Premium users and its (dis)advantages - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-02-2008, 03:58 AM   #46
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premium users and its (dis)advantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
Oh, really? Were these things on the list before? I didn't know that. Does anyone remember what was there when they paid? I mean, in a sense it doesn't matter I think we all agree that it's crappy either way, even if those things were never explicitly promised, everyone knew they existed and paid because of it. I bet if we took a poll, no one paid for the bigger av or custom headline or more PM space. And either way, one would hope they care enough about those who have actually bothered to pay. I mean, they very clearly stated it would not be an ad-free experience. That's fine and I think pretty much everyone was OK with that, but no one had any idea that this is what would happen.

And I can only speak for myself (but I have a feeling i'm not alone in this is), but something that annoys me about it is the lack of communication. We weren't even told the name change option would be gone, we weren't told that we'd never get the player forums we voted for 6 months ago, we weren't really told about the changes in ads, or even changes in administration so we'd know who to contact directly with specific concerns. I'm hoping that now that the holidays are over, these concerns will at least be addressed, since there was little to no communication all along.
to sum it, who ever took over MTF they did it to make money off it and not for love on the game, the reason this forum was started.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:00 AM   #47
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by savestheday91 View Post
Well Deb, I think a lot of the people who are mad are those who signed up for Lifetime Premium Membership the first time it was offered when it DID offer an ad-free experience

But yes, lack of communication is never a good thing.
As far as I was ever aware, the new premium (the old premium never had a lifetime membership, it was per month or per year, I remember because I did pay for the one year, which was 19.99. No lifetime option) membership, which went into effect well active verticalscope took over management of the board (remember, there was no premium available for quite some time), NEVER offered an ad-free experience. And the way I remember it is the same as Neely remembers it, because it actually came up with the enactment of the new premium membership. I'm fairly confident that, in its current form, the premium option was never promised to be ad-free. http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...7&postcount=29

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:02 AM   #48
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As far as I was ever aware, the new premium (the old premium never had a lifetime membership, it was per month or per year, I remember because I did pay for the one year, which was 19.99. No lifetime option) membership, which went into effect when verticalscope took over management of the board, NEVER offered an ad-free experience. And the way I remember it is the same as Neely remembers it, because it actually came up with the enactment of the new premium membership. I'm fairly confident that, in its current form, the premium option was never promised to be ad-free. http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...7&postcount=29

Hmmm maybe I'm mistaken then... I could have sworn it did.

Either way, the lack of communication about the removal of other features and the general downhill slope these boards are on is still a cause of concern.

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:09 AM   #49
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by savestheday91 View Post
Hmmm maybe I'm mistaken then... I could have sworn it did.

Either way, the lack of communication about the removal of other features and the general downhill slope these boards are on is still a cause of concern.
Well that discussion and Steve's post all happened right after the redesign where the premium memberships were brought back, so I don't know when the no-ad promise would've occurred. Definitely in the first incarnation, it did, but it was also more expensive (2.99 a month and 19.99 a year instead of what it is now, 9.99 a year and 24.99 for life). But no, I really don't think it matters either way. There's a long stretch from "not a no-ad experience," which considering people didn't really complain about it after that point in May when we were told it was not gonna happen, til now, when all these ads popped up, shows me that most people didn't really care about the few ads here and there because they were relatively unobtrusive, to where we are now with ads sprayed all over the place that are literally hindering people's browsing of the board, especially with no warning. it's still crappy.

I think making people register in order to browse the forum is a good idea - in fact, didn't it used to be like that (I remember, before this last redesign, having to register for wtaworld when i wanted to read a thread there - I'm always logged in here so I just assumed it was the same here)? Also, what about a return to priority access to save money? If the traffic is really extreme during some certain points, why not lower the amount of server space always allocated - thereby saving money - and then during the busy points, give those who paid the access first. That's what it was during the first premium membership and it worked pretty well most of the time.

I dunno, I just hope it's not ignored for too much longer.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:11 AM   #50
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well that discussion and Steve's post all happened right after the redesign where the premium memberships were brought back, so I don't know when the no-ad promise would've occurred. Definitely in the first incarnation, it did, but it was also more expensive (2.99 a month and 19.99 a year instead of what it is now, 9.99 a year and 24.99 for life). But no, I really don't think it matters either way. There's a long stretch from "not a no-ad experience," which considering people didn't really complain about it after that point in May when we were told it was not gonna happen, til now, when all these ads popped up, shows me that most people didn't really care about the few ads here and there because they were relatively unobtrusive, to where we are now with ads sprayed all over the place that are literally hindering people's browsing of the board, especially with no warning. it's still crappy.

