Steve Darcis - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #46
country flag Pink Princess
I'M AN IMPORTANT PRINCESS

Pink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Steve Darcis

Memphis QF:

S. Darcis d. B. Becker 61 60

Steve
{{{Prince Steve Darcis}}}{{{Prince Lukas Dlouhy}}}{{{Prince Andrey Golubev}}}{{{Prince Edward Corrie}}}{{{Prince Mikhail Fufygin}}}{{{Prince Stephane Bohli}}}{{{Prince Andriej Kapas}}}{{{Prince Ivo Minar}}}{{{Prince Lewis Roskilly}}}
Pink Princess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #47

Pink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond reputePink Princess has a reputation beyond repute

Steve Darcis, of Belgium, serves to Benjamin Becker, of Germany, in the Regions Morgan Keegan Championship tennis tournament in Memphis, Tenn., Friday, Feb. 29, 2008. Darcis won 6-1, 6-0.

Steve Darcis of Belgium returns a shot to Benjamin Becker in the Regions Morgan Keegan Championship tennis tournament in Memphis, Tenn., Friday, Feb. 29, 2008. Darcis won 6-1, 6-0.

Tomorrow GL Steve
{{{Prince Steve Darcis}}}{{{Prince Lukas Dlouhy}}}{{{Prince Andrey Golubev}}}{{{Prince Edward Corrie}}}{{{Prince Mikhail Fufygin}}}{{{Prince Stephane Bohli}}}{{{Prince Andriej Kapas}}}{{{Prince Ivo Minar}}}{{{Prince Lewis Roskilly}}}
Old 03-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #48

Steve reaches the Final in Memphis!!!

S. Darcis d. J. Bjorkman 46 61 64

Steve
Old 03-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #49

Steve Darcis, of Belgium, celebrates after defeating Jonas Bjorkman, of Sweden, in a semifinal at the Regions Morgan Keegan Championship tennis tournament in Memphis, Tenn., Saturday, March 1, 2008. Darcis beat Bjorkman 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 to reach Sunday's finals.

Go Steve
Old 03-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #50
country flag rrfnpump
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

rrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute

awesome win
go for the second title tomorrow!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #51
country flag rrfnpump
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

rrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute

and he did win the title 63 76(5) over Söderling.

congrats, Steve, wonderful
Old 03-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #52

Darcis Champion

Old 03-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #53

Pictures with the Trophy soon
Old 03-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #54

Steve Darcis, of Belgium, celebrates after defeating Robin Soderling in the final round of the Regions Morgan Keegan Championship tennis tournament in Memphis, Tenn., Sunday, March 2, 2008. Darcis defeated Soderlin, 6-3, 7-6 (5) to win the tournament.

Congratulations Steve
Old 03-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #55

Steve Darcis, of Belgium, holds his trophy after defeating Robin Soderling in the final round of the Regions Morgan Keegan Championship tennis tournament in Memphis, Tenn., Sunday, March 2, 2008. Darcis defeated Soderling 6-3, 7-6 (5) to win the tournament.
(AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)

Steve
Old 03-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #56

Darcis wins 2nd career ATP title, beats Soderling in straight sets

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP)—Steve Darcis sank to his knees, pumped his right fist and let out a yell. What better way for the Belgian to express his disbelief and joy at winning his second ATP title in two finals.

He beat Robin Soderling of Sweden 6-3, 7-6 (5) on Sunday in the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships and was left almost speechless.

“At the moment, I don’t know. I think I don’t realize what I did today, so maybe if you ask me the same question tomorrow I could answer better,” Darcis said when asked how this victory compared to winning in the Netherlands last year as a qualifier.

“It’s just amazing the way I feel right now. It’s really tough for me to explain.”

Not bad for a guy whose goal for this year had been to crack the world’s top 50 rankings. Mission already accomplished with the victory moving him from 81st to a career-best No. 45 with most of the 2008 schedule still to play.

Soderling, seeded eighth and playing in his second straight ATP final, was going for his third career title. He upset top-seeded Andy Roddick to reach the semifinals and fell instead to 2-5 for his career in finals—all indoors. Soderling credited Darcis, in their first-ever match, with serving better than he expected.ADVERTISEMENT

“It was tough, just a bit of a shame that I played my worst match in the final two weeks in a row,” said Soderling, who lost at Rotterdam last week.

“I think I played some really good tennis this week. I didn’t play bad today either. I played a lot better in my other matches. Maybe he made me play bad as well. … He played really well.”

Darcis survived 17 unforced errors and became the first player to break Soderling’s serve this week. The Belgian earned $163,750, the biggest check of his career.

“For my part, I tried to serve today very good and tried to put a lot of rhythm in,” Darcis said. “But he was serving pretty good in the second. In the tiebreaker, I tried not to miss. … It was going the right way today.”

Soderling, ranked No. 23 a little more than a year ago, will rise from No. 42 to No. 39 as he continues his return from left wrist injury that kept him out between August and January.

He was trying to end Sweden’s ATP title drought, which dates to Jonas Bjorkman’s win in Vietnam in October 2005. By comparison, Belgians have won five titles over the past two years with Olivier Rochus winning Munich in 2006 and Xavier Malisse grabbing titles in Chennai and Delray Beach in 2007 to go with Darcis’ own two victories.

That is why Darcis now must consult with his coach Reginald Williams about where to go from now. He was playing Futures matches only a year ago after being hampered by knee, ankle and wrist injuries that kept him out four months in 2006. His top goal for 2008 had been being ranked inside the Top 50.

“Now it’s done,” he said.

Coming into Memphis, Darcis had been struggling. He was 2-5 having reached the second round in Sydney before losing in the first round in Adelaide, the Australian Open and San Jose. His other victory came in Davis Cup play against the Czech Republic.

But Darcis beat Vincent Spadea, seventh-seeded Jurgen Melzer, Benjamin Becker and Bjorkman to reach his second career final and first indoors. He improved to 7-5 by upsetting the No. 8 seed for the title.

Darcis broke Soderling in the fourth game and served out to win the first set in 27 minutes.

The second set went to the tiebreak, where Soderling led 4-2 when Darcis netted a forehand and tossed his racket to the ground. He recovered with an ace and watched Soderling go up 5-3 with a service winner. But Soderling hit a forehand wide and sent a forehand long for Darcis to tie it 5-5.

“I couldn’t afford that because he wouldn’t give me anything,” Soderling said. “I had to do every point, so it was tough.”

Darcis went up 6-5 in the tiebreak with a forehand pass after a long rally. Soderling then ended the match with a long forehand as Darcis dropped to his knees and started celebrating.

“It was like I could say, `Ooof.’ I don’t know how to explain. It was a great moment,” Darcis said.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:21 AM   #57
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

A little gutted for Soderling, but so happy for Steve. He seems like a really genuine nice guy. I liked the way, after the match, Taylor Dent asked him how a little country like Belgium has produced so many good players. Taylor suggested it might be the [Belgian] chocolate...Steve said 'Maybe it's the beer?'

♥Jonas Björkman Jim Thomas♥
Larsson ~ Legner ~ Scheffers ~ Kruszelnicki ~ Cattaneo ~ Jonsson ~ Andersson
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:44 AM   #58
Ivanatis

Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really happy about his win
I hope he can cope with his heat problems and play a decent European clay court season, then we will see him soon in the top20
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #59

Memphis Final Darcis vs. Soderling:

1st set last game:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=OIUrlxkQxn0

2nd set Tie-break:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=pyrEyI6nte4
Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 AM   #60
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

Small article

Quote:
Rare triple
Belgian Steve Darcis, who beat Bjorkman in a semifinal match Saturday, pulled off a rare triple in 2007 by winning tournaments on three different levels: Futures level, Challenger level and ATP Tour level.

'It was amazing,' Darcis said. 'At the beginning of the year I was almost (ranked) 500 because of injuries and stuff. I played some Futures and was playing good but not winning many matches. But after a few months and a few wins I started playing much better and went to play a Challenger. The first Challenger I played, I won. I don't know how to explain it. It was a great week.'

By reaching today's final, Darcis will move from 81 in the world to just inside the top 50 for the first time in his career. "It's great to see players like this play that long and at that level; the way he played this week he could play more years.' -- Darcis, 23, after beating 35-year-old Bjorkman.
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote