MTF Posters Favourite Football Teams - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #61
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MTF Posters Favourite Football Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Hah, there were no crocs in1996. I knew you were making it up.
You asked an irrelevant question, you got an irrelevant answer.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #62
country flag MissPovaFan

MissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond repute

Chelsea for me I will admit that I rarely get to see them as the club is around 250 miles or so from me but they are the nearest decent club
MissPovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #63
country flag Martian Jenya

Martian Jenya has a reputation beyond reputeMartian Jenya has a reputation beyond reputeMartian Jenya has a reputation beyond reputeMartian Jenya has a reputation beyond reputeMartian Jenya has a reputation beyond reputeMartian Jenya has a reputation beyond reputeMartian Jenya has a reputation beyond reputeMartian Jenya has a reputation beyond reputeMartian Jenya has a reputation beyond reputeMartian Jenya has a reputation beyond reputeMartian Jenya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iza View Post
Real Madrid

started loving them back in 2000 (when I started watching club football) when I saw the final with Valencia. The most painful memory was in 2001 when they lost in the UCL semis to Bayern and the best was the final they won it in 2002. I cried after Zidane's goal Iker was and still is my Real hero Worst memory? After they gave up Del Bosque. It's getting better now though.
My dream team of the post 2000 era would be:
Casillas - Salgado, Ramos, Hierro, Roberto Carlos - Figo, Redondo, Zidane, Solari - Raul 2000-2003 and 2007+ , Morientes
It smells very hard to glory hunting in there...

Martina Hingis 4-Ever #1 in my heart : My addiction and devotion to you will never stop ! Loyal Martina Hingis fan 'till I die. 1996-2007
Chelsea FC : KTBFFH ! Loyal Belgian Blue since 1997.

Amy Lee Admirer 4-Life : The greatest singer ever seen

Martian Jenya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #64
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MTF Posters Favourite Football Teams (soccer to the uneducated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
So you had it in the family, there wasn't too much choice, hehe.

Yes, I remember the Toyota Cup when they beat Milan. Rai scored with the chest and then Muller scored with his arse.
Not much choice. But it was hard not to identify myself with the club. The problem with Sao Paulo is that the number of supporters increased dramactically at the beggining of the 1990s (bandwagon jumpers), and now it has the third biggest following in the country (behind Flamengo and Corinthians).

Raí's goal with the chest was against Barcelona actually. That team coached by Telê Santana was probably the last team that achieved success by playing purely offensive football. They were a joy to watch.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #65
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
Not much choice. But it was hard not to identify myself with the club. The problem with Sao Paulo is that the number of supporters increased dramactically at the beggining of the 1990s (bandwagon jumpers), and now it has the third biggest following in the country (behind Flamengo and Corinthians).

Raí's goal with the chest was against Barcelona actually. That team coached by Telê Santana was probably the last team that achieved success by playing purely offensive football. They were a joy to watch.
Sao Paulo are a multi sporting club aren't they, like those parasites Fluminese? Success does that and lots of fans happen, so they have a lot of support outside the SP province now?

I'd have to ask Gustavo, I imagine Gremio pretty much gets most of the support from the gaucho region and maybe Santa Catarina as well.

Tele Santana, he believed in the jogo bonito for sure.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 02-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #66
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry in advance for an incredibly boring post, but here are some of my favourite footballing moments in chronological order:
- Blackburn winning the league title for the first time in 81 years in 1995, holding off Man Utd in a thrilling title race. I was glued to radio that sunny Sunday afternoon. Nowadays it is impossible to imagine a small club like us from an unfashionable town finishing as the cream of the crop in England. Shearer scored 34 league goals that season. Our goalkeeper at the time Tim Flowers made an absolutely crucial and stunning save in the dying seconds of our penultimate match at home to Newcastle. We won 1-0, and if it wasn't for his heroics, things might have panned out rather differently.
- Valencia's surprise run to the Champions League final in 1999/2000, and especially their crushing 5-2 and 4-1 victories over Lazio and Barca respectively at the Mestalla.
- Canada winning the CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2000. I know that some people in Europe and South America look down on the Gold Cup, but it was still a fantastic achievement for us to win a major trophy. We beat Mexico (who have reached the last 16 at each of the last 4 World Cups) in our QF, and Colombia (who were crowned Copa America champions a year later) in the final, on our road to glory.
- Blackburn getting promoted from what was then called the English First Division to the Premiership in 2001. The 3 matches that stick out are when we outclassed our promotion rivals Bolton 4-1 at the Reebok Stadium, crushed our arch-rivals Burnley 5-0 at Ewood Park, and beat our friendly rivals Preston 1-0 at Deepdale to mathematically secure that promotion, and I attended all 3 of those matches.
- The Glens wrecking Linfield's hopes of sealing the treble in 2000/2001, by beating them in both cup finals.
- Blackburn winning the League Cup in 2002. We hammered Arsenal (albeit their second string side) 4-0 in our QF, and beat Spurs 2-1 in the final, and I saw both of those matches live. The day out at the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff was an unforgettable experience. The Andy Cole-Matt Jansen strike partnership was lethal during their half a season up front together. A small club like us winning a major trophy is a huge deal.
- Valencia being crowned Spanish champions for the first time in 31 years in 2002. It was quite funny that they won the La Liga title despite only scoring 51 goals that season . They spoilt Zizou's welcoming party on the opening day of the season. Depor embarassing Real Mierda at the Bernabau in the Copa del Rey final and spoiling their centenary year was also brilliant.
- Blackburn's top 6 league finish in 2002/2003. We played some very free flowing and entertaining football that season, with Damien Duff, Tugay and Dunn in full flow. We beat and outplayed the best 2 teams in the country at the time Manure and Arsenal at home, and rode our luck to also beat L'Arse at Highbury the Library.
- The Glens winning the league title and League Cup in 2002/2003, and we were only one match away from winning what, for us, would have been an unprecedented treble, losing 1-0 to Coleraine in the Cup final.
- Los Ches winning the La Liga title for the 2nd time in 3 seasons in 2004. That triumph was more satisfying than their 2002 one, as they played far more attractive football in 2004. They outclassed Real Mierda 2-0 at the Mestalla and beat Barca 1-0 at the Camp Nou that season. To add further gloss to proceedings, Valencia also won the UEFA Cup, while Real Mierda who in March were top of La Liga, leading Monaco 4-2 heading into the 2nd leg of their Champions League quarter-final, and were looking forward to the Copa del Rey final, won nothing that season.
- The Glens clinching their 2nd league-league cup double in 3 years in 2004/2005. In our penultimate match of the season, we had to beat Linfield at the Oval otherwise our title aspirations would have gone up in smoke. The ex-Linfield striker Chris Morgan scored a 93rd minute winner for us as we clinched a crucial 3-2 victory. Unfortunately though, drunken hooligans froms both sets of supporters clashed and through missiles at each other afterwards
- The Whitecaps brushing aside Sunderland 3-0 in a friendly and embarassing an English Premiership club. Sure Sunderland were dreadful in the season that followed, but we did what Manure couldn't do, beat them at home.
- Northern Ireland beating England 1-0 at Windsor Park in their 2006 World Cup qualifying match. Take a bow David Healy :bow:. The Green and White Army were easily the better team throughout the match as well. I was in Belfast at the time. What a hugely enjoyable night that was.
- Blackburn clinching the double over Manure for the first time in 75 years in 2005/2006, beating them 2-1 at OT, and 4-3 at Ewood, and both times we outplayed them and deserved to win. We also beat Arsenal and runaway league champions Chelsea at home that season, and finished the top 6 to qualify for the UEFA Cup.
- Winning shit loads of money courtesy of some inspired and random bets throughout the 2006 World Cup.
- The Whitecaps winning the USL First Division play-offs in 2006.
- Memories of the opening match of the 1982 World Cup and Gerry Armstrong coming flooding back, as David Healy scored a sensational hat-trick as the Green and White army downed Spain 3-2 at Windsor Park in their Euro 2008 qualifier at Windsor Park. Again, I thought that N.I were the better team and deserved their victory.
- Any matches that Manure, Real Mierda or Linfield have lost, or any seasons which those clubs have ended trophyless.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #67
country flag ClaudiuS

ClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond repute

Universidad de Chile. Since I start living in Chile.

Bayern München. Since I was like 4 yo.

And I also cheer for Atletico Paranaense. But it's mostly because when I'm in Brazil, in spend the time in Curitiba, where Atl. Paranaense is home.
ClaudiuS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #68
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sao Paulo are a multi sporting club aren't they, like those parasites Fluminese? Success does that and lots of fans happen, so they have a lot of support outside the SP province now?

I'd have to ask Gustavo, I imagine Gremio pretty much gets most of the support from the gaucho region and maybe Santa Catarina as well.

Tele Santana, he believed in the jogo bonito for sure.
They are a multi-sporting club, but most of the cash goes to football. Here, when football clubs try to expand their success to other sports, it doesn't work in the long term, because football always ends up taking away the money from other sports. At the end of the 1990s, Flamengo and Vasco tried to be multi-sporting powerhouses but after a couple of years they couldn't pay their non-football athletes' salaries anymore.

Sao Paulo has lots of supporters in the countryside of the Paraná state. Though in the Northern states, support still goes mainly to the teams from Rio (Flamengo, Fluminense, Vasco...).
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #69
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

I was also delighted when Rome won Lo Scudetto in 2001. They had continually underachieved for many seasons prior to that, but they finally got their act together that season, and were league leaders right from the start. Totti, Batigol, Montella, Cafu, Emerson, Samuel and Aldair were all excellent.
Despite being a Valencia fan, I found Rivaldo's stunning hat-trick for Barca against Los Ches, during what was basically a Champions League play-off on the final day of the season in 2001, memorable:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KVnPaYa8rlE
The guy was an absolute genius in his prime and he could magical things with his left foot.

Canada celebrating their 2000 Gold Cup success:
Old 02-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #70
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
They are a multi-sporting club, but most of the cash goes to football. Here, when football clubs try to expand their success to other sports, it doesn't work in the long term, because football always ends up taking away the money from other sports. At the end of the 1990s, Flamengo and Vasco tried to be multi-sporting powerhouses but after a couple of years they couldn't pay their non-football athletes' salaries anymore.

Sao Paulo has lots of supporters in the countryside of the Paraná state. Though in the Northern states, support still goes mainly to the teams from Rio (Flamengo, Fluminense, Vasco...).
That makes sense the amount of cash isn't generated to run them profitably, well corrupt directors don't help either.

Flamengo fans seem to be everywhere.

One thing whenever I see riots on TV, there is usually someone with a Man U shirt, that has to be a coincidence.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 02-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #71
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
- Memories of the opening match of the 1982 World Cup and Gerry Armstrong coming flooding back, as David Healy scored a sensational hat-trick as the Green and White army downed Spain 3-2 at Windsor Park in their Euro 2008 qualifier at Windsor Park. Again, I thought that N.I were the better team and deserved their victory.
It wasn't the opening match. It was the final group match and a must win for NI. I watched it in a hotel ballroom in Santo Domingo (the same hotel that featured in Godfather III as a Havana hotel) and was later interviewed on Dominican TV as the only Nor'ironer available in a crowd of Spaniards. The next day I got on a plane for Belfast. In the second group stage we drew with Austria, but France then eliminated us.

A great achievement, but not as great as the double win over the Czechs in Sweden in '58. In the group stage the Czechs lost to NI 1-0, then beat Argentina 6-1, forcing a play-off match for second place in the group. NI beat them again, this time 2-1 after extra time. To qualify out of a group of Argentina-West Germany-Czechoslovakia-Northern Ireland was pretty good.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #72
country flag ClaudiuS

ClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Flamengo fans seem to be everywhere.
True.

Beside all those supporters that they have in the North, and obviously in the near of Rio. I also saw some in the southern coasts of Santa Catarina. It was a small "Lanchonete" (a place where you can get a lunch or a sandwich), they had Flamengo flags all around the place, even an old poster of thteam in the center of the kitchen.
ClaudiuS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #73
country flag LeChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
It wasn't the opening match. It was the final group match and a must win for NI. I watched it in a hotel ballroom in Santo Domingo (the same hotel that featured in Godfather III as a Havana hotel) and was later interviewed on Dominican TV as the only Nor'ironer available in a crowd of Spaniards. The next day I got on a plane for Belfast. In the second group stage we drew with Austria, but France then eliminated us.

A great achievement, but not as great as the double win over the Czechs in Sweden in '58. In the group stage the Czechs lost to NI 1-0, then beat Argentina 6-1, forcing a play-off match for second place in the group. NI beat them again, this time 2-1 after extra time. To qualify out of a group of Argentina-West Germany-Czechoslovakia-Northern Ireland was pretty good.
Fair enough. That 1982 success was before my lifetime so I was only going on what a mate told me, and yes their exploits in 1958 would top that. In their final group match before the play-off, against West Germany, NI were twice ahead against the defending champions, and came close to pulling off a victory that would have ranked as the best in their history. They still reached the last 8 though which was all that mattered. NI are the second smallest nation to have qualified for a World Cup tournament (and the smallest nation to have qualified for more than one World Cup), so reaching 2 quarter-finals is nothing short of outstanding.

David Healy scoring 13 goals in the Euro 2008 qualifying group was awesome, and in addition to the 3-2 victory over Spain, taking 4 points off both Sweden and Denmark was very impressive indeed.
The Spain victory came 4 days after the players and manager were villified for that 3-0 home defeat to Iceland. How quickly things changed, and the fact that they overtook Republic of Ireland in the rankings must also have been nice.

Last edited by LeChuck : 02-17-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #74
country flag jayjay

jayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond repute

My condolences to Julio and Hendu (who hasn't yet posted in this thread but I'm sure he will at some point). They are simply products of what they were born into and none of us choose what we are born into, so forgive them for their sins.

Pictures say a 1000 words apparently, so here are eight thousand words.

jayjay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #75
country flag Xavidbz

Xavidbz has a reputation beyond reputeXavidbz has a reputation beyond reputeXavidbz has a reputation beyond reputeXavidbz has a reputation beyond reputeXavidbz has a reputation beyond reputeXavidbz has a reputation beyond reputeXavidbz has a reputation beyond reputeXavidbz has a reputation beyond reputeXavidbz has a reputation beyond reputeXavidbz has a reputation beyond reputeXavidbz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
- Valencia being crowned Spanish champions for the first time in 31 years in 2002. It was quite funny that they won the La Liga title despite only scoring 51 goals that season . They spoilt Zizou's welcoming party on the opening day of the season. Depor embarassing Real Mierda at the Bernabau in the Copa del Rey final and spoiling their centenary year was also brilliant.
- Los Ches winning the La Liga title for the 2nd time in 3 seasons in 2004. That triumph was more satisfying than their 2002 one, as they played far more attractive football in 2004. They outclassed Real Mierda 2-0 at the Mestalla and beat Barca 1-0 at the Camp Nou that season. To add further gloss to proceedings, Valencia also won the UEFA Cup, while Real Mierda who in March were top of La Liga, leading Monaco 4-2 heading into the 2nd leg of their Champions League quarter-final, and were looking forward to the Copa del Rey final, won nothing that season.
- Any matches that Manure, Real Mierda or Linfield have lost, or any seasons which those clubs have ended trophyless.
WTF has Real Madrid Club de Fútbol done to you? :retard:
Xavidbz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote