Going for broke ALL the time - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #16
country flag WatchOut

WatchOut has a reputation beyond reputeWatchOut has a reputation beyond reputeWatchOut has a reputation beyond reputeWatchOut has a reputation beyond reputeWatchOut has a reputation beyond reputeWatchOut has a reputation beyond reputeWatchOut has a reputation beyond reputeWatchOut has a reputation beyond reputeWatchOut has a reputation beyond reputeWatchOut has a reputation beyond reputeWatchOut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going for broke ALL the time

Just move them around the court (angles; long, moony shots etc...) so they get into weird positions - then it's harder for them to hit it that hard and get the shot into the court.And mix the serve up
WatchOut is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 02:45 AM   #17
country flag celia

celia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes it's hard to get enough control of the ball to use some of these tactics. But great suggestions all. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #18
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by celia View Post
It's my impression that folks that go for broke all the time are more likely to be baseliners, although they might throw in the occasional serve-n-volley.
If you're a S&V you're going to be going for winners on every volley anyway, unless you like having rallies at the net.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #19
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
If you're a S&V you're going to be going for winners on every volley anyway, unless you like having rallies at the net.
Depends how good you are also. I S&V a lot and whereas in the Pro game it is an emphasis on SERVE and volley I almost always have to hit at list one volley which is tough and I don't often go for winners off these.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #20
country flag Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

The thing I find about people like this is if you just slice them as much as you can they get frustrated/tired cuz they are either missing the shots or bending a LOT lower to make good shots.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:36 PM   #21
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek P. View Post
Federer usually feeds off his pace and gives it right back to him. This is incredibly hard to do.
That's because he has a short swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgStallion View Post
I thought you were a serve and volleyer?
Too hard to play that way consistently on clay (98% of the courts I have access are clay).

Quote:
Originally Posted by celia View Post
It's my impression that folks that go for broke all the time are more likely to be baseliners, although they might throw in the occasional serve-n-volley.
The problem of going for winners on approach shots is that if the guy gets to the ball, he'll hit it back with all your power, so the volleys turn to nightmares.

About Federer vs Blake, Federer has a very short swing to hit off both sides (especially the forehand). This way he gets to Blake's flat balls and hit them with Blake's pace and more juice (and placement of course). It's not like most players that end up leaving a short ball after 3-4 flat shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
Depends how good you are also. I S&V a lot and whereas in the Pro game it is an emphasis on SERVE and volley I almost always have to hit at list one volley which is tough and I don't often go for winners off these.
Yeah, when I go to the net on weaker shots, I usually just try to keep the first volley deep and firm to win the point on the second. Of course this has the big problem of giving a fast guy a second shot at passing you...
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:38 PM   #22
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
The thing I find about people like this is if you just slice them as much as you can they get frustrated/tired cuz they are either missing the shots or bending a LOT lower to make good shots.
You know, that's what my coach does to me all the time. Also he breaks the rhythm with many many dropshots.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:47 AM   #23
country flag Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes View Post
You know, that's what my coach does to me all the time. Also he breaks the rhythm with many many dropshots.
Its annoying if people arent patient. I hate it when people do it to me.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #24
country flag celia

celia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Going for broke ALL the time

Quote:
And that is what my coach did to me after that particular match to show me how I should have played her. It's damn frustrating to play against this style. Made me almost miss the bashing biyatch.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #25
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, when I go to the net on weaker shots, I usually just try to keep the first volley deep and firm to win the point on the second. Of course this has the big problem of giving a fast guy a second shot at passing you...
With all aspects of tennis it depends what level you're at in terms of tactics. For me it is clever to take pace off the ball meaning they have to add pace and placement whilst against a very good player this is suicice.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:14 AM   #26
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
With all aspects of tennis it depends what level you're at in terms of tactics. For me it is clever to take pace off the ball meaning they have to add pace and placement whilst against a very good player this is suicice.
True. Against my coach it's suicide hitting a flat bomb to his backhand when rushing the net. It comes back much worse. Usually you have to adapt to your opponent... if he doesn't have much power you cut the pace and add spin to the approach shot, while if he does, you'll have to be more attentive to the placement and hit flatter to his weaker side.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #27
azza

azza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond repute

maybr ur more shit at tennis then u think and the opponent wasnt really goign for broke but just kicking ur ass coz ur to slow?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:42 AM   #28
country flag Philzsay

Philzsay is on a distinguished road

If they are a player that essentially stands on the baseline I usually try to hit the ball hard and fast at the drop of their feet. When they try to hit that ball for a winner they ussually dont have a proper swing at the ball and make more errors because of poor technique.

Do this and after a while and they get used to it and start to move to favour their preferred shot. Say they are right handed and their prefered shot is the forehand then they may instinctivly while you are hitting the ball move to their left so they can have a swing at their forhand. At this stage I then aim for their left foot so they are always effectively running out of room. It frustrates the hell out of them.

The key though is to hit it hard and fast so the ball is on them quickly, if you give them to much time they can move into position to hit an easy winner.
Philzsay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:39 AM   #29
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

I don't know about other people, but the harder the other guy hits the better for my going for broke game. Makes it much easier to hit a winner when the ball already comes really fast to me.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #30
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

MMMM I LOVE playing against these players. I like to react to their shots and just get the ball back.

When you want to win points against these types of players you either every as deep as you can (not speed, but depth), or make them hit uncomfortable shots like high above their shoulders because its A LOT tougher to hit winners from up there.
HKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote