2012 MTF Mug of the Month: Wawrinka at it again - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #46
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2008 MTF Mug of the Month

Just look at the bandwagon player of the month, that will be the mug between one and three months later.

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #47
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

I think its gotta be either Querrey or Hewitt

Andreev, eh, whatever
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #48
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaxMisha View Post
In general, I agree. As for the highlighted part - well, yes and no. He obviously was tired, but even if both Youzhny and Nadal are 100 % on hardcourt, Youzhny wins. Youzhny's problem is that he is very streaky, but when he is on, he is one of the best players on hardcourt. The part that bugs me about the "Nadal was tired" excuse is the implication most fans (not you!) put into it - namely that he would have won, had he been 100 %. The truth is, against Youzhny playing the way he did, Nadal still would have gotten comprehensively beaten. However, he certainly would not have won only 26 % of the points played. So yes, tiredness was a factor, but I believe its importance is greatly overstated by many Nadal fans. The scoreline would have been more competeitive, but the outcome would most likely have been the same anyway.
The bolded part is so true, that is what bothers me about excuses in general.

As for this match, Nadal won easily in the final in Rome after having a long match against Davydenko in the semifinal. Besides, Nadal won easily against Youzhny in Paris when Youzhny had an exhausting match against Haas the previous day. I don't recall Nadal fans saying on that occassion "oh, a piece of good luck for Rafa, Youzhny is normally a bad matchup for him"

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #49
country flag cmurray

cmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merton View Post

As for this match, Nadal won easily in the final in Rome after having a long match against Davydenko in the semifinal. Besides, Nadal won easily against Youzhny in Paris when Youzhny had an exhausting match against Haas the previous day. I don't recall Nadal fans saying on that occassion "oh, a piece of good luck for Rafa, Youzhny is normally a bad matchup for him"
Generally, a fair assessment. But in this particular match nearly everyone who said Rafa was tired also qualified that statement by saying that he would have lost anyway.
cmurray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #50
country flag Clara Bow

Clara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post
Generally, a fair assessment. But in this particular match nearly everyone who said Rafa was tired also qualified that statement by saying that he would have lost anyway.
Very true. Most folks who have said if Rafa were tired would have been unlikely to have won even if he was fresh. Misha played into good form at the tournament- and when Youzhny is playing well in hard courts- I think most Nadal fans realize that he is likely to win. If both were playing well and without fatigue- it may have been more like their 2007 match in Dubai.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #51
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Bow View Post
Very true. Most folks who have said if Rafa were tired would have been unlikely to have won even if he was fresh. Misha played into good form at the tournament- and when Youzhny is playing well in hard courts- I think most Nadal fans realize that he is likely to win. If both were playing well and without fatigue- it may have been more like their 2007 match in Dubai.
Absolutely true. Youzhny was playing his best tennis EVER, and as such he deserves all the credits for winning this match. The only reason I (in hindsight, I know ) didn't expect this to happen is that I only saw his first match in Chennai, and it didn't impress me much - but apparently he raised his level to his utmost best during the tournament.

BTW, it must be said that most (if not all) Rafa fans acknowledged that Misha's victory was well deserved. As did Rafa himself.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #52
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merton View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Bow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBuzza View Post
Absolutely true. Youzhny was playing his best tennis EVER, and as such he deserves all the credits for winning this match. The only reason I (in hindsight, I know ) didn't expect this to happen is that I only saw his first match in Chennai, and it didn't impress me much - but apparently he raised his level to his utmost best during the tournament.

BTW, it must be said that most (if not all) Rafa fans acknowledged that Misha's victory was well deserved. As did Rafa himself.

Yeah, what they said. We Nadal fans are so misunderstood

From the Rafa/Youzhny Paris thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBuzza View Post
Is this becoming a new trend here on MTF, posting before the match is over?

Anyway, well-deserved CONGRATS to Rafa. He was playing amazingly well today, a lot of exquisite shotmaking.

Kudos Youzhny - he obviously wasn't at his best, presumably still tired from the match against Haas I guess.

Just one negative remark from me: that annoying, noisy crowd! - when will people finally understand that yelling while a player is about to serve isn't actually helping that player?
Quote:
That was...unexpected. Misha looked really tired.

And what's the deal with Raf channeling Andre Agassi? Moving Misha side to side?

And now its up to Reeshard and Muzz. Yikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogiRafaFan86 View Post
That was so good! Still some mishits that were abnormal, but he more than made up for those with some amazing shots. I know Youzhny was tired, but he could have been fresh as a daisy and he still wasn't going to be able to return those things.

Well done Rafa! Now beat Baggy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
The brilliant thing about Dubai back in 2006 was that quite a few people in here were moaning about the surface playing so slow, like clay. On the Talk Tennis message board, I even saw a poster seriously claim that the Dubai surface had a bit of sand from the desert on the sourt so it played like clay.

At the same time, pros like Andre Agassi and Safin were saying how fast that surface was.

Anyway, it was clear from the start that Youzhny was a bit sluggish but it was good to see Rafa hit some great shots, although his forehand down the line could use some work at the moment, as well as his serve (which improved as the match went along).

Last edited by l_mac : 01-08-2008 at 10:29 PM.
l_mac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #53
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Thanks Linda. Great post indeed.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 AM   #54
country flag mylessa

mylessa has a reputation beyond reputemylessa has a reputation beyond reputemylessa has a reputation beyond reputemylessa has a reputation beyond reputemylessa has a reputation beyond reputemylessa has a reputation beyond reputemylessa has a reputation beyond reputemylessa has a reputation beyond reputemylessa has a reputation beyond reputemylessa has a reputation beyond reputemylessa has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt is a very strong candidate. Now he loses to Guccione as well. First the interview, then Tsonga and now this. I don't see anyone catching up with him
mylessa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:18 AM   #55
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

After today's loss, Hewitt looks like the prime candidate.

However, to cement his title, he needs to not make a good run at the AO, 4th round or earlier.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:20 AM   #56
country flag ChinoRios4Ever

ChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond repute

poor Lleyton, he will win this 4 sure if he dont make the 2nd week in Melbourne

TT Rankings: #62 (S) & #92 (D).
Results Singles: W Auckland 09, Washington 09, Acapulco 10, 's-Hertogenbosch 10 & Fürth CH 08, F Bucharest 10, 's-Hertogenbosch 11 & Bucaramanga CH 09.
Results Doubles: W Bogota CH 08 (w/ClaudiuS), F Acapulco 09 (w/lucho_coria), Bucaramanga CH 09 (w/Gallina), ROLAND GARROS 09, Los Angeles 09 (w/juakos17) & Sunrise CH 10 (w/hallso).
ChinoRios4Ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:21 AM   #57
country flag luzkoz

luzkoz has a reputation beyond reputeluzkoz has a reputation beyond reputeluzkoz has a reputation beyond reputeluzkoz has a reputation beyond reputeluzkoz has a reputation beyond reputeluzkoz has a reputation beyond reputeluzkoz has a reputation beyond reputeluzkoz has a reputation beyond reputeluzkoz has a reputation beyond reputeluzkoz has a reputation beyond reputeluzkoz has a reputation beyond repute

I nominate Hewitt...
luzkoz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:25 AM   #58
country flag Halba

Halba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond reputeHalba has a reputation beyond repute

LEEEGGGGSSS CMON~!

hewitt for sure! what a MUG
Halba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:19 AM   #59
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

Lleyton is flying with the trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:21 AM   #60
country flag maqk

maqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond reputemaqk has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to say, but Hewitt really

PEACE OF MIND, SUBMIT YOUR WILL TO YOUR LORD SINCE THE LORD KNOWS THE BEST, VISIT IRF, MAKE THE DECISION YOURSELF
JAHANGIR KHAN - longest unbeaten run"SPORTSMAN OF THE MILLENIUM"

SupportIngXristos4ABrilliantCarrear
maqk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote