Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:04 PM   #151
country flag horseman

horseman has a reputation beyond reputehorseman has a reputation beyond reputehorseman has a reputation beyond reputehorseman has a reputation beyond reputehorseman has a reputation beyond reputehorseman has a reputation beyond reputehorseman has a reputation beyond reputehorseman has a reputation beyond reputehorseman has a reputation beyond reputehorseman has a reputation beyond reputehorseman has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vucina View Post
We like to be called Serbs,not Serbians.
One more stereotype about us?

horseman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 02:35 AM   #152
country flag Magenta

Magenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
Serbians are bloodthirsty war criminals.

Wrong, that's such a generalisation.
These days I feel bloodthirsty only 5 out of every 7 days
Today is one of those days, any Bosnians around?
Magenta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:38 AM   #153
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Wrong, that's such a generalisation.
These days I feel bloodthirsty only 5 out of every 7 days
Today is one of those days, any Bosnians around?
Look at the thread title and you might get the context.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:40 AM   #154
country flag Magenta

Magenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond reputeMagenta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Look at the thread title and you might get the context.
I get it. I'm kidding
Old 11-16-2007, 02:51 AM   #155
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

I got this emailed to me from a Serb friend.

Your mom uses lard instead of Crisco to fry eggs.
Your family owns a coffee grinder..and a nut grinder
Duck tape is your father's only tool next to using a kitchen knife as a screwdriver .
Your 15 year old sister can out-drink any Amerikanac
You get a C in history, but can recite every Serbian king, in order,from Czar Dusan
Your dad never told you about the birds and the bees
At your wedding you know only about a third of the people there.
At your wedding you have a minimum of 350 guests.
At your wedding the first song is always "danas majka zeni svoga sina".
You have at least 3 slave to attend to on the same day.
All slave have the same cuisine "supa, sarma, Pecenje".
All weddings have the same cuisine "supa, sarma, Pecenje".
All christenings have the cuisine "supa, sarma, Pecenje".

A Serb girl tries to look 23 but she's actually 15.
At least one of your friends name is "Dragan".
You are somehow related to every 1 in 3 Serb girls/boys.
You don't actually attend University, just hang out there and play "tablic".
You can derive "Steve" from "Nenad".
You can derive "David" from "Zeljko".
You can derive "Mark" from "Mirko".
Your father calls you a "dummy" for not knowing how to do something he can't either.
Even the fat Serb chicks put on the tightest skirt possible.

Your father expects you to study or "hit da books" every waking hour that he's home, and he expects nothing less than an "A".
A cold shiver runs down your spine when your mom threatens by using the word "tata" in a sentence.
Your Deda cuts the grass with knee high black socks and slippers.
You work out six days a week, but somehow you dad whoops your ass in like five seconds after he comes home from a thirteen hour day from the bakery/factory/food business.
You own a leather jacket.
You have three pairs of black shoes.
You drive a nicer car than your parents.
There is a 120-gallon barrel of wine and Cabbage in your garage.
There is more alcohol in your liquor cabinet than at the local bar.
You hear birds chirping and see the sun rise every time you come home from the bar.
Your mother still makes your bed.
You are 18 years old but your parents still call you by your brother's name.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 11-16-2007, 02:59 AM   #156
country flag Magenta

Quote:
I got this emailed to me from a Serb friend.

Your mom uses lard instead of Crisco to fry eggs. TRUE
Your family owns a coffee grinder..and a nut grinder
Duck tape is your father's only tool next to using a kitchen knife as a screwdriver .
Your 15 year old sister can out-drink any Amerikanac TRUE
You get a C in history, but can recite every Serbian king, in order,from Czar Dusan -Nah I always got As in history
Your dad never told you about the birds and the bees TRUE
At your wedding you know only about a third of the people there. TRUE
At your wedding you have a minimum of 350 guests. TRUE
At your wedding the first song is always "danas majka zeni svoga sina".
You have at least 3 slave to attend to on the same day. TRUE
All slave have the same cuisine "supa, sarma, Pecenje". TRUE
All weddings have the same cuisine "supa, sarma, Pecenje". TRUE
All christenings have the cuisine "supa, sarma, Pecenje". TRUE

A Serb girl tries to look 23 but she's actually 15. TRUE
At least one of your friends name is "Dragan". - No, only my uncle
You are somehow related to every 1 in 3 Serb girls/boys.
You don't actually attend University, just hang out there and play "tablic".
You can derive "Steve" from "Nenad".
You can derive "David" from "Zeljko".
You can derive "Mark" from "Mirko". TRUE
Your father calls you a "dummy" for not knowing how to do something he can't either.
Even the fat Serb chicks put on the tightest skirt possible.

Your father expects you to study or "hit da books" every waking hour that he's home, and he expects nothing less than an "A". TRUE
A cold shiver runs down your spine when your mom threatens by using the word "tata" in a sentence. TRUE
Your Deda cuts the grass with knee high black socks and slippers. AHHAHAAHAHAH
You work out six days a week, but somehow you dad whoops your ass in like five seconds after he comes home from a thirteen hour day from the bakery/factory/food business.
You own a leather jacket.
You have three pairs of black shoes.
You drive a nicer car than your parents.
There is a 120-gallon barrel of wine and Cabbage in your garage. TRUE
There is more alcohol in your liquor cabinet than at the local bar. TRUE
You hear birds chirping and see the sun rise every time you come home from the bar.
Your mother still makes your bed.
You are 18 years old but your parents still call you by your brother's name.

A lot of it applies to diaspora Serbs more so than Serbs in Serbia, except the alcohol related ones.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:20 AM   #157
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

There are these ones as well.

You started to drink at the age of 12
You don't talk to your Kumovi
Your mom wears her bra as a bathing suit
It takes over 8 years to finish college
If you are female, you first name ends in "A"
You have a Serbian cross, flag, or icon, hanging from your rear view mirror
Your uncle makes his own wine that is stronger than rakija
You think everything is a conspiracy
Your dad thinks that the phone is bugged
If you are a girl and not married by the age of 20 you are an old maid
There is a baba hotline 1-800-CALL-BABA
Your mother insists that "promaja" will kill you
Your mother insists that you must eat something with "kasika" at least several times a week

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 11-16-2007, 06:31 AM   #158
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

In Switzerland there are some wild stereotypes about Serbs and Turks. But if I repeat them here, Ezekiel will crawl out of nowhere and hound this thread.

There are also some very positive stereotypes about the Tamil refugees-- they are considered to be very clean, very honest, very hardworking, and do their own work and live their lives trying to integrate into Swiss society without forcing their religion and cultures into their new country. They are truly beloved.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:33 AM   #159
country flag Magenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Federer View Post
In Switzerland there are some wild stereotypes about Serbs and Turks. But if I repeat them here, Ezekiel will crawl out of nowhere and hound this thread.
What?! Why?

But you give Serbia 12pts for Eurovision every single year
Respectively Turkey gets 10
Old 11-16-2007, 06:39 AM   #160
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
Yeah all of us never leave America and think America is way better none of us travel abroad to experience other people and other cultures ever none of us watch the news and know about what's happening all around the world puhleeze.
There is a stereotype about Americans not using grammatically correct English. Your post is an example

None of us travels abroad....
None of us watches the news and knows about...

None is a contraction for "not one", and so verbs following it have to be treated accordingly. There is your English lesson for the day! (And believe me, this is the same in British English as it is in American English).
Old 11-16-2007, 06:40 AM   #161
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
What?! Why?

Respectively Turkey gets 10
I mean there are probably 400 000 Turks in Switzerland, so that helps their vote. The Serbs rig the voting

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 11-16-2007, 06:41 AM   #162
country flag R.Federer

Quote:
What?! Why?

I believe that is part of the stereotype of one of the few things that they are good at
Old 11-16-2007, 06:50 AM   #163
country flag R.Federer

I have some friends of Indian origin in Vevey who contributed these:

Indians, well they either emigrated to the US and work in Silicon Valley or they stayed back in India and work in a call center.
Somewhere in each backyard is an elephant.
There are no toilets in India, anywhere.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:03 AM   #164
country flag bokehlicious
Banned!

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Federer View Post

There are also some very positive stereotypes about the Tamil refugees-- they are considered to be very clean, very honest, very hardworking, and do their own work and live their lives trying to integrate into Swiss society without forcing their religion and cultures into their new country. They are truly beloved.
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:08 AM   #165
country flag R.Federer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPower View Post
Eh? about which -- Tamils or Serbs?

Where in Switzerland do you live? Are there any Tamils there? In Berne, there are many. Many, many. This topic (not about Tamils in particular, but the different types of foreigners in Berne) comes up frequently amongst so many people -- I'll try to dig up something in print for you, I mean a link.

You surprise me -- do you live in a small village with few foreigners?