I think making people register in order to browse the forum is a good idea - in fact, didn't it used to be like that (I remember, before this last redesign, having to register for wtaworld when i wanted to read a thread there - I'm always logged in here so I just assumed it was the same here)? Also, what about a return to priority access to save money? If the traffic is really extreme during some certain points, why not lower the amount of server space always allocated - thereby saving money - and then during the busy points, give those who paid the access first. That's what it was during the first premium membership and it worked pretty well most of the time.

Totally agree with the whole bolded part.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #51
country flag FilipeMB
why did I pay for premium

FilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghdatis72 View Post
So this means that unless there is someone who cares about the customers of this website then we will see no change.

I don't really care if it was written or not that I would have or not a ad-free experience. I put this because I got tired of this ads, of people complaining about them and me telling them that they would have to install third party addons in their programs in order to have a good experience.
As Baghdatis72 said, we will get fucked up over and over again until there's someone who cares about us.
We even don't have access to a list of users because it would generate more traffic and blablabla. I can't count how many premium users we have in order to know how much money they received from us to pay server cost.
At least, to be honest with their users, they should post server costs and how much we are far from reaching this value in order to we know. Put this together with an ad () saying that if they help, they will get a better experience (aka, no ads, faster connection, better connection). I believe now then people would help and admins would stop complaining that they put ads in OUR forum (cause it's we that make the forum, not verticalscope. we're the community, we're who makes this forum interesting. well, you guys, not me, i'm not the best poster in GM this forum has ever seen) to pay this costs.
I'm really waiting for some changes.
FilipeMB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #52
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And I can only speak for myself (but I have a feeling i'm not alone in this is), but something that annoys me about it is the lack of communication. We weren't even told the name change option would be gone, we weren't told that we'd never get the player forums we voted for 6 months ago, we weren't really told about the changes in ads, or even changes in administration so we'd know who to contact directly with specific concerns. I'm hoping that now that the holidays are over, these concerns will at least be addressed, since there was little to no communication all along.
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #53
country flag Baghdatis72
2011 Here we go again!

Baghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh, really? Were these things on the list before? I didn't know that. Does anyone remember what was there when they paid? I mean, in a sense it doesn't matter I think we all agree that it's crappy either way, even if those things were never explicitly promised, everyone knew they existed and paid because of it. I bet if we took a poll, no one paid for the bigger av or custom headline or more PM space. And either way, one would hope they care enough about those who have actually bothered to pay. I mean, they very clearly stated it would not be an ad-free experience. That's fine and I think pretty much everyone was OK with that, but no one had any idea that this is what would happen.

The first step would be to try to communicate with Steve about our complaints so he can pass them to Verticalscope. To do that we have to organize our complaints and give a good and complete report about them with clear goals.

If we get a negative or no reply there we have to show them that we are not guinea pigs and this changes will reduce the number of posts and hence the value of the forum. To do that we have to organize together though but let's hope that it doesn't come to that.

Quote:
Have you informed Steve about it then?

The Present - The Past
Baghdatis72 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #54
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

We're basically ignored.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #55
country flag Jelena

Jelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghdatis72 View Post
Have you informed Steve about it then?
Once I pmed Steve about something, I didn't get an answer for about 10 days, and after that I only got an "nothing saying answer." So I don't know if Steve will really react on it.

Bolo Zenden, Bobo Gille, Zlatan
Jelena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #56
country flag Saumon

Saumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it funny that when I click on "Remove advertisements", it opens a window informing me about the available subscriptions? It does lead me to believe that if I get a premium account, it will remove the ads.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #57
#freeviktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saumon View Post
Isn't it funny that when I click on "Remove advertisements", it opens a window informing me about the available subscriptions? It does lead me to believe that if I get a premium account, it will remove the ads.
Yes, and that's what they intend you to see. WTAW is also complaining about these ads (but they actually get more answers from admins). Apparently when it took you to the basketball forum, that was a mistake. Taking you to the subscription page is what's intended.

Maybe they are planning on getting rid of the ads for premium members now.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #58
country flag Tytta!.
(:

I don't think we're ever getting an answer
Old 01-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #59
country flag Baghdatis72
2011 Here we go again!

Baghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saumon View Post
That's sneaky indeed

The Present - The Past
Baghdatis72 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #60
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Or just to pay, and later they don't care if the ads keep still appearing.
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote