57
country flag Fedeze14_gc
Registered User
 
Fedeze14_gc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 168
Fedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brazil: guille wins a match, but has still a lot of things to do...

i think that the guille's victory is the starting of the begin, vilas said 'he is winning points, he is winneing games, sets, now matches, everything is part of the process in his come back, and it will take time'......i hope that in Italy he can win some matches, or at least, carry more matches....!

c'mon coriaa!
__________________
Roger Federer
Fedeze14_gc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios