deal with the players using forehand,backhand slice shots - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
country flag šarlistonbiber

šarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond repute
Default deal with the players using forehand,backhand slice shots

in local tournaments,i always have problems when my opponents use forehand and backhand slice shots(always).and these type of players makes me angry.it's ridiclous to hold the ball in court like this just in order to win the match or tournament.So how can i deal with tihe kind of players,what kind of tactics i have to apply?
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: deal with the players using forehand,backhand slice shots

Go to the net, make them hit good slices and dont get upset, thats exactly what they want.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:46 AM   #3
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Hit the ball deep and try and make them half volley. Thats the hardest ball to slice effectively. You'll probably get a highish shorter reply which you can pound. Come to net also helps as slice shots are not very effective for passing shots.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
country flag šarlistonbiber

šarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond reputešarlistonbiber has a reputation beyond repute

thats nice to get some useful advice from all of you.thanks.i 'll try to apply this game type.in addition,i have problems with the high balls on my backhandç(single handed)i just use high backhand slice on this shots. what can i do to hit the balls like this effectively?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:03 AM   #5
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Not a lot. The high backhand is essentially a difficult shot for anyone with a single handed backhand, especially when its deep and you're on the backfoot. Generally you either move back and hit the ball when it drops to waist height, or you get on the front foot and try and take it early. The second early is extremely risky and not recommended unless you're very confident and have a chance of hitting a winner.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Remember to focus on your footwork as well because slice balls can be very difficult to hit due to the bounce and skid so you need to prepare for your shots well.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:11 AM   #7
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing you can do for the long run is just practice returning slices. You just have to learn how slices work and react. I was a huge backhand slicer from day one because no one could handle it; it was consistent, stayed low, and skided different amounts depending on how much I pushed through the slice. A great way to understand slices to return them effectively, is to learn how to slice balls yourself.
HKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #8
country flag ogruskie

ogruskie is on a distinguished road

My friend LOVES to use backhand slices on me, especially when I'm past the baseline.

I suggest paying attention to the way your opponent uses his racquet. Pay attention to his movement and motion as he creates the slice effect. Once he begins to create the slicing motion with his hand/racquet, start running to the net and smash the ball.

Thats what I usually do, and I find it to be an effective anti-slice attack.
ogruskie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
Remember to focus on your footwork as well because slice balls can be very difficult to hit due to the bounce and skid so you need to prepare for your shots well.
Yeah just to add to this, you need to take your racquet back much earlier than usual to compensate for the low skid and bounce, especially if you intend on responding with a drive. It will feel unnatural at first, but the timing will come if you keep practicing. It's been especially tricky for me at the moment with the damp outdoor courts in the UK!

Also, although this may be against your ethic, I find responding with a slice of your own to be effective as this is what they least expect. If you try to pummel it back at them, you're playing into their hands sometimes as they like to be on the defensive with their slices, so maybe try changing it up a bit?
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
country flag Moztennis

Moztennis is on a distinguished road

I suppose the first thing to do is to make sure they don't bother you which means practising against them and most of all keeping low on your shots. I find if you stay low the benefit of their slice is negated.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
country flag AviramDj

AviramDj is on a distinguished road

A slice is a wonderfull wepon when used correctly .
An oponnent that likes to slice alot is ez to beat .
As sujested above in previous posts, if you were my student i would urge u to come to the net and finish this crappy slicer with voley's . use his puny slice against him .
Its a rule i give to my students in tennis : if someone just tries to hit the ball into court it means he is scared, and if he is scared attack him each shot .
Make his scared to hit that slice .
AviramDj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
country flag sorrowman

sorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond repute

Hit the ball with a lift shot...Its a very good way to win this playing ""style""..With a lift shot its easier for you to hit the ball and hard for the other to make again slice ...The last time that I played with a player like this, I didnt make lifts and I lost the first set 6-4 ..but after this I decide to hit almost all the balls with lift , and I took the second set 6-1...
Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #13
country flag Machiavelli

Machiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond reputeMachiavelli has a reputation beyond repute

I play tennis since I was 7 or 8, that means for almost 15 years, at a solid amatuer level; started to play a double handed bekhand, had a bad shoulder at the age of 16 injury and I was out of tennis for a year and a half and this ruined my bekhand totally, started to play it one-handed and took on slice as one of my weapons; i enjoy going to the net but i am also confident at the back, and many of my opponents go crazy when i start to hit them with my slice variations, deep slice into the corners or whatever, they loose if they are not patient enough;

It depends what kind of slice your opponent is able to play, if it is very deep it is tough for anyone, but if his slice is not long enough or it stays in the air for a long time, you have to attack it, and demolish him, so that he does not consider to play this slice shot again...

Some of my opponents of course deal with my slice exeptionally well, they have great footwork and they are patient enough, they do nto hurry; so i often have to adjust my tactics....

Hope I could help you somehow
Machiavelli is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote