Organizing Charity Tournament(Questions) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
country flag HappyAndie

HappyAndie has a reputation beyond reputeHappyAndie has a reputation beyond reputeHappyAndie has a reputation beyond reputeHappyAndie has a reputation beyond reputeHappyAndie has a reputation beyond reputeHappyAndie has a reputation beyond reputeHappyAndie has a reputation beyond reputeHappyAndie has a reputation beyond reputeHappyAndie has a reputation beyond reputeHappyAndie has a reputation beyond reputeHappyAndie has a reputation beyond repute
Question Organizing Charity Tournament(Questions)

I am helping to organize a doubles tennis tournament to benefit the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, and while I am not completely tennis ignorant, I am not sure as to certain aspects of the logistics.

1. We have allotted an hour per match so I think that playing one set with a tie break if need be is best. Considering that these would be amateur players, is this the best decision?

2. How do we determine roughly how many balls to ask for/purchase? I don't want people to play with poor/worn out balls. What would be a good way to determine how many we need?

I feel retarded asking these questions, but I have only a very small idea of what I am doing and the other people organizing this know less than I do. In advance, thanks a lot for the help.
HappyAndie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Organizing Charity Tournament(Questions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyAndie View Post
I am helping to organize a doubles tennis tournament to benefit the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, and while I am not completely tennis ignorant, I am not sure as to certain aspects of the logistics.

1. We have allotted an hour per match so I think that playing one set with a tie break if need be is best. Considering that these would be amateur players, is this the best decision?

2. How do we determine roughly how many balls to ask for/purchase? I don't want people to play with poor/worn out balls. What would be a good way to determine how many we need?

I feel retarded asking these questions, but I have only a very small idea of what I am doing and the other people organizing this know less than I do. In advance, thanks a lot for the help.
1. Yes one set with a tiebreaker at 6:6 is the norm these days for tournaments/events that are only for a day. I would advise not to change the game amounts to something strange like play up to 5 instead of 6, or play 5 games total because many players frown at those "uneven" game amounts and will probably become discouraged to join.

2. Well there isn't really a way to determine how many balls to buy beforehand. 2 balls per match is the norm in USTA, but some tournaments opt to reuse the new balls, especially in the "half-day" events because the balls don't generally become worn out that quickly, however cases of balls are still usually around just incase the balls are quite flat. The only way to accurately find out how many balls to buy is to probably set a specific time to allow players to join to "push them" to join early as possible and then by just going by that estimate, buy enough balls.
HKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